Who remembers?

DPG

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You were brought up well to call it maths, Son...

I do not know why, but when somebody calls it math, it irks me way more than it should. Hey, maybe I am becoming a Walter Matthau

We spent many a day in the ‘kleilat gat’ but I remember one incident pretty clearly when one of our friends got hit above the eye with a piece that had a stone in it.

Blood all over the place, ... we ran home (about 2km) with him leaving a trail of the red stuff as far as we went. By the time we got to his house he looked liked someone from a Zombie movie. Face and shirt soaked in blood!!

We just rang the front-door bell, and then ‘maak-ed spore” … his mom was a large dutch woman, even when friendly she sounded scary …. :devil: :nuke:  :nuke: 

Those were the days   :D  :D 

Reminds me of a different but similarly gory event from my youth...mate of mine lived on the edge of Baakens River valley, we used to go down and build rafts on the river (there were a few areas with largish ponds), fish for small mouth bass from them, one day cutting wattle saplings, I downed one near the ground but it didn't part cleanly, used it as a step to reach up for the next one.....as I started cutting, balancing on one leg on the stump...it parted and I slipped off the stump, the wedge shape of the stump gouged into by right shin, down to the bone....I shite my self, jumped up and ran up out of the valley to my mates house....on the way, I look across and see my shadow on the road and the skin flapping from my shin!! Haunts me to this day, that image! :eek: Not much blood but very deep wound.....Got 13 stitches and lots of attention at school!!!

Reminds me of a different but similarly gory event from my youth...mate of mine lived on the edge of Baakens River valley, we used to go down and build rafts on the river (there were a few areas with largish ponds), fish for small mouth bass from them, one day cutting wattle saplings, I downed one near the ground but it didn't part cleanly, used it as a step to reach up for the next one.....as I started cutting, balancing on one leg on the stump...it parted and I slipped off the stump, the wedge shape of the stump gouged into by right shin, down to the bone....I shite my self, jumped up and ran up out of the valley to my mates house....on the way, I look across and see my shadow on the road and the skin flapping from my shin!! Haunts me to this day, that image! :eek: Not much blood but very deep wound.....Got 13 stitches and lots of attention at school!!!

It’s amazing how we managed to make to adult hood without safe spaces and iPads ;)

We spent many a day in the ‘kleilat gat’ but I remember one incident pretty clearly when one of our friends got hit above the eye with a piece that had a stone in it.

Blood all over the place, ... we ran home (about 2km) with him leaving a trail of the red stuff as far as we went. By the time we got to his house he looked liked someone from a Zombie movie. Face and shirt soaked in blood!!

We just rang the front-door bell, and then ‘maak-ed spore” … his mom was a large dutch woman, even when friendly she sounded scary …. :devil: :nuke: :nuke:

Those were the days :D :D

We had a kleilat gat less than 1km from our house. It was only a stream but it had this dense white klei that was particularly accurate. Great for our neighborhood battles. Not so much for the surrounding houses. Think even Fands made a few appearances.

Conkers? Definitely. We used to soak the acorns in vinegar and bake them hard. Blue knuckles...

Conkers on the ground right now here. Tempted to thread a shoelace and challenge someone . . . . 

Conkers on the ground right now here. Tempted to thread a shoelace and challenge someone . . . .

I remember afternoons in the little village church graveyard scrounging for conkers with mates...weren't you supposed to bake them a bit or something? Takes me back almost 40 years....

Oven baked conkers were iron hard. You weren't supposed to do it but some people did secretly lol

Oven baked conkers were iron hard. You weren't supposed to do it but some people did secretly lol

OK...I was obviously that shifty 8 year old then.....

We had a kleilat gat less than 1km from our house. It was only a stream but it had this dense white klei that was particularly accurate. Great for our neighborhood battles. Not so much for the surrounding houses. Think even Fands made a few appearances.

We used to gooi at the passing trains on their way to Kempton from Pretoria, until the railway police came calling in the veld one day. Usain Bolt? Bliksem we ran and got away.

A Yamaha man. Respect!

Grew up with a MR50 and DT175's, six of us had DT's in high school. We had fork extenders,shock extenders and Acerbis mudguards on so they looked proper Motocross. Some okes even had RM tailpipes and Supertrapps. Nothing like the smell of R40 in the morning. We were proper ek se'.

He's older than you think, if he was a youngster he wouldn't know what an abacus is :ph34r:  

I think he is just a hipster and likes to pull out the abacus when he wants to split the bill at his local vegan restaurant