Best Saddle for price and weight

JI Fourie

What is the best saddle I can get that is in a good ratio of weight to price?

I am currently using an old silverback saddle, but would like something that is lighter than it and that won't break the bank at R1500.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best saddle I can get that is in a good ratio of weight to price?

I am currently using an old silverback saddle, but would like something that is lighter than it and that won't break the bank at R1500.

The best I have had is by far specialized.. And I don't ride a specialized bike ,Go to the specialized store and get measured for the correct size.. Trust me on this one.. you won't regret it

Edited by 26er

Bontrager Evoke RXL at 145 grams is the lightest saddle you can get for 1500. I have one and I love it.

Edited by EugeneS

Friends of mine also suggested that I should try Specialized, Ill go to the local dealer tomorrow. Thanks guys!

What do you guys think about the Fisik Gobi? I am able to buy one brand new from a friend who got it with the bike.

Getting measured etc is all good and well, works for some and will definitely work for the credit card machine in the Specialized store,

But,

If you want the right saddle, go to a store or bike fitter that allows you to take a saddle for a short test period and actually ride with it, and have an option to exchange it if it's not right.

Remember, what feels good after 5 minutes in the shop might not be so great after 100ks. Everyone's butt is different.

Edited by Falco

+1 the Specialized advice.

I used a Spez Avatar gel for quite few years. On my new bike I bought a Phenom Comp Gel. It is MUCH harder but strangely enough, even more comfortable on longer rides than the Avatar. Also a bit lighter.

The Spez saddles are available in different widths, hence the need to get measured.

If you want the right saddle, go to a store or bike fitter that allows you to take a saddle for a short test period and actually ride with it, and have an option to exchange it if it's not right.

I did about 200kms on a Spez Phenom test saddle before I went and bought one. You pay about R800 to take the test saddle and get refunded when you return it, or it gets credited against the purchase of a new one.

Getting measured etc is all good and well, works for some and will definitely work for the credit card machine in the Specialized store,

But,

Remember, what feels good after 5 minutes in the shop might not be so great after 100ks. Everyone's butt is different.

Spez provide test saddles

The one that doesn't bite you in the arse.

A saddle is a very personal thing, so try before you buy.

The best value for money might fit your pocket, but might just not fit you rear end.

Try a few

Friends of mine also suggested that I should try Specialized, Ill go to the local dealer tomorrow. Thanks guys!

What do you guys think about the Fisik Gobi? I am able to buy one brand new from a friend who got it with the bike.

I went from Silverback saddle to Fizik Gobi and it is much better but I have nothing else to compare them to. I would also like to try a saddle fitted for me but we don't have a Spez store in PE.

I use only Fizik saddles (Tundra 2 on the MTB and Arione on the road) and am very happy with them. I've done rides of > 200km on consecutive days and my behind has held up! But as has been said, everybody is different and you have to find the one that works for you.

I used to be sold on Fizik until I was told by the Spez guys it was too narrow for my butt.. Never looked back, cant remember when I even thought about what the saddle feels like - will only now ever buy the spez.