Tip Trans Cederberg MTB 115km

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

Hi, entererd this race for the first time, in fact it will be my longest MTB ride ever, on my new bike as well.

what are the experiences of okes who have done the ride before?

I see a nasty 10 km climb, yippee.

any tips? ideas? thoughts as I start mentally preparing myself.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, entererd this race for the first time, in fact it will be my longest MTB ride ever, on my new bike as well.

what are the experiences of okes who have done the ride before?

I see a nasty 10 km climb, yippee.

any tips? ideas? thoughts as I start mentally preparing myself.

Keep some energy in the tank, he last 20 km back is gonna be tough. Remember that just before you enter Town they make you turn left for a 10km fun ride. O yeah and dont forget the last Hill with the notice board that says HIER WORD NIE GESTAP NIE. Make sure you take a dip in the Pool afterwards. Enjoy and C U there. PS take a buff to cover your face as the vehicles that pass kick up a lot of dust.

only have a dual sus, so good on that one.

"HIER WORD NIE GESTAP NIE"

I don't understand Afrikaans, I think at that point in the race I won't understand English either.

Thanks for the 'buff' idea, will do.

excited already.

Is there some food at water station or do I have to carry the kitchen sink?

only have a dual sus, so good on that one.

"HIER WORD NIE GESTAP NIE"

I don't understand Afrikaans, I think at that point in the race I won't understand English either.

Thanks for the 'buff' idea, will do.

excited already.

Is there some food at water station or do I have to carry the kitchen sink?

VERY WELL STOCKED. 2 WATER BOTTLES WILL DO UNLESS YOU WANT TO RACE, THEN YOU NEED YOUR CAMELBAK. iT MEANS THAT WE DONT WALK HERE... :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I DONT KNOW HOW FIT YOU ARE. IF LIKE ME YOU ARE AVERAGE THEN I SUGEST THAT YOU DONT START TO FAST.( GET CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE AT THE START.) ITS CONTAGEOUS WHEN THE RACING SNAKES RIDE BEHIND THE TIP TRANS TRUCK THROUGH TOWN(NEUTRAL ZONE) :clap: :clap:

I DONT KNOW HOW FIT YOU ARE. IF LIKE ME YOU ARE AVERAGE THEN I SUGEST THAT YOU DONT START TO FAST.( GET CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE AT THE START.) ITS CONTAGEOUS WHEN THE RACING SNAKES RIDE BEHIND THE TIP TRANS TRUCK THROUGH TOWN(NEUTRAL ZONE) :clap: :clap:

I am in good shape, I climb well enough, cycle daily, did a 3:36 Argus this year in a slowbee group. I'm the whole August month at home (changing jobs) so I will get enough training in.

I was actually planning to nail the first 30km, take a nice slow climb on the biggie climb and then cruise out the race and nail it in the last 10km. That was my tactic last year on the long Argus MTB Challenge. Nail the 'flats' ,and self preservation on the climbs and it worked.

I'm not the fastest, but I can ride and climb whole day.

I'm ditching the Camel Back and baggy shorts, I want to look like a race snake,

Ek sal Smurfy's se plan gebruik, veiliger , LOL

Haha - I remember from last year you could earn some bucks on the climb up the pass. So the front bunch was very nervous with breakouts etc.

As copperhead said the race is not too hard if the weather conditions are good. I assume it can get pretty tough though if there is a headwind. So get a group together is a good advice.

Hey copperhead - keen to build a group from the start this time? ;-)

I am in good shape, I climb well enough, cycle daily, did a 3:36 Argus this year in a slowbee group. I'm the whole August month at home (changing jobs) so I will get enough training in.

I was actually planning to nail the first 30km, take a nice slow climb on the biggie climb and then cruise out the race and nail it in the last 10km. That was my tactic last year on the long Argus MTB Challenge. Nail the 'flats' ,and self preservation on the climbs and it worked.

I'm not the fastest, but I can ride and climb whole day.

I'm ditching the Camel Back and baggy shorts, I want to look like a race snake,

Ek sal Smurfy's se plan gebruik, veiliger , LOL

:w00t: :clap: :w00t: :clap: Will look out for you. I have a Neon Giro helmet with a SMURFY at the back and will be wearing the RENAULT shirt again. Did the race last year with 2 bottles and made a point of stopping at water point 2,3,4,5. Wanted to see what my time would be with all the pit stops, with the Karoo to Coast race in mind. Wasnt that fit and did it in 5:30 with stops. Just remember that there is no such luxury as a lekker down hill once you get to the top of the pass. You still need to peddle down hill. Did the karoo to Coast in 4:31 with one stop, no camelbak and 2 water bottles.

Haha - I remember from last year you could earn some bucks on the climb up the pass. So the front bunch was very nervous with breakouts etc.

As copperhead said the race is not too hard if the weather conditions are good. I assume it can get pretty tough though if there is a headwind. So get a group together is a good advice.

Hey copperhead - keen to build a group from the start this time? ;-)

Will want to join the group to see how long I can last till you drop me. :blush:

I sure am. Maybe we can even throw down one or 2 training rides. Not sure where you are but I have a nice ride planned for Saturday. Leaving trail and tar and doing about 100kms on and off road. If you keen let me know and I will post the route here.

Post the route. We are going to do the Bottlery Hills Green and Red routes(about 60km with about 1400m of climb) on Saterday in preparation for the Burger 60km. We are going to ride the Eensaamheid route to Durbanville on Sunday(about a 100km)

Sounds like an awesome ride you got planned.

From Tokai to fish hoek over old boyes drive. Then down to Simons town. Over black hill?? Through to cape point. Back to glen cairn. Over that hill to kommetjie. Then round the side to ou va padt. Up to the dam, round the dam then across to the saddle. Up to the mast then down back to Tokai. It's a great ride and nothing difficult or overly technical. Should be a reasonable 5 hour ride with a stop or 2 for coffee.

Sunday doing the Bastille race on my SS. We can maybe get a ride in next weekend?! Will keep in touch. (not sure about the names and spelling of some hills and names!!)

Sounds like an awesome ride you got planned. Enjoy Bastile. Who cares about spelling, we live to ride and ride to enjoy and make new friendships. :clap: :clap: :clap: :w00t:

I sure am. Maybe we can even throw down one or 2 training rides. Not sure where you are but I have a nice ride planned for Saturday. Leaving trail and tar and doing about 100kms on and off road. If you keen let me know and I will post the route here.

Argh - unfortunately this weekend I'm not in Cape Town.

Maybe one of the following weekends. I desperately need base training get going again and then it's nice not to ride alone for hours and hours...

My only advice, just because you start the ride with a head wind, does not mean you will end the ride with a tail wind. Did this race 2 years ago and the last 20km's was into a very strong head wind and we were on our own by then. Eventually made it, but sadly just after the cut off of 8 hours.