Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

We where pinned down at rondawel worst in a long time apparently but conditions a lot milder now

I can imagine, last tuesday was pretty crap in the afternoon! here is what it was like last year, will do similiar for this week.

post-1830-0-91909500-1435235760_thumb.gif

new update for this week - direction been from slightly right to dead on the nose - what will the storm do?

post-1830-0-90283700-1435236387_thumb.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Maarten

Please move your tracker 100m to the right so that I see that its actually you.

Just kidding! Hope the foot is good and that the trail and challenge is living up to your expectations.

Cheers

hey ja. keep it up. you on track for the FATBIKE record (but are coming second in the Maarten record - stands at 16 days 9 hours) 

Fascinated by this:

Andrew Hunt has been bashing around the bushes on a regular basis for the past two weeks (both during the day and night), but he also had no issue with riding alone or into the night.

He seems like another guy on his own mission and quite prepared to face the challenge day by day.

Now he latches onto Andrew Barnes and for now seems to be matching Barnes for pace.

It could get really interesting if Barnes finds someone who he is compatible with and Barnes gets that big engine going - I sense some late nights coming up watching this unfold and other than Stettyns we should be able to track them to the finish.

Maarten, are you carrying an injury or just enjoying the hospitality of Dennehof?

Yes I had a splinter go into my foot at Willowmore took a cm out myself and carried on into Prince Albert. Doctor here removed another 2cm of splinter from my left foot today. Can ride but barely walk. will start moving again fromn tomorrow but i am done doubling up it seems.

Comrade, You have served the DWK with honour. Take care.

I agree with you, the Osseberg is one of the most stunning parts of the trail.

hey are you okes not meant to be pedalling your bikes ?

Lets get back to real matters.

how is dirty doing ?

Yes I had a splinter go into my foot at Willowmore took a cm out myself and carried on into Prince Albert. Doctor here removed another 2cm of splinter from my left foot today. Can ride but barely walk. will start moving again fromn tomorrow but i am done doubling up it seems.

Sorry to hear this. Get strong, the ladder awaits tomorrow (or the next day).

dirt-rider got an early start this morning. Looks like he will be aiming to be at the start of the Ossewa Jeep track at first light. Big day for him. There is the potential to do a double stage or stage and a half on this section.

Not sure if you'll see this or not but all the best Pierre! Keep the focus bud. LOTS of people supporting you!!!

Not sure if you'll see this or not but all the best Pierre! Keep the focus bud. LOTS of people supporting you!!!

+1

Tim, Theo and Fjord charging to PA, Andrew heading into Willowmore. Technically could be a 6 hr gap when AB gets to Willowmore but he may need to rest for a long solo haul to PA. How long or far will Theo and Fjord go with Tim, he may take them into some dark places in the next 3 days.

Hi Maarten

Please move your tracker 100m to the right so that I see that its actually you.

Just kidding! Hope the foot is good and that the trail and challenge is living up to your expectations.

Cheers

Its at the coffee shop now and I am actually wearing bibshorts. apparently just some small hills on todays route for me.

I evenlaughed when the doctor chucked his knife in my foot, ok that might have been the anesthetics.

Start doubling up commander you can catch up with the limping German

Tim, Theo and Fjord charging to PA, Andrew heading into Willowmore. Technically could be a 6 hr gap when AB gets to Willowmore but he may need to rest for a long solo haul to PA. How long or far will Theo and Fjord go with Tim, he may take them into some dark places in the next 3 days.

Their boxes are standing ready at Dennehof sinds yesterday evening actually expected them to join me for breakfast. Will have to be coffee in the kloof now.

Fascinated by this:

Andrew Hunt has been bashing around the bushes on a regular basis for the past two weeks (both during the day and night), but he also had no issue with riding alone or into the night.

He seems like another guy on his own mission and quite prepared to face the challenge day by day.

Now he latches onto Andrew Barnes and for now seems to be matching Barnes for pace.

It could get really interesting if Barnes finds someone who he is compatible with and Barnes gets that big engine going - I sense some late nights coming up watching this unfold and other than Stettyns we should be able to track them to the finish.

fascinating indeed! Theo and Fjord are only a day behind tim and have been chargin well on their own. they actually got into rhodes quicker than tim did(thanks to his vuvu valley shenanigans) but then dropped quite a lot of time with a 14hour stop at brosterlea. they've been riding damn well since.

Andrew hunt seems to have been riding quite quickly at times, probably got lost a lot. he has spent lots of time in support stations too, plenty of 13hour stops.

the other factor - the wind doesn't seem too bad today, infact it's a slight tailwind.

Comrade? he's not a ruskie!

Archived