Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Thanks for the warning . I will plan for that . NO power is not part of my planning !!! Dont care for phone and tracker but IPOD will stay on !!

Didn't find power an issue until Masakala.

Vuvu is a joke power wise. Limited time period and like one plug point. That's if the fuel for the genie isn't powering the locals genie... PLAN on not being able to charge up here and power up any other opportunity prior. 

Also keep asking for more food at Vuvu... they seemed to keep it stashed in the back and ration it out in the hope that there would be plenty leftovers to take home. The food is there. Ask for it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vuvu is a joke power wise. Limited time period and like one plug point. That's if the fuel for the genie isn't powering the locals genie... PLAN on not being able to charge up here and power up any other opportunity prior. 

Also keep asking for more food at Vuvu... they seemed to keep it stashed in the back and ration it out in the hope that there would be plenty leftovers to take home. The food is there. Ask for it.

OK, so that buggers my racing strategy. I had hope to carry a large bobbejaan spanner for emergency roadside repairs. It will have to stay at home to make space for the small petrol genset I'll have to carry.....oh wait, maybe just some paraffin for the lamps would be a better strategy. 

21 Days to go........ 

All the best for the 14 Days to go guys !!!!!!

Welcome back : Andrew Barnes !!!

UNDER THE RADAR!!!

http://www.freedomchallenge.org.za/media/riders/rasa2015/102.jpg

21 Days to go........ 

All the best for the 14 Days to go guys !!!!!!

Welcome back : Andrew Barnes !!!

oops, double post. new dark horse has emerged. This is the guy who taught martin dreyer which way to go(sort of!) has major unfinished business, whoo boy!

OK, so that buggers my racing strategy. I had hope to carry a large bobbejaan spanner for emergency roadside repairs. It will have to stay at home to make space for the small petrol genset I'll have to carry.....oh wait, maybe just some paraffin for the lamps would be a better strategy. 

Glow sticks and fuel tabs  :thumbup:  :clap:

oops, double post. new dark horse has emerged. This is the guy who taught martin dreyer which way to go(sort of!) has major unfinished business, whoo boy!

Yeah me too Major unfinished business........

Haven't slept at :

• Allandale, will have to do a recce the day before and make use of Dana's hospitality
  • Ntsikeni - last chance to attempt, maybe the mix grill train will force me there.
  • Kranzkop- only did a 2 hour power nap
  • Toekomst- Really don't know how I missed it in the past
  • Hadley- a must !!!!! to make the plan go round and round
  • Rondawel - The wind always kept me fighting on my bike....

Carl Crous told this guys once that he must have a good look at us because he won't see us again, and he didn't, I on the other hand haven't go the same outlook as Commander Crous.......

Time ........

only 

time will tell..........

But then again, I only race myself and my own time.........

Vuvu is a joke power wise. Limited time period and like one plug point.  PLAN on not being able to charge up here and power up any other opportunity prior. 

It will depend on how cold it will get, serious cold, no power at all for the whole country, but the fact remain that there will not be electricity at Malekholonyane ( maybe no water too) and no electricity at Hadley, they never had the any electricity.

The only solution is to eat lots of carrots and get use to the darkness, because it's going to get very dark, the upside of it is that you will experience stars like never before and actually wish for no electricity.

There is nothing quiet as spectacular as Lehana's covered with millions of shining stars, so near that you can touch them and  you will actually want to spend the night and enjoy the grace.......

Viva No Electricity !!!!

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:

A word of warning about Masakala - the power outlet by the kettle / fridge is dodgy. Blew one of the chargers for my lights there.

We won't be getting much help from the moon this year as we ride through a new moon. The stars are going to be impressive.

Hadley has a generator that they run for a couple of hours. The granny likes to watch some TV. :-) Awesome place - we had a long break there, Bennie and Anine have great hospitality and it makes the day through Mordor a bit easier.

It will depend on how cold it will get, serious cold, no power at all for the whole country, but the fact remain that there will not be electricity at Malekholonyane ( maybe no water too) and no electricity at Hadley, they never had the any electricity.

The only solution is to eat lots of carrots and get use to the darkness, because it's going to get very dark, the upside of it is that you will experience stars like never before and actually wish for no electricity.

There is nothing quiet as spectacular as Lehana's covered with millions of shining stars, so near that you can touch them and you will actually want to spend the night and enjoy the grace.......

Viva No Electricity !!!!

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Malekholonyane or Ongeluksnek this year? Genie power at Ongeluksnek and a nice roaring fire.

Malekholonyane or Ongeluksnek this year? Genie power at Ongeluksnek and a nice roaring fire.

Will be Malekholonyane if the water last......

Yeah me too Major unfinished business........

Haven't slept at :

• Allandale, will have to do a recce the day before and make use of Dana's hospitality
  • Ntsikeni - last chance to attempt, maybe the mix grill train will force me there.

Allendale and Ntsikeni difficult choice skip or not.

Tempting to skip both and just sleep at Centacow. Cuts out a possible night departure from allendale as its confusing in the dark. Same for Ntsikeni approach and departure in the dark not so easy for those who haven't been there before(several times) But then you miss out on the famous Allendale food and hospitality and those comfortable beds and spectacular setting at Ntsikeni. Malekonyhane sound like a place to skip with the short stage on the day, Gonna be crowded at Tinana Mission on some days.

7 days

Relax, sleep lots and spend the rest of the quality time with the family and don't get sick !!!!

Only a few days before the start of a life time experience.....

Bike check:

New chain two weeks ago

Change of gear ratio's

Today

reasonably thorough clean

Brakpads all new

Brake bleed

Handlebar tweaks

Gear cable replacement

oil change(in progress)

Bike board(recovered from mail man)

fork pressure check

Seatpost pressure check

new tyres going on tomorrow

Bike check:

New chain two weeks ago

Change of gear ratio's

Today

reasonably thorough clean

Brakpads all new

Brake bleed

Handlebar tweaks

Gear cable replacement

oil change(in progress)

Bike board(recovered from mail man)

fork pressure check

Seatpost pressure check

new tyres going on tomorrow

Check the BB and the free wheel body too, they have been known to go (quite regularly) on the FC. 

Everything of the best to all riding. Enjoy the experience.

Archived