Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pierre you're a legend! Was watching and hoping man. Anybody that attempts this deserves huge respect. And on a single speed nogal.... Next time meneer [emoji106]

Things could get very interesting tonight!! Tim in Stettyns Kloof (8km portage). Andrew B, who is a machine on foot, (also on the bike of course!) is on his way there. As per what we saw in the Vuvu Valley, anything can happen when it is dark and you have tired riders. It looks like Tim is about 4 hrs ahead at this stage. Down to the wire.

oh bugger ! Sorry Pierre!

At least it was a fall and not something silly like getting lost. 

What respect, first time doing this, and on a single speed. Much inspiration for no excuses. 

thought they were not allowed in the Stettyns at night ?

I think it is more of a recommendation nowadays.

Pierre, if you write a blog or a write up of your journey, I personally would love to read it. Please do share it with us your loyal fans. I'm sure that there are others here who would like to read it too.

so who made it first ????

They're going through Stettynskloof darkzone...

Following the tracking here and you'll pick them up when they emerge....

Tim's tracker not showing up on the map - so he must still be in Stettyns? Allan Barnes also in Stettyns ...

Must say - I probably would've turned my tracker off a while back if I was either one of these two guys...

thought they were not allowed in the Stettyns at night ?

That was the case. time window used to be 6am till 10am IIRC. it was taken away in 2009 I think

a)it used to be a lot roffer, the recent 2 fires have cleared out a lot of severely overgrown stuff

b)it was for safety reasons, BUT it was argued that it wasn't actually that dangerous - so far no one has had issues

c)the onus is on the racer to decide whether to wait for daybreak or not. luckily it never got to the case of deciding a race win, but you can imagine the issues if someone had built up a nice lead only to have to wait 70 kms from the finish for someone else to catch up and have a restart on the final day. invariably only the out and out racesnakes are going to do it at night and they have often done it before and/or are pretty hardcore.

Archived