Sani2c 2015

Gringo

I did the adventure for the 4th time with my sister and it was fantastic, managed to come 2nd in the mixed. I though that the new start venue was fantastic and Jolivet was too. I must say that I would have been enraged if I got stuck behind the Super Group lot on day 2. A few of my friends were and its really poor form. The goodie bag was shocking, you can almost feel the the cheap Chinese toxins seeping into your epidermis if you put any of it on. I also really hate the finish at the beach, it is an absolute mess trying to get you car in there to load your stuff and more importantly there was NO BEER AT THE FINISH!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!. Still a nice event  but I agree I was also under the impression that there were a few cracks appearing in what was traditionally a superb event.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The logistics at the beach finish was such a mess.  No time to soak up the fact that you finished such a cool ride.  You just get shouted through and told to get your crap and get out.  Guess R12 000 only gets you so far...

Quality of the kit we got is also appalling.  My hoodie is already falling apart at some of the seams and the down in the black jacket is starting to come out through the stitching. 

I wonder whether they struggled to get a proper kit sponsor this year.

The logistics at the beach finish was such a mess.  No time to soak up the fact that you finished such a cool ride.  You just get shouted through and told to get your crap and get out.  Guess R12 000 only gets you so far...

Quality of the kit we got is also appalling.  My hoodie is already falling apart at some of the seams and the down in the black jacket is starting to come out through the stitching. 

I wonder whether they struggled to get a proper kit sponsor this year.

I doubt it was a challenge getting a sponsor, it was more than like (A) a cost cutting exersize and or (B) supporting local industry by asking them to create the 7500 odd garments.

I loved every minute of it, but have to agree, either do something properly or don't do it.  W2W gives you 1 jacket or 1 bag each year.  Nothing more, nothing less, but it's a proper jacket / bag.

I know the history of Sani has been mega kit etc, but ja we mustn't forget it's actually about the TRAIL and not the goody bag.

so it seems the general consensus is that people will prefer to ride up the hill to the school than finish on the beach?

i tend to agree

Can't say as this was my first, but the beach was a nightmare.  Plus I'd prefer not to moer into the lagoon next time :blush: (I just keep reminding myself that Konny Looser also took a dive)

Edited by NicoBoshoff

This was my 2nd Sani2C and my partners 1st.

It was fantastic, we rode in the adventure finishing in 14:24.

I'm a little surprised about all the negativity about the clothes, we are both very happy with ours and think it's very generous, a jacket, body warmer and a t-shirt. I think you guys that are moaning have been spoilt in the past.

The floating bridge and the beach were also very exciting and I hope they stay.

If I were pushed to give one criticism it would have be those "super group" okes that were seeded one group in front of us (we were E). Some of them really had no skills and it caused a lot of frustration. It was actually dangerous because some of the faster guys were taking big chances in an effort to get past.

In general I feel really privileged and fortunate to have ridden such a great ride.

Its not the fact that the clothes are cheap, it more about a standard that was set for 10 years. So if you maintain a high standard and suddenly drop it, its fairly noticeable. 

Jirre, what happened to riding the route for what it has to offer. If you choosing events because clothes.... eish.

In general I feel really privileged and fortunate to have ridden such a great ride.

We paid for that privilege and everything that goes with it as a package... which included the goodies 

Aca Joe t-shirts are a weird fit and the Ndola kit from the years before had an even stranger fit, let alone sizing. The original black Saloman jackets kept you alternatively too cold or too hot but never usefully warm.

The coloured (dark grey / silver) Saloman fleeces were 100% and the heavier AJ jackets were 100% plus the sleeveless thing from last year.

Has never been anything but touch and go and is unimportant in the broader picture.

For what it's worth I'll take this year's t-shirt over the AJ'sanytime and this year's hoodie over the original black Saloman jackets.

But like I said, a bit of fun that is not particularly important in the scheme of things.

After doing 7 S2C I started to saw standards slipping about 2 years ago while the entry fee just gets higher every year . And this trend will continue because people are still standing in long lines just to get a entry . Gave my entry to a hubber two years ago and have moved onto Three Towers for value and fun . How long this will last we don't know .  :wacko:

Wow, once again, a great ride. We are social back marker riders, who are somewhat fit, with some skill, but generally like to take things easy.

But I finished this ride with a set of mixed emotions. This was our 5th edition, and we started in group K. My general impression is that things are changing. Be that for good or worse, it does not matter. All the first timers that I chatted to on the route loved it. I love riding this event (the Adventure). However, what makes this event for me (and remember this was number 5) is the more soft issues around it. We used to get hand towels and a choccie in our tents, these are no longer. The kit has been spoken about, no arm warmers no beanie I missed the event not being in Underberg. This ride always punts local community - by having it at the school I felt I was contributing to the school and the town of Underberg (I specifically use the words feel, which are emotions). The new registration while feeling more professional, misses having all the kids running around helping with boxes etc etc. However, parking was easier, box off load easier. Was talking to one of the teachers at the coffee shop in town and I understand the need for the move.

Day 1, I did not like riding the first bit on tar (blegh blegh blegh). It was also the first time in 5 years that we had to wait at the floating bridge - but then it was obvious with the amount of water grass on the bridge that people had fallen in. But man love the folk from the patensy home at the water stop. They all want to grab your bike and hold it upright for you, wash your glasses, fill you bottle and all this in exchange for a smile and a thank you. Oh and  tip for you okes, there is a bar at the second water point. If you ask for a drink in cycling kit, you get a 50% discount. Might explain why we dropped a few batches. Turned into a 30 minute "stop".

Day 2 we started in group M (I wonder why). So going down the Umko was a mixed bag. But again, it is the mindset, unless you are A batch, chances are you WILL be held up somewhere along the route. For a short while the guys in front of me where going at full tilt, but it was slower than me. I did not complain they were doing the best they could and also wanted to enjoy it, but eventually they let me pass. At some point I was stuck behind a a rider who clearly lacked skill, but at least was trying, so you have to just be patient. At one point I had a big gap to the riders behind me, so I just stopped. Waited till the guys caught me and asked if we could wait for the front riders to be about 100 meters in front so we could just let rip. A few others also waited, and then it was just let the brakes go and ride it like you stole it.

The sad part was seeing a concussed rider that had to be taken by heli to hospital, but having to wait for a medic to arrive and then being told she had to walk out to get to the medic (spoke to her partner at the dinner table). The medical side is one area where they need to look at things, an sosApp just does not cut it !

Some people just lacked the skill to ride the single track and descents fast, but had loads of power to get up the hills. What they lacked in skill they made up in fitness. I kinda felt like a taxi, fast on the down hills - but slow on the uphills! The uphills are great. But really, I have very little sympathy for guys who were dehydrating cause they ran out of water - but were only cycling with one water bottle! That is just silly.

The new Jolivliet is just awesome - and I mean eat as much Ola Ice cream as you like it just rad ! And who likes the rusks and biscuits, eat as much as you like (even put some in the box for the plane flight home!)

Days 3 was great, starting in group K again, other than waiting to get onto the bridge at the end. The lovely downhills, the hard work going up hill. Riding in Vernon crooks and to much traffic to actually ride to the top because there were to many walkers. On the bridge a few folk eventually took the chicken route because of time, others because they could see with the wind things would be a disaster. That tight bend round the column in the water had alot of people falling in, and also they did not leave enough space between the riders on the bridge so loads of folk went swimming. Heck we had to unclip and wait for guys to move before we could get going. And I waited till I had a clear run as I did not want to risk having to unclip when on two floating thingies. But I did loose my ego as I tried to jump the pallet and landed up in the sand !!

The end is very disapointing. It is just the end. We had not even stopped yet when a guy grabbed my bars wanting to cut my number off. Just like that over. And with no nandoes, there is no finishing gees, something I think they will need to look at.

The trail was also much more rutted and not as flowy as previous years, but again, first timers loved it and so did I.

So for my partner and I this was a mixed bag. The ride is changing and evolving all the time. Over the five years some things are good one year and bad the next. So guess what ... we will be back next year, all excited and waiting to see what has changed this time round !

There are just so many stories to tell. All the people you speak to on the ride, all the people you help, all just part of the memory bank that makes this a really social great event.

This was my 2nd Sani2C and my partners 1st.

It was fantastic, we rode in the adventure finishing in 14:24.

I'm a little surprised about all the negativity about the clothes, we are both very happy with ours and think it's very generous, a jacket, body warmer and a t-shirt. I think you guys that are moaning have been spoilt in the past.

The floating bridge and the beach were also very exciting and I hope they stay.

If I were pushed to give one criticism it would have be those "super group" okes that were seeded one group in front of us (we were E). Some of them really had no skills and it caused a lot of frustration. It was actually dangerous because some of the faster guys were taking big chances in an effort to get past.

Its not the fact that the clothes are cheap, it more about a standard that was set for 10 years. So if you maintain a high standard and suddenly drop it, its fairly noticeable. 

These two sum things up nicely.

The route is and always will be awesome!. But, when the bar is set high, which only folk who have done it for a while while will know, then you expect it to be that high always. First timers will love things are they are now.

However as I said in my earlier post, things change. Jolivliet is much improved, and I reckon there are more on the way - but who knows.

NO BEER AT THE FINISH!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!.

Yeh, I have to admit this is now a serious problem! Seems those restuarants at the beach have closed. Given that there are a million shebeens 10km back in the rural areas, surely one can be smokkeled onto the beach for a couple hours :)

Finished my first one and man, what a ride it was! :clap:  Even though I was a bit bleak about not receiving Aca Joe clothes, all disappointment vanished when the gun went off on Day 1. I can't remember not having a smile on my face during the whole off the 3 days (even up that nasty climb in Vernon Crooks), the trials were simply sublime!!

Looking back at it all and telling my colleagues about the trip, I was reminded about how privileged we are riding our bikes in the places we do. I mean, that view down the Umkomaas, just wow...

We did the race and came in just over 12h30, which I am supper happy about :thumbup:  A whole lot of good memories and an experience of a lifetime. Now on to the next one, whatever that may be.