wattbikes at virgin - fitness test

Yes I understand that, but if I want to compare my numbers with yours I will need to know your weight? Just becasue you do 365 and I do 350 it does not mean you will be faster than me.

Exactly, this number by itself is very important for training purposes alone....for competing or racing, weight needs to be added to the equation and then you would rather measure "dicks" so to speak with an FTP than a MMP.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did that and it now works, but it just gives me a big circle.

Very interesting, may be busy this afternoon

Sounds like you have selected a single revolution instead of viewing the entire workout. Check at the bottom for 3 tabs - Summary, Pedal Revolutions and Signal Values.

So I did my 45 minute all-out test today...

256W average

Makes one realize how much better the pro's are. I think Tony Martin did 407W average for the last hour of the stage that he won in the first week, and that was after 4 hours in the saddle!!!

true

Some perspective ... Jens Voigt after Stage 17: After the stage I told our coach that I wanted to see my data for the stage and I was averaging something like 380 Watts over the first hour of racing and over that first climb. When I saw that it was like, “Hey! That’s pretty good for an old man!”

Some perspective ... Jens Voigt after Stage 17: After the stage I told our coach that I wanted to see my data for the stage and I was averaging something like 380 Watts over the first hour of racing and over that first climb. When I saw that it was like, “Hey! That’s pretty good for an old man!”

Yip crazy numbers...throw in their light weight bikes and stick figure weights and you can see how they average the speeds they do....proper athletes

Apparently, the new national fitness manager guy is big into cycling so this could be one of the new initiatives. I heard that there'd be a few revisions to spinning as well. Could be interesting...

a FEW half-decent and/or properly trained spinning instructors would be AWESOME

Couldn't agree more. Seems to be a dying breed.

Couldn't agree more. Seems to be a dying breed.

You should try Cadence, if you want well structured cycling specific training with good trainers. Virgin Active cater for the masses.

Somehow spinning instructors think there's a direct correlation between the volume of their voices and the cadence I'm pedaling at.......er..... no. If you scream at me, i'm not gonna go faster. Hmmmm... maybe the screaming, is how they're trying to mask the fact that they have no cooking clue what they're doing?

My GF just went through their spinning instructor program, and with the feedback she gave me it was easy to see why good spinning instructors is few and far in-between

Edit:

Thats why i for one was very happy to see a wattbike in our gym

The MMP thing - if it's a measure of the best minute within the three, is it best to set the bike at a resistance at which you know that you won't (quite) be able to maintain for three mins?

Then throw everything at it, but it doesn't matter if you slow down after > 1 min as long as you get at least one good minute in?

I thought you were supposed to set it at a resistance where you could maintain a given cadence - e.g. 90 rpm?

Maybe I should go RTFM.

The MMP thing - if it's a measure of the best minute within the three, is it best to set the bike at a resistance at which you know that you won't (quite) be able to maintain for three mins?

Then throw everything at it, but it doesn't matter if you slow down after > 1 min as long as you get at least one good minute in?

I thought you were supposed to set it at a resistance where you could maintain a given cadence - e.g. 90 rpm?

Maybe I should go RTFM.

On the Wattbike I start hard (standing) then turn it down slightly so I can sit and maintain cadence then turn down resistance even more if I get too tired. Kinda like a steep climb, if the cadence drops then stand.

On the Wattbike I start hard (standing) then turn it down slightly so I can sit and maintain cadence then turn down resistance even more if I get too tired. Kinda like a steep climb, if the cadence drops then stand.

Same as oom....worked for me.

Ja but you weight slightly more than n mossie....W/kg....that is what counts

Yip yip

So I did the 3 minute test last night.

MMP 380W

I hopt to hit 400 before the 94.7. W/kg not too great though, I'm at 88 kg's

Archived