Is it about the bike - Road v MTB?

GrantRH

For LA, it clearly wasn't about the bike. But what about for the rest of us?

I can definitely say that upgrading my MTB has improved my riding and times substantially. Each time I ride a different trail with my new bike I break all my previous records, with minimal effort. When I really push myself, I smash those previous records. To be fair, I did upgrade from a Merida 26er to Specialized Epic 29er, so the geometries will have something to do with it.

As for road, I am still relatively new to it. I am on an entry level Merida, with an upgraded groupset (ultegra) which works for my ability. I don't think an expensive road bike will make much difference to my riding at this stage, but that is just my opinion without having tried any other road bikes, so it is not informed. But I have read others (the Dogma F8 thread for example) who are of the opinion that, for road, it is not about the bike.

Your thoughts?

Agreed. I just set up a super old alpina steel frame thats older than me for a vintage race I'm doing and I feel as fast as I was on a TCR. Obviously it is a bit heavier but as you say, with road bikes it's not as big a difference. I did put my decent wheelset on the bike, I agree with ians, that is a very good upgrade to make.

MTB is a bit of a different story though. Best cheap upgrade for MTB? decent tyres.

Different geometry will make a substantial difference on your mountain biking, as do things like dropper posts and more grippier tyres etc.

Road bike, not so much, especially once you get to a certain speed

A wheelset upgrade should make a significant difference to a lower end road bike.

What would the wheel upgrade improve?

I think for the average rider many of the upgrades we make to our bikes equate realistically to marginal gains if you are not racing. But there is a feel-good factor that comes with having something new, even if it is some new bar tape, or a new bottle cage that looks racey and weighs only 2g less than our old one. Its that magic thing that happens in your head when you wear a new bib for the first time, or when your freinds drool over your new wheelset. I feel like a machine in the singletrack on my 12kg 26" mtb, with my lucky pearl earrings, and am blissfully ignorant of what a ritchey feels like to ride. But I don't care, I'm happy. So for me it's about the bike and the rider, and the alchemy that that happens when you put the two together :thumbup:

I think for the average rider many of the upgrades we make to our bikes equate realistically to marginal gains if you are not racing. But there is a feel-good factor that comes with having something new, even if it is some new bar tape, or a new bottle cage that looks racey and weighs only 2g less than our old one. Its that magic thing that happens in your head when you wear a new bib for the first time, or when your freinds drool over your new wheelset. I feel like a machine in the singletrack on my 12kg 26" mtb, with my lucky pearl earrings, and am blissfully ignorant of what a ritchey feels like to ride. But I don't care, I'm happy. So for me it's about the bike and the rider, and the alchemy that that happens when you put the two together :thumbup:

Love this post....ALOT well said blondie...nail on the head :thumbup:

I feel like a machine in the singletrack on my 12kg 26" mtb, with my lucky pearl earrings, and am blissfully ignorant of what a ritchey feels like to ride.:

You have just started a new MTB craze: I can picture all the fanatical men rushing out to buy pearl earrings in the hope that it may give them an extra second.

I like this... a lot.

For me; I know my bike is far beyond my capability and that I don't ride it to its limit but that makes me want to get better and therefore train more and ride harder.

Just for that reason I do like to buy the upper / better / more expensive stuff - it inspires me to become better. I know I don't need it but if I bought something to my capability I will not be motivated / inspired.

Warped psycho view, maybe.. but is works for me.

I like this... a lot.

For me; I know my bike is far beyond my capability and that I don't ride it to its limit but that makes me want to get better and therefore train more and ride harder.

Just for that reason I do like to buy the upper / better / more expensive stuff - it inspires me to become better. I know I don't need it but if I bought something to my capability I will not be motivated / inspired.

Warped psycho view, maybe.. but is works for me.

Exactly, I have a strange relationship with my road bike, bought it second hand it had only done 30km, so basically brand new. Its so white and racey, sometimes after a ride I sit and just look at it. However, after we agreed to buy it, I casually asked why the owner was selling if it had basically done just one ride. The answer...She fell pregnant :eek: I've got three kids, the last a surprise so riding this bike is a test of how superstitious I really am!!

So true. (Flipping well written Blondy) It's a heck of lot cheaper to loose a kg on my belly than it is on my bike (for me I have many cheap kg's), however nothing beats some bike "pimp-factor" to get the brain excited about riding.

I liked my old bike, and I liked riding quite a bit. Now I love my current bike and equally love riding it.

Of course there are some necessities that either provide comfort or function (saddle/grippy tyres) that are worth throwing a bit of money at, but nothing beats that one of a kind bling/sexy part unique to your bike that makes you think "that's my beast".