wattbikes at virgin - fitness test

If you go under tests on the Watt bike, look for 3 minute aerobic. Once you enter your weight, age and sex. you click enter. Then the next time you turn the pedals the test will start. Try keep between 90 and 100 RPM for the 3 min.

Does that take give you the average for 3 minutes or you best minute out of the 3.

The bike plus altitude centre take the average over the whole 3 minutes. Was toast in the last minute trying to keep the cadence above 90. Averaged 306 but I'm sure when I do it again if I just pace my self better I will kill that . Got a long way to catch trav's 419.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that take give you the average for 3 minutes or you best minute out of the 3.

The bike plus altitude centre take the average over the whole 3 minutes. Was toast in the last minute trying to keep the cadence above 90. Averaged 306 but I'm sure when I do it again if I just pace my self better I will kill that . Got a long way to catch trav's 419.

Calculates the max for a minute - MMP. Don't think it is necessarily a minute of the 3 but rather average over period of a minute.

I clearly have some catching up to do for our w2w bet! I averaged 270. Keep Trav away from the beers and his performance will go down!

I clearly have some catching up to do for our w2w bet! I averaged 270. Keep Trav away from the beers and his performance will go down!

Oh no what did you bet?

His 419 is a 3 min average and at over 3000m alt. Just looking at his number makes me want to cry during our classes, I've given up chasing him and now just make sure I crush Bub.

I was over 400 for the first minute and then crashed like an unlicensed taxi.

Well watching the average reading while I ride I guess its an average over the entire three minutes.

The pacing yourself makes a big difference. Intervals this evening. :(

Some cool info to reflect on as one cry behind the sunnies searching for peak power

By using Dr. Ferrari’s formula:

Froome 5.96 W/kg on 5 major climbs in 2013 Tour.

Nibali 5.99 W/kg on 5 major climbs in 2014 Tour.

Average duration of 5 climbs: 35 min (both 2013 and 2014)

I got 417. But lost a lung in the process!!

that is power meneer. Proper.

Your program was sent...enjoy.

rouxtjie, are your programs based on watt-bike training mostly or does it include some outside riding?

rouxtjie, are your programs based on watt-bike training mostly or does it include some outside riding?

all wattbike power interval session focusing on certain zones and cadences. Outside riding is to be enjoyed...where you go and reap the fruits of your weekday suffersessions so to speak

I've only got a heart rate monitor.....realistically how accurately can I use it on a programme? Right now I don't use it, ( or have a programme) just ride till my legs are moeg. :) How serious can I get without a wattbike or powermeter?

I've only got a heart rate monitor.....realistically how accurately can I use it on a programme? Right now I don't use it, ( or have a programme) just ride till my legs are moeg. :) How serious can I get without a wattbike or powermeter?

Blondie...

You can do some really good interval sessions with just a HR monitor make no mistake. Its just that power is instant(no lag between when interval starts and the time it takes for you to get into a certain zone). Also the fitter you get the harder it becomes to hit certain zones and lag becomes even worse...If you have only a HR monitor, give it a go....

Blondie...

You can do some really good interval sessions with just a HR monitor make no mistake. Its just that power is instant(no lag between when interval starts and the time it takes for you to get into a certain zone). Also the fitter you get the harder it becomes to hit certain zones and lag becomes even worse...If you have only a HR monitor, give it a go....

Okay...thanks .I'll go dig out of the back of the drawer. I used it a few times in the beginning and got an idea of how my "perception of effort" felt in my training zone. Sort of stuck to that. Very scientific :whistling:

Blondie...

And, to build on Rouxtjie's comments here...

HR isn't always steady

It varies with external temp, your fatigue levels, etc.

So, take it with a pinch of salt.

But to control your effort level and use it for intervals or not to go to hard, etc. it is very useful.

Remember to determine your zones and roll with it accordingly.

Recovery vc Aerobic vs Threshold vs Anaerobic

Okay...thanks .I'll go dig out of the back of the drawer. I used it a few times in the beginning and got an idea of how my "perception of effort" felt in my training zone. Sort of stuck to that. Very scientific :whistling:

to be honest....perceived effort isn't all that bad either...you know when you going all out and you know when you are idling. Tabata's once a week and another session with anaerobic intervals will go a long way....

Archived