Mountain bike ramp.

Sniffie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering driving the almost 300km just to go ride this ramp!!!

You won't be disappointed! Lots of berms, bridges, river crossings and river front single track. Check out the events page: https://www.bikehub.co.za/events/event/1376-2-river-mtb-challenge/ BTW, we get quite a few visitors from Bloemies every year. More photos on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TwoRiversTechnical?ref=br_tf

Hi, you can use scaffold but it should be erected by a professional company and signed off (visibly) safe for use.

Some things to take into consideration:

• The company must receive a precise brief of what the scaffold bridge is to be used for.
  • It definitely needs solid balustrading of more than 1m height (better 1.2m or more) to prevent a crashing cyclist or his bike to fall off the bridge and hurt somebody below (or himself).
  • The bridge must be adequately secured to the ground to prevent it from toppling over in the wind. This can be achieved with down-weighing the base struts with sandbags or similar. The scaffold company should take care of this. But I would query specifically that this is designed and done by them.
  • The approach angle should possibly be tested on site and adjusted to suit. You should allow sufficient time to do this. 30 degrees is a steep approach if you have to pedal up a few meters.
  • Make sure the bridge is wide enough so can get off the bike on the bridge and walk.
  • Put in signage well in advance that the bridge is coming and must only be passed single file.

Good luck and have fun!

How 'technical' is it, wasn't technical part of the name previously?

Compared to for example the Eden Classic?

You are correct, when we started it 7 years ago it was known as the "Two river technical challenge". We soon found out that this type of event catered for a very limited niche market. We wanted to grow our event, so starting 4 years ago, we removed all of the technical and dangerous drops down the river bank. The technical drops and climbs on the koppie have also been dumbed down to make it more flowing and enjoyable. (See photo)

I didn't do Eden this year, but what I remember from doing it last in 2009, it is proper hardcore mountain biking? Due to the lack of good terrain around Bothaville, we have to make use of the river banks and the two small koppies to present a tough but enjoyable challenge. I would say that it is much less of a technical race than Eden, but it still remains a challenge. Hence its name: "Two river challenge". The 65 km would be 100% rideable by a fit mountain biker of average skill level. The short sharp rises remains a challenge though.

post-36242-0-30366000-1410268825_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sniffie

This was a fatal design ...

Is there any evidence to suggest that the design of the bridge had anything to do with the tragic loss of Annefleur Kalvenhaar's life?

Mmmm, that pic is sad...The reason for my question regarding the technicality was to ascertain whether I would be able to ride it on my rigid SS or need some gears and suspension. I would not contemplate taking a rigid SS to Eden Classic as I don't think I will enjoy it much and spend more time than I would like pushing.

My skill level has definitely improved since first riding Eden in 2009 and I rode 95% this year. Yes, it is quite tough and some sections are steep and loose. I don't mind a short 'hike-a-bike' every now and again due to the technicality of the terrain or lack of skill on my side.

Your event also had a reputation for being VERY technical previously, sometimes comparing certain sections to Eden. I understand that you need to grow your event but isn't this a bit extreme and scarring nature / taking away from what sets mtb apart from road?

Is there any evidence to suggest that the design of the bridge had anything to do with the tragic loss of Annefleur Kalvenhaar's life?

Is that what she crashed on?

The bridge looks perfect. If you could do something like that for your event it would be great.

If that is where she crashed im guessing she went in too fast like Ratboy and landed to flat.