Should I get concerned? Cracked frame?

Rudi Pollard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IPhone for sure.

Nothing takes a close-up like an iPhone.

Or HTC

Oh, and it's cracked. Get a new frame

Iphone 5. Well spotted

• 1 month later...

So I had to send the frame to the states as the bike was bought there in 2012. Specialized declined my warranty claim stating that it is just the paint cracking.

I am going to take the bike to a few more local bike shops for a second, third and fourth opinion and will take it from there.

I was fairly sure that the frame would be replaced as it is a fairly obvious crack according to me...

Yea that's a crack. A replacement should be easy to come by. You shouldn't need to prove too much as the crack has propagated from a stress raiser. If you need some engineer references I am happy to help. My 2c is that there is a lay up issue on that frame, The cracks seem to be at the inter tubular links suggesting that there is probably some material missing. Finally, I had no idea specialized had such terrible build quality, look at the waves the deformation of the hole, I am surprised it lasted that long.

So I had to send the frame to the states as the bike was bought there in 2012. Specialized declined my warranty claim stating that it is just the paint cracking.

I am going to take the bike to a few more local bike shops for a second, third and fourth opinion and will take it from there.

I was fairly sure that the frame would be replaced as it is a fairly obvious crack according to me...

Send them the pic you took of the inside, it's obviously a crack.

Shouldn't the warranty also cover the paint cracking?

Lapa: its a pity you are not in the Cape, as i have business contacts who can do a radiographic test for you. Up north, you should easily find a similar service provider. Will cost less than a new frame, and provide concrete proof it is a crack, or much peace of mind that it isn't.