Buycycle.co.za Misleading ad

NicoBoshoff

Guest Travis.

This ad was the FIRST time I EVER saw a set being a caliper and a lever. SO I think it was intentionally

I think looks a lot like I assume.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been to look at CWC, CRC, Jenson, evobikes and Evanscycles, and unsurprisingly, a set refers to front and back brakes together. Alternatively, you can buy just a front or rear brake.

Guest Travis.

ask Nico for the flyer.

I have the email. I am waiting for the proof where it was intentionally done to deceive.

I have the email. I am waiting for the proof where it was intentionally done to deceive.

If it looks like a pig, squeals like a pig, and tastes just like bacon...

Guest Travis.

Well done, you just described tangible facts. Now show them.

Guest Travis.

Well done, you just described tangible facts. Now show them.

So we have two scenarios here...

1) The bike shop was dishonest in its advertising, and misled people in order to get more visitors to its website, which makes me not want to give them my credit card details because I can't trust them.

or

2) The bike shop does genuinely not know what brake set is as per the internationally accepted norm as presented by every other online shop I have been to (and contradicted by them on their own website), which makes me not want to purchase anything from them because of the high risk of misunderstandings leading to disputes.

Either way, I'm out.

Edit: clean up post.

Edited by nolipoli

I don't know whether it was done intentionally. I think it was to generate clicks, but no, I don't have proof.

But let's look at the facts:

XT brakes for a pair are NOT R4 000.00. That is common knowledge to any person who cycles more than just once in a while.

The e-mail was worded specifically to present itself as a special offer. This creates the expectation that the price should be better than normal. R1539 for a side is in fact going rate for XT brakes so nothing "special" about that.

As has been demonstrated in this thread, it is more common than not to refer to front and back as a set.

-----

This also just popped into my head. Is this not very similar to the old "you've won a prize, just come and collect it" marketing schemes used by time-share merchants?

I really hope you guys can resolve this asap, else I am not sure how I am going to sleep tonight... :blush:

See guys? THIS is what clever humor looks like :thumbup:

I really hope you guys can resolve this asap, else I am not sure how I am going to sleep tonight... :blush:

Hahaha,

but seriously though...

A debate on principles can never be resolved because we all have our own set of them, and what is acceptable to some may not be acceptable to others. We all choose our position and will be judged by it, whether we like it or not.

Actually, that is a bit of sarcasm......

I find sarcasm which is not laced with cynicism rather funny.

I thought we were going to use the comic sans font to let "special" people like me know when we are being sarcastic? Ag nee man....You make me confused :P

Hectic Nico

Good Luck with everything

This too shall pass

#1stworldproblems

Addressing #1stworldproblems is what creates a #1stworld. Complacency and "pfft, who gives a @#$" didn't invent the wheel, or the airplane wing, or electricity, or the Wonderbra.