Everesting riders in South Africa!

Tubehunter

Only read the uct article now... That's quite a funny error they did in planning there!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're planning a training ride on Sunday 7th June at Riebeek Kasteel for an Everesting attempt elsewhere later this month. Weather seems great for an early (3am) morning start at the bottom of the Bothmaskloof pass on Riebeek Kasteel's side.

The plan is to ride to the top and back until we reach 4424m altitude gain (half the real thing), which will be around 22 reps of 200m each (see the strava segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/5860371).This should take us through to 11am and breakfast at Allesverloren.

Join in if you need some time in the saddle or hill reps :-)

We're planning a training ride on Sunday 7th June at Riebeek Kasteel for an Everesting attempt elsewhere later this month. Weather seems great for an early (3am) morning start at the bottom of the Bothmaskloof pass on Riebeek Kasteel's side.

The plan is to ride to the top and back until we reach 4424m altitude gain (half the real thing), which will be around 22 reps of 200m each (see the strava segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/5860371).This should take us through to 11am and breakfast at Allesverloren.

Join in if you need some time in the saddle or hill reps :-)

Wow.

That sounds amazing! 

Ek vlieg sommer deur, dammit....

Sondag is ons darem net half-mal wetters...

I saw Philip's post, and it brought home how crazy a challenge this thing is. Doing it on his own was just absolutely bonkers.

Would love to meet the man and ride a hill with him some time :-)

Ja he's one crazy Mofo that. Maybe you'll meet him sooner than expected....

There may also be an attempt this weekend in southern suburbs ;)

More details dude. You can't put out a comment like that on its own!

More details dude. You can't put out a comment like that on its own!

We tried price drove this morning. Started at 2am, managed 36reps until we came apart. The 17% for 50m killed the legs! 5560m

We did 18 reps of Bothmaskloof at Riebeeck Kasteel on Sunday. That gave us only about 3700m. This was a recce and a 'training ride' to test out all the mechanical and logistical things. Wasted quite a bit of time inbetween swapping bottles, making coffee, chatting to locals... Riding time was 6:30ish, but we were out there from 3:30am to 12:30.

Getting to 8900m will be some achievement! Its gonna be a long day when it happens...

Edited by xCorWin

We did 18 reps of Bothmaskloof at Riebeeck Kasteel on Sunday. That gave us only about 3700m. This was a recce and a 'training ride' to test out all the mechanical and logistical things. Wasted quite a bit of time inbetween swapping bottles, making coffee, chatting to locals... Riding time was 6:30ish, but we were out there from 3:30am to 12:30.

Getting to 8900m will be some achievement! Its gonna be a long day when it happens...

A support crew is vital for the final attempt

A support crew is vital for the final attempt

Yes, we are already lining up volunteers :)

For example someone will collect battery packs and recharge them during the day, and return them before dark in the evening... logistics!

We found that a 10-minute break for coffee can easily turn into 30 minutes... if the coffee had been ready when we got there, it would have been only 10 minutes break.

Doing it solo would require a certain level of determination (ie craziness) that I dont think I possess! I take my hats of to those who do!

Edited by xCorWin

As many who have done it.......just remember....that last hour.....that is where the hell starts.

Those of you that watched the Hour attempt last night from Sir Brad......he broke his hour up in 12min chunks.

Clever.  Mentally it is less tiring.

Try it with your Everest Attempt.  Work out how long it is going to take you (riding time) and then break it down to about 4 or 5 sections.  Aim to finish each section. 

Also.......start as early as you can.......

When the sun sets on the day and you still have to do a lot more to complete.....that is just mentally hard......

Consistency is key.

Enjoy!! 

Only see this now. I passed you going down and again going up on Botmas on my ride Yesterday. I am seriously impressed with your effort. Well Done.

Amazing place to ride a bicycle Mads.

The coolest thing about the ride was to experience the changing sights and sounds at different hours of the day (and night). From riding in the moonlight to sunrise to the contrasting colours of olive trees and vineyards in the early morning.

You should have flown down, Spinnekop :-)