Local import decision makers

(Deon)

Dont agree....with that ratio I would rather stock my shelves with goods that move faster...that is if I was a retailer. From a business point of view this would make sense...as a value add to clients in the hope that it will almost act as some kind of "loss leader" it could work.

Exacertly... That is the view distributors take but opens a nice niche for us...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I say milk it naas..... :thumbup:

Tyres are but one thing a lbs must stock...

Yep.

Naas, I tell you one thing - if you're able to get quality 26" rubber in stock, reliably, then I shall sing it from the rooftops. Most (okay, all but one) of my riding buddies are on 26", and we ALL like good rubber. And we ALL have to either bring it in from overseas, or faff around searching between bike shops who may or may not stock a rangy old Minion DHF or at best a Nobby Nic.

That needs to stop. And I reckon that ratio has a lot to do with people being forced to buy from CRC / Wiggle / EBay etc

Yep.

Naas, I tell you one thing - if you're able to get quality 26" rubber in stock, reliably, then I shall sing it from the rooftops. Most (okay, all but one) of my riding buddies are on 26", and we ALL like good rubber. And we ALL have to either bring it in from overseas, or faff around searching between bike shops who may or may not stock a rangy old Minion DHF or at best a Nobby Nic.

That needs to stop. And I reckon that ratio has a lot to do with people being forced to buy from CRC / Wiggle / EBay etc

Right you are. It's fine that the world has moved to different sized tyres, but look at the second hand market still trading in quality frames and components. Heck, a 2012 Fox VAN RC2 ain't cheap, what must I do, toss it in the bin?

Right you are. It's fine that the world has moved to different sized tyres, but look at the second hand market still trading in quality frames and components. Heck, a 2012 Fox VAN RC2 ain't cheap, what must I do, toss it in the bin?

No, give it to me. I'll find a use for it.

On topic though, my inner (?) cynic says that if the supply of spares is throttled, it forces the laggards to upgrade, spending far more money in the process.

Of course that kinda backfires when everyone shows local suppliers the finger and imports direct.

No, give it to me. I'll find a use for it.

On topic though, my inner (?) cynic says that if the supply of spares is throttled, it forces the laggards to upgrade, spending far more money in the process.

Of course that kinda backfires when everyone shows local suppliers the finger and imports direct.

And then they complain about it

You can swap it with me for a box of Smarties :ph34r:

The thing is, Roux, that there IS demand. We just have to go overseas (bikediscount.de, on one, ebay etc) to get them, 'cos the local distributors are 29 & 275 befok. If the distributors brought in sixer rubber, in proper sizes and selection, they WOULD sell.

I'd LOVE to buy a Magic Mary, a Vigilante, Rubber Queen etc locally, but due to the distributors not willing to bring them in, it forces us overseas. And then they have the temerity to blame US for loss of sales.

I'd also love to get the agency for Schwalbe or WTB. I'd bring in the full range, because I KNOW they'll sell. Downhillers, trail riders, general weekend warriors. We all either have sixers, or know someone who has them. And they're not going anywhere.

It pisses me off no end.

Yea I have a 29er trail bike and the local distributors are no interested in bringing in agressive 29er tires so I will have to shop oversees.

And then you get the standard response of "but we have crossmarks. Those are THE.BEST.EVER"

Hahahaha yea that is exactly what they said to me LMFAO,only cater for the marathon/race snakes.Wish I lived in Europe where Enduro is catered for on a big scale.

A simple the like a 2.25 " Ardent should sell well in 26er guise still

I love the ardent.

And then you get the standard response of "but we have crossmarks. Those are THE.BEST.EVER"

Walk into the LBS wanting some aggressive tyres, what tyres do you have, "got crossmarks, they're good", not even bothered to ask the application. Needless to say that I had to scratch at all the local LBS, and all I could find were mountain kings. I'll get hold of evobikes next time I need.

Fox have 11 different 26" forks for 2015. Why are 26" tyres not being supported?

post-13110-0-59673500-1407435761_thumb.png

I have 2 very good 2.35 Kenda Excavators in 26# that I might let you sniff! Theyll make you stick through the mud and the corners like superglue, but they will also roll like tank tracks (not in any particular hurry) :D .

This is what I'm talking about. It's like the rest of the world is accepting change while still supporting the old. Here in this country you just hang out to dry.

"While the “old” 36 lowers could squeeze a meaty 27.5″ tire (although Fox strongly advises against it), the new forks are available in every popular wheel size. Not only can you pick this fork up in a 26″, 27.5″, or 29″ version, but they are also making models with a straight steer. That means that even if your bike is ancient by current industry standards, you’ll not only have newer suspension options, but you can mix and match angle set cups to help improve handling."