Everesting riders in South Africa!

Tubehunter

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Kevin! 280 clicks makes that a shorter ride then the CT boys did.

I see Jared Dwyer did an everesting challenge on the same day in Durban North somewhere?? Anyone know him or have some more info on this? Looks like he did just under 260 kays? Which hill would that have been on?

(Gonna update the title of this thread)

Edited by Tubehunter

This is Damn impressive.

Did the guys on road bikes gear down for it? Surely it wasnt done on standard gearing? If so you cant have much of your teeth left!Hats off

This is Damn impressive.

Did the guys on road bikes gear down for it? Surely it wasnt done on standard gearing? If so you cant have much of your teeth left!Hats off

of the ct 5, 2 of us did it on road bikes, i used a standard crank 53-39 with an 11-28 on the back.

of the ct 5, 2 of us did it on road bikes, i used a standard crank 53-39 with an 11-28 on the back.

Wow.. I guess the 28 helped a bit but still Sheesh.. that hill and II have a love hate relationship. Its tried to kill me many a times and I admit, Its pobably the only hill where I have turned around and gone home, haha. I have a 25t and it was at the end of a long ride, but still..

If I may ask, did youguys choose to go to signal hill because the crossing at the top was a pain to get over? It would have made a nice climb to do Glenbeach to cablecar, think its 380m or something..

Either way. Well done! you have us all at your feet!

Seems like 4 of the young guns at UCT cycling managed to get an Everest climb ride in yesterday! The very impressive ride was a 24 times hill repeat of the Glen all the way up to Signal Hill and back, which took 17 hours to complete, that equaled 304km of total distance in order to get the 8862m of vertical ascent in one ride!

Yoh, hardcore has just been tamed! MASSIVE RESPECT!!!!

Hugely impressive to climb one hill that often in a day. Well done

One question: why not just record the attempt on an iPhone with COGOF (climb one get one free) metres? They would have been done by early afternoon at 170kms.

Hugely impressive to climb one hill that often in a day. Well done

One question: why not just record the attempt on an iPhone with COGOF (climb one get one free) metres? They would have been done by early afternoon at 170kms.

To get on the everesting hall of fame link you need to prove that you did in fact cycle an altitude gain of 8862m in one riding effort. iPhone cheat makes it just that and then what's the point of doing half an everest if you're going to the trouble to attempt it in the first place?

(There's nothing that makes your efforts quite as temporary yet effecting your attitude with lasting consequence then being able to fool some people at the expense of cheating yourself!)

This is the type of event where you make REALLY sure what the elevation gain is between your 2 points, preferably from something like a map from the Surveyor-General. Then use whatever cycling device/app to count your number of laps so that there is no debate afterwards about changes in temperature etc influencing the readings of Endomondo/Strava/Garmin etc.

Fantastic achievement by all, now let's see somebody from Gauteng represent "us" !!

Now get your names up there :-)

http://www.everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/

Edited by Joeboy69

• 7 months later...

And do a little extra just in case... imagine being 20m short after elevation correction...

We had some okes do it up franshoek pass. Here is link to the sticker and all the strava and hells 500 vibes. teampuresavage.blogspot.com/

Must be mad, team trying it again soon! Just finding a 30 tooth ring for the road bike!