Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

i don't think it was ever in doubt, but the record looks pretty safe for another year. by this time today Martin was already in rhodes (and then he pushed on to chesney wold!)

On a bit of a side note - I had an interesting chat to someone on the know saying that if the race was 2 days longer that year, Graham would've taken 1st spot, based on his consistent rest. It wasn't much but it was more than Martin and Alex, who were stuffed towards the end...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a bit of a side note - I had an interesting chat to someone on the know saying that if the race was 2 days longer that year, Graham would've taken 1st spot, based on his consistent rest. It wasn't much but it was more than Martin and Alex, who were stuffed towards the end...

dunno what that really means?you race to the end. if it was two days longer then the end is two days longer and you'd plan accordingly.

edit:think your oke in the know is talking crud! I was there, martin was actually doing pretty well(considering he was also saying howzit to his month old baby who had doubled in size)! just had a look on the times, in 2012, graham came in what was then the 4th fastest time ever, but it was over 2,5 days behind martin.

dunno what that really means?you race to the end. if it was two days longer then the end is two days longer and you'd plan accordingly.

edit:think your oke in the know is talking crud! I was there, martin was actually doing pretty well(considering he was also saying howzit to his month old baby who had doubled in size)! just had a look on the times, in 2012, graham came in what was then the 4th fastest time ever, but it was over 2,5 days behind martin.

Was wondering who would jump on the 'but there aren't 2 extra days' band wagon...

It was a theoretical statement regarding the benefits of getting some sleep and sticking to a game plan over getting hardly any sleep and getting caught up in a to-and-fro of a neck and neck race. He wasn't talking 'crud', just making a point. Martin himself admits to being really buggered and caught up in a race with Alex that had them both not sleeping when they were meant to be and anxious as to whether the other was sneaking past or not. He did not plan such a race it unfolded as such and a number of things fell into place - again, as Martin will tell you.

The point I'm making is as you've eluded too, the record is going to be seriously tough to break and that a solid game plan which involves rest and giving the body time to recover can undo a race-to-the-death approach. As seen tonight with a small error potentially costing Tim (I'm not saying it will, but it may) while Andrew gets some rest.

Was wondering who would jump on the 'but there aren't 2 extra days' band wagon...

It was a theoretical statement regarding the benefits of getting some sleep and sticking to a game plan over getting hardly any sleep and getting caught up in a to-and-fro of a neck and neck race. He wasn't talking 'crud', just making a point. Martin himself admits to being really buggered and caught up in a race with Alex that had them both not sleeping when they were meant to be and anxious as to whether the other was sneaking past or not. He did not plan such a race it unfolded as such and a number of things fell into place - again, as Martin will tell you.

The point I'm making is as you've eluded too, the record is going to be seriously tough to break and that a solid game plan which involves rest and giving the body time to recover can undo a race-to-the-death approach. As seen tonight with a small error potentially costing Tim (I'm not saying it will, but it may) while Andrew gets some rest.

I get the point your okie is trying to make - adventure endurance sports will always have a component where you have to balance the trade off of rest/race. If i remember correctly from that year Tweet was relatively refreshed at the finish because he'd ridden hard, but taken long evening breaks, he won last year's race quite comfortably. But you can't really compare the two - 10day 16hrs vs 13 days 9 hours. Tweet was probably still in the eastern cape when Martin finished!

anyway, back to the fun. Tim is really stuffing up his evening right now - now he's traversing the wrong side of the river valley! I think this saga is playing into Andrew's hands - you got any local pmb knowledge on how much training he's been doing?!

ok. presentation done, off to bed. that wasn't supposed to take so long. damn you FC!

Last night was the most riveted I have been in front of a screen for years!

It's hard to believe that a legend of the race can get lost. This is a man who knows that valley like very few do. He's got a built in compass and I'm not sure if he even carries maps.

Tim's tracks in the Vuvu Valley are amazing and show how hard the nav in the dark can be. Tired, no moon, get disorientated, end up heading the wrong way! 

There's a lot to be said for starting early and riding into the light if you are not a race snake on the FC.

Last night was the most riveted I have been in front of a screen for years!

It's hard to believe that a legend of the race can get lost. This is a man who knows that valley like very few do. He's got a built in compass and I'm not sure if he even carries maps.

Tim's tracks in the Vuvu Valley are amazing and show how hard the nav in the dark can be. Tired, no moon, get disorientated, end up heading the wrong way! 

There's a lot to be said for starting early and riding into the light if you are not a race snake on the FC.

PS Andrew B seems to be boxing clever at the moment, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on the "Old Ballie" Tim to get to CT first. (Early days though)

Mike, Glenn, Tim & perhaps others don't ride with maps or compass, if they get lost they do it proper. Happened to Mike/Casper in Elandsberg on R2C in March as well, they slept out in rain/storm. Tim has burnt way more pennies than Andrew/Gawie over these first 3 days and will need to recover some of that, one sleep will do it and Vuvu is actually a good place to do that now. TIm likes to keep his competitors guessing and he has a proven ability and reputation that he does not stop. Interesting race so far like a 5-day test match?

...I think this saga is playing into Andrew's hands - you got any local pmb knowledge on how much training he's been doing?!

Looking at Mike Woolnough's performance, training may be overrated ...

I get the point your okie is trying to make - adventure endurance sports will always have a component where you have to balance the trade off of rest/race. If i remember correctly from that year Tweet was relatively refreshed at the finish because he'd ridden hard, but taken long evening breaks, he won last year's race quite comfortably. But you can't really compare the two - 10day 16hrs vs 13 days 9 hours. Tweet was probably still in the eastern cape when Martin finished!

anyway, back to the fun. Tim is really stuffing up his evening right now - now he's traversing the wrong side of the river valley! I think this saga is playing into Andrew's hands - you got any local pmb knowledge on how much training he's been doing?!

ok. presentation done, off to bed. that wasn't supposed to take so long. damn you FC!

I did just compare the two?... A despite what you may think they are often compared as an illustration of the two different approaches. However, I'll let my okie (Glenn) and Martin know that their endurance event knowledge is flawed  :thumbup: .

Yeah - I've got an idea of what Andrew may have been up to the last few months...

so andrew has made the passing move. is that the final lead change till diemersfontein?

(i doubt it!)

I did just compare the two?... A despite what you may think they are often compared as an illustration of the two different approaches. However, I'll let my okie (Glenn) and Martin know that their endurance event knowledge is flawed  :thumbup: .

Yeah - I've got an idea of what Andrew may have been up to the last few months...

ok. I defer to forest then!

so andrew has made the passing move. is that the final lead change till diemersfontein?

(i doubt it!)

Going to be an interesting race.

Where would you say is the next potential area where they will split again? Be it, slightly different route choice or sleep choice...

Going to be an interesting race.

Where would you say is the next potential area where they will split again? Be it, slightly different route choice or sleep choice...

I'd be speculating, I really don't know what Andrew's form (and strategy is like). It would seem he's conciously held himself back so far, which is a change from the last time where he's blasted away with nervous energy(think he pulled out at glen edward, on the 2nd morning once!). there is quite a bit of history here, these guys duked it out for the 2009 title(until andrew got caught in a snowstorm) - he's got unfinished business. 

But as a rough guess, I figure tim could have been planning on pushing a big gap here, hoping to push andrew out of his comfort zone. If all things are equal and they arrive at prince albert together, I'd bet on andrew taking it. 

round about way of answering the question - bonthoek/loutebron portages from slaapkranz.

WTF? where is Tim James off to? heading east instead of south west?

Sleep monsters man...

Archived