Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

I'll take it.

Will make payment if you pm me your details and collect when next I am in your part of the world.

Dear Walter,

It is, regrettably, over-subscribed. You are number 3 on the list....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a Cape Storm top. Survivedva cold EC winter in sub-zero temps and a cold wet Trans Baviaans. Good SA merino wool, so you'd better buy from them otherwise this wool farmer will be pissed at you.

Damn, wish I'd known that. I have all but given up trying to get sense out of local outdoor wear suppliers.......just yesterday I was trying to find a Cape Storm or First Ascent rain suit. Salesman at Due South (George Mall) referred me to Midas.....

Cape Storm should be advertising that stuff on the hub.

Dear Walter,

It is, regrettably, over-subscribed. You are number 3 on the list....

In which case i will take it your preferred customers numers 1 and 2 do not take it

I mistakenly bought a Men's XL Endura BaaBaa Merino top. Too much hassle to send back to CRC.

Yours for R650 including Aramex delivery to you.

attachicon.gifEndura BaaBaa Merino Base Layer.JPG

Hi Johan

Would have taken this off you.  Have one and they are so good I need another.

Will be in your neck of the woods on Wed 11 to start the route you planned for me.  And then onto Struisbaai.  Will try and look you up when I am there.

Cheers

I mistakenly bought a Men's XL Endura BaaBaa Merino top. Too much hassle to send back to CRC.

Yours for R650 including Aramex delivery to you.

attachicon.gifEndura BaaBaa Merino Base Layer.JPG

Hi Johan

Would have taken this off you.  Have one and they are so good I need another.

Will be in your neck of the woods on Wed 11 to start the route you planned for me.  And then onto Struisbaai.  Will try and look you up when I am there.

Cheers

You do that!  See you on Wednesday. 

Damn, wish I'd known that. I have all but given up trying to get sense out of local outdoor wear suppliers.......just yesterday I was trying to find a Cape Storm or First Ascent rain suit. Salesman at Due South (George Mall) referred me to Midas.....

Cape Storm should be advertising that stuff on the hub.

I bought mine directly from Cape Storm

Merino wool - first, second and third choice. Always. Nothing that is synthetic will ever come close.

Just received my printer copies of maps from Christopher Fisher . Should I start packing my tubs ?

Just received my printer copies of maps from Christopher Fisher . Should I start packing my tubs ?

Make them your own now. Cutting up the narratives and putting them on the applicable maps can be very handy. Saves a lot of swapping of maps and narratives around, on your map board.

If you decide to do this you may need to reduce the narratives so that they don't interfere with the actual route.

PS packing of the tubs is a part of the whole experience and can be great fun. Get creative with what is inside. Your tub can give you something to look forward to at the end of sometimes/most times very hard days.

Though then I would like to catch Lehana and Rissink just before the Osseberg and convince them to cross at night(just cos it sounds lik a real stupid thing to do). Marnitz would be nice if you catch me just before Stettyns and that I can go through there in company of a Freedom challenge Legend.

To cross Osseberg at night might be a real stupid thing to do, Graham did it, so it's doable.

I've never gone round Stetteyns, it's totally totally TOTALLY overgrown, I hear when you've done 5 challenges you are allow to go around and enjoy the tarr......

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Just for interest sake....any doing RASA or RTR on a 650b rig? And what tyres will you be running?

Finding it hard to make up my mind on a set of tyres or front & rear combo. Sidewall protection etc... Only tubeless ready tyres available in 650b. Tried a set of 650b Crossmarks (Used LUST on my 29er - no problem) but very porous side walls and air loss is quick.Would be an expensive exercise to start buying in tyres just to test run them.... :wacko:  Currently use Nobby Nic's.... I am sure there are better out there...

Just for interest sake....any doing RASA or RTR on a 650b rig? And what tyres will you be running?

Finding it hard to make up my mind on a set of tyres or front & rear combo. Sidewall protection etc... Only tubeless ready tyres available in 650b. Tried a set of 650b Crossmarks (Used LUST on my 29er - no problem) but very porous side walls and air loss is quick.Would be an expensive exercise to start buying in tyres just to test run them.... :wacko:  Currently use Nobby Nic's.... I am sure there are better out there...

Protection sidewalls. And them some!

You'll regret a weight weenie tyre when passing the first patch of shale - on the exit from the Umko river stretch before you start the climb in particular (from personal experience). You're carrying a moerse pack - use the strong tyres and chow more biltong on the ride to drop weight  :thumbup: .

As Ryan said sidewall protection is key. Schwalbe is known for not having that so if you go schwalbe definitely snakeskin versions. Porous sidewalls more latex and take a brand which is not just the fine stuff but a bit more chunky latex it will block em quicker. Tubeless or tubeless ready shouldn't matter. I like knobly nick not sure if they will last all the way to Cape Town though send a tire to a halfway post.

Jill and I rode Bontrager XR3 2.30 Team Issue on the front and Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on the rear. Tires lasted the whole ride - no problems. It looks like both of them are made in 27.5 size.

I ran low on sealant once so you want to make sure you have extra. I plan on having two top up bottles at the start and will get two more bottles halfway. Lots of thorns in the Karoo! I will probably take one spare tube and in addition to regular boots am going to try Slime 2030-A Tire Patch Kit for side wall damage. I'm hoping that with that and sealant I can survive a sidewall cut. If you have to resort to tubes I think you're going to be pretty screwed. I lost count of how many thorn heads are still stuck in my tires.

Archived