Buycycle.co.za Misleading ad

NicoBoshoff

I saw this ad this morning too.

Thought it sounded fishy, and clicked through anyway.

Confirmed my suspicions and closed ad.

Saw my high horse standing in the corner of the room.... considered mounting it...

Had coffee instead.. forgot about ad.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No if you actually bother reading the whole thread you would have noted that I was not interested in buying the product. I circulated it to mates. I have XT brakes already.

Obviously it's not a case of buying and only then realising the issue. The e-mail circular was misleading. The site was clearer.

So you weren't even in the market for a set of brake? LOL. Do you know that supports my point even more. You weren't even disappointed, just bored or you assumed everybody else would fall for it like you did. Listen, I feels its my duty to tell you, the next time an advert comes on TV that says you can drive a BMW from R4999 per month *T&Cs Apply, read the fine print before you get excited.

I doubt it...

From the CPA:

29. General standards for marketing of goods or services.—A producer, importer, distributor, retailer or service provider must not market any goods or services—

(a)

in a manner that is reasonably likely to imply a false or misleading representation concerning those goods or services, as contemplated in section 41; or

(b)

in a manner that is misleading, fraudulent or deceptive in any way, including in respect of—

(i)

the nature, properties, advantages or uses of the goods or services;

(ii)

the manner in or conditions on which those goods or services may be supplied;

(iii)

the price at which the goods may be supplied, or the existence of, or relationship of the price to, any previous price or competitor’s price for comparable or similar goods or services;

(iv)

the sponsoring of any event; or

(v)

any other material aspect of the goods or services.

30. Bait marketing.—(1) A supplier must not advertise any particular goods or services as being available at a specified price in a manner that may result in consumers being misled or deceived in any respect relating to the actual availability of those goods or services from that supplier, at that advertised price.

So you weren't even in the market for a set of brake? LOL. Do you know that supports my point even more. You weren't even disappointed, just bored or you assumed everybody else would fall for it like you did. Listen, I feels its my duty to tell you, the next time an advert comes on TV that says you can drive a BMW from R4999 per month *T&Cs Apply, read the fine print before you get excited.

What is actually your point? Do you have an opinion on Gaza perhaps? Beacuse by your reasoning, only people living there are entitled to one.

this a screen grab off the CWC site. 2 'Sets' one Avid and one Shimano. One comes with rotors one doesn't. I'd say it's down to the makers and their description (i'd imagine just copied and pasted). Also you don't expect the full description & TnC's in an email blast.

post-15825-0-79100300-1405502512_thumb.png

I saw this ad this morning too.

Thought it sounded fishy, and clicked through anyway.

Confirmed my suspicions and closed ad.

Saw my high horse standing in the corner of the room.... considered mounting it...

Had coffee instead.. forgot about ad.

Yes, I realise I'm being a tannie met 'n nat panty. Maybe I'm just in a mood today. Point remains.

Good ol' CTRL C, CTRL V.

I stand by my statement - I doubt they'd even look at it. They have bigger fish to fry.

It's a crappy ad - but it's up to interpretation. I (like you) believe a brake set should stop BOTH wheels, others understand it to be one lever and one caliper. Come rant and share your disappointment, but going all legal and CPA on the world... chill man :thumbup: . Enjoy the XT brakes you already have...

What is actually your point? Do you have an opinion on Gaza perhaps? Beacuse by your reasoning, only people living there are entitled to one.

Yes I do, but comparing the slaughtering of innocent people and children, with some guy who cannot read an advert is bit low and tasteless, I cannot debate with someone who does. - Over and out!

this a screen grab off the CWC site. 2 'Sets' one Avid and one Shimano. One comes with rotors one doesn't. I'd say it's down to the makers and their description (i'd imagine just copied and pasted). Also you don't expect the full description & TnC's in an email blast.

post-15825-0-79100300-1405502512_thumb.png

Probably copied the description from the manufacturers description...?

Yes I do, but comparing the slaughtering of innocent people and children, with some guy who cannot read an advert is bit low and tasteless, I cannot debate with someone who does. - Over and out!

Oh lord. So I was comparing the two? I was pointing out the fallacy of your argument. That I'm not allowed to moan because I don't have a vested interest.

Good ol' CTRL C, CTRL V.

I stand by my statement - I doubt they'd even look at it. They have bigger fish to fry.

It's a crappy ad - but it's up to interpretation. I (like you) believe a brake set should stop BOTH wheels, others understand it to be one lever and one caliper. Come rant and share your disappointment, but going all legal and CPA on the world... chill man :thumbup: . Enjoy the XT brakes you already have...

Well I'm not going to write a dissertation on the law. Copying the sections from LexisNexis was easy and the sections are self-explanatory. There are standards out there and people should be held to them.

Problem is we're all ok with the little lies.

When I got the mail I knew this will not be a "complete"XT brake set by simply looking at the price . BTW it is called clever advertising , and nothing sinister about it . Not a lot of entrepreneurs around here I see . :whistling:

Not a lot of understanding of the definition of "entrepreneur" around here I see.

To me a set is a lever and caliper, maybe a rotor or maybe not.

A PAIR on the other hand................

Problem is we're all ok with the little lies.

And therein is the problem. You feel duped and lied to. Others might not see it as a lie. Why not confront the issue head on and maybe take it up with BuyCycle - that would be my first port of call before the CPA. :thumbup:

Edited by Ryanpmb