Ballbearings in hubs

TomTrick

Slightly confused now.

Your heading says "Ballbearings", but in the message you ask about "rollerbearings"

Which is it now? :unsure:

He's in the pub already

haha

that is true.. No not in the pub yet...

I believe that most hubs are equipped with ball bearings since they do give less friction than roller bearings. I just can't seem to find any detailed information on this hence the question to the experts out there. powerway R13 for example, have great experience with these.

Edited by TomTrick

Slightly confused now.

Your heading says "Ballbearings", but in the message you ask about "rollerbearings"

Which is it now? :unsure:

sorry to be confusing....

Roller bearings don't perform as well as ball bearings when they cannot run in oil. Unlike ball bearings they don't recycle the grease but tend to displace it and eventually run dry even though there is grease in the bearing cavity somewhere. Ball bearings are the best we have for now. Although cartridge bearings are a poor choice for wheels since they can't be preloaded laterally, they are easy to install and maintain by inexperience and unskilled mechanics. But to answer your question, no. I don't know of a hub that uses roller bearings.

Roller bearings don't perform as well as ball bearings when they cannot run in oil. Unlike ball bearings they don't recycle the grease but tend to displace it and eventually run dry even though there is grease in the bearing cavity somewhere. Ball bearings are the best we have for now. Although cartridge bearings are a poor choice for wheels since they can't be preloaded laterally, they are easy to install and maintain by inexperience and unskilled mechanics. But to answer your question, no. I don't know of a hub that uses roller bearings.

thanks for the feedback. I had a notion that this would be likely and happy to read you know your stuff... :D

Good answer Johan. Roller bearing can tolerate higher loads than spherical (ball) type but there are other issues. Straight roller bearing cannot take any lateral loading. Tapered roller bearings (like on a car) can take side loading but are also wider/thicker than a ball bearing...thus heavier.....and they need to be precisely preloaded. Overkill for cycling if u ask me

Edited by JXV

Good answer Johan. Roller bearing can tolerate higher loads than spherical (ball) type but there are other issues. Straight roller bearing cannot take any lateral loading. Tapered roller bearings (like on a car) can take side loading but are also wider/thicker than a ball bearing...thus heavier.....and they need to be precisely preloaded. Overkill for cycling if u ask me

I have a Roller Taper BB (HT2, GPX, etc. type) that I picked up to use for me next BB replacement. Then I got a new frame with Shimano Pressfit. Haven't had a chance to test it yet :unsure:

Mavics are running cartridge hubs. Does that make them a bad choice in wheels?

Edited by Maniax

Mavics are running cartridge hubs. Does that make them a bad choice in wheels?

Most hubs run deep groove cartridge bearings, it just means that you'll have to replace the bearings more often. The only hubs I know that run angular contact cartridge bearings are Chris King (I think?), but Shimano use cup and cone which are also angular contact. The only issue with these is that if the cup races become pitted you're in for new hubs, but keep them properly maintained and this won't be an issue.