27.5" advice needed

tseries

Giant Anthem Advanced for me is the clear winner here. It will leave the Pyga behind. The Pyga is the better choice for trail riding. For leisure rides and a funride now and then, that Anthem is better choice for me. Carbon is better than Alu.

Travel is relative to the terrain he will be riding, value for money the silverback is also a great option!

I would say don't buy a bike that he will under use. 100 to 120mm travel on 27.5 is more than enough.

Giant Anthem Advanced for me is the clear winner here. It will leave the Pyga behind. The Pyga is the better choice for trail riding. For leisure rides and a funride now and then, that Anthem is better choice for me. Carbon is better than Alu.

Haha, just about every sentence in your reply is technically incorrect.

Hi tseries

I'd go wight he Pyga, but then i'm biased, I got the 120650b, my normal weekend ride is 45-75km outrides or Thaba Green (+some blue) 30-50km technical.

There is not a more all purpose, all fun, all capable on bike in the country than Pat's little creation there.

Guys even did the Jhb2C on them this year and apparently ended as a big conversation pieces across the route during the evenings.

G

Hi there, I am posting on behalf of my father who is technically challenged. He is looking at a 27.5" either Pyga(attached) or a Giant Anthem Advanced. He does 30/40/50km leisure rides a couple of times a week and does races fairly often although not competively. He weighs about 80kg and is 5'10". Any advice would be appreciated. He is currently riding a BMC.

Thanks in advance

There is basically a couple of shops listed on Pyga's site, personally I drove the distance to Hatfield in Pretoria, I stay in Alberton, but simply on attitude and service was worth it.

G

Where does one buy PYGA in Johannesburg area or East Rand? I want to replace my GT Karakoram hard-tail 29er and considering either Spez Camber or PYGA (although the guys from Cyclelab was telling me to stay with GT due to easy spares availability). Any thoughts?

"My wife's Pascoe frame"

Damm you earning some major brownie points there.

G

So when you buy a car do you go for Toyota or VW because of parts availability or the best car for your money? And which parts exactly? Pivots? Hanger?

Pyga is a local brand and easily ships around the country.

http://www.pygaindus...om/dealers.html

My wife's Pascoe frame has arrived in Jhb. :clap:

Probably be built by the weekend.

Pyga is a better trail bike due to more travel, but I would say the Anthem is the more versatile bike because it is a better racer but also very good down the trails.

I'm with Mr X on this one. For what you said the extra weight of the Pyga will be quite a penalty to your Dad. Chances are if he's technically challenged he won't attempt stuff where the Pyga will come into it's own. In terms of all day, all round riding the Anthem will be better suited.

"My wife's Pascoe frame"

Damm you earning some major brownie points there.

G

:thumbup:

Don't worry, mine is not far behind. :D

She loved it on Sunday's ride.

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10326574_783240421696352_376179997_n.jpg

I'm with Mr X on this one. For what you said the extra weight of the Pyga will be quite a penalty to your Dad. Chances are if he's technically challenged he won't attempt stuff where the Pyga will come into it's own. In terms of all day, all round riding the Anthem will be better suited.

So just to be clear... I'm with you on being with him on his post you quoted... but not on the post I disagreed with.

Overall, for the stated purposes, an Anthem will be better.

Snif snif.... why is no one asking for advice on 26'rs any more... snif snif...

you can't even have a decent "what tyres for my 26er trail bike" anymore, as there are no tyres (Ok, decent variety) freely available ....

• 2 weeks later...