wattbikes at virgin - fitness test

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. So saw this thread earlier today and thought I'd give the MMP a go. My mate and I now have our numbers, but what does it actually mean and how do we use this for training or developing a training program? And then how does this compare to FTP and how do you base training on that?

Numbers are 446 (I'm pretty heavy though) and 386 if anyone is really interested or counting.

@madbradd

With this data, you can now set up your power training zones.

With the zones, you can establish your training goals using varying training programmes

Using the programmes, with power training you can control your force (through pedals) accurately and reliably measure your progress over time.

I'm using a crank-based power meter.

Thus, the referral note to Dr rouxtjie here on the HubSA - he can assist as he's been training in this format (stationary wattbike).

Send him a note?

Sterkte!

Awesome. Thanks Dale. Unfortunately powermeters are worth more than my bikes so probably not gonna be buying those anytime soon. If I did would probably be the pedals tho... Garmin connections and all. That said I'm happy to put in some interval time on the stationary bike... just not hours on end as I'd rather spend that time on the road or trail.

Thanks for the pointer tho! Much appreciated.

Oi rouxtjie, when do we see you at the Hub Cup again?

Meneer. finally shaked the loogie I had...I wont lie it was the worst blerrie flu I have had in a loooong time...that and my adsl is properly working now I am in for next week. Bummed that I lost some of my fitness though...at least I lost some weight...did have any appetite with this bug.

Let the good times roll.

@madbradd.....I replied to your pm. Let me know

Have just seen these bikes at my local Virgin, so keen to give it a go, have briefly read the posts but may have missed it, so question for the more knowledgeable

Reading the wattbike website and about the 3 minute test, it says to "set the air resistance lever to the required level"?

What should this be set to?

Noob question for sure, but only picked up and read this the thread this morning. thanks

EDIT: Found the answer on the wattbike website... start with the air brake at level 3 and adjust until you are constantly hitting 200W at 90rpm

@shaper

During my warmup I played with the settings until I had my target test watts at 95rpm. Then tried to stick within the 90 to 100 rpm band.

Not sure if what I did was right but seemed logical at the time

Have just seen these bikes at my local Virgin, so keen to give it a go, have briefly read the posts but may have missed it, so question for the more knowledgeable

Reading the wattbike website and about the 3 minute test, it says to "set the air resistance lever to the required level"?

What should this be set to?

Noob question for sure, but only picked up and read this the thread this morning. thanks

EDIT: Found the answer on the wattbike website... start with the air brake at level 3 and adjust until you are constantly hitting 200W at 90rpm

if I remember correctly mine was fan at 8 and knob at 4 or 5....that gave me the best power number I could sustain for 3 minutes. Look its also the the best 1 minutes avg within the 3minute period so if you start low and go higher it shouldnt matter. As long as somewhere within the 3minute period you are bleeding through your eyes

Hey guys. So saw this thread earlier today and thought I'd give the MMP a go. My mate and I now have our numbers, but what does it actually mean and how do we use this for training or developing a training program? And then how does this compare to FTP and how do you base training on that?

Numbers are 446 (I'm pretty heavy though) and 386 if anyone is really interested or counting.

446 is a BIG number, would be interested to know what your race times/positions are and how much you train... Guess I'm trying to find out how and if MMP correlates nicely to actual riding speed on the road.

Here is my 3 min test data over the past few months. - I do almost training on the open road Sea point chappies Sea point.

28 June 2014 - 386w

10 July 2014 - 411w

5 August 2014 - 422w

14 August 2014 - 439w

Maybe I am just getting better at watt biking :P

446 is a BIG number, would be interested to know what your race times/positions are and how much you train... Guess I'm trying to find out how and if MMP correlates nicely to actual riding speed on the road.

I'm a big bloke Rudi... 105 kgs before breakfast. So unfortunately doesn't really translate into speed.... except on downhills.

Hey guys - just some old man advice on "tests"....

Make sure the test is always under the same conditions.

The actual numbers don't matter - it's the change in numbers that matters. Whether you make 20w or 2000w is irrelevant - it's how those numbers change that matters.

Don't manipulate tests or data - you're only BSing yourself.

It's not a dick swinging comp - your numbers are your numbers and nobody elses matter. That said the bigger guys will always have better wattbike/static power numbers because they're bigger - on the road that weight counts against them.

Don't look short term - look medium to long term. Short term conditions like illness, hard training the night before, stress at work etc can all affect your numbers - the medium trend is accurate - the day to day is not.

Once you have a base line change 1 thing at a time - too many changes and you can't identify which change made the difference.

It's all about progression!

Hey guys - just some old man advice on "tests"....

Make sure the test is always under the same conditions.

The actual numbers don't matter - it's the change in numbers that matters. Whether you make 20w or 2000w is irrelevant - it's how those numbers change that matters.

Don't manipulate tests or data - you're only BSing yourself.

It's not a dick swinging comp - your numbers are your numbers and nobody elses matter. That said the bigger guys will always have better wattbike/static power numbers because they're bigger - on the road that weight counts against them.

Don't look short term - look medium to long term. Short term conditions like illness, hard training the night before, stress at work etc can all affect your numbers - the medium trend is accurate - the day to day is not.

Once you have a base line change 1 thing at a time - too many changes and you can't identify which change made the difference.

It's all about progression!

Great post :thumbup:

Just to add to this....weight is single most important change you can influence to change your speed....I mean changing your legs into tree trunks that can kick out big power numbers are near impossible, physiologically....cut out coke, chips and bread much easier

Here is my 3 min test data over the past few months. - I do almost training on the open road Sea point chappies Sea point.

28 June 2014 - 386w

10 July 2014 - 411w

5 August 2014 - 422w

14 August 2014 - 439w

Maybe I am just getting better at watt biking :P

Perfect peaking for the Vuelta :clap:

that is half of the equation....weight is another...that will influence your speed as eldron suggested in his post. I can kick out 1500 watts no problem(but only for three seconds...whahahahha like in whose line is it anyway...peak numbers mean nothing really)

Archived