I want to cry!

The MTBer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just go back to one of my earlier comments that there are some on the Hub who feel that there is nothing wrong with it and it should in fact be encouraged but ja whateva blows your hair back :whistling:

Especially when they try and make the thing look like an existing well known brand, sure if someone wants to make / sell cheaper frames then by all means go ahead and do so, but don't try and make them look like something they are not.

If it doesn't say made in China, it's probably fake! Everything gets made in China!

I will echo this sentiment. HOw many frames are actually fabricated in SA?? i know two off hand that are proudly south african assemblies and no more.. Anyone have this information at hand?

Especially when they try and make the thing look like an existing well known brand, sure if someone wants to make / sell cheaper frames then by all means go ahead and do so, but don't try and make them look like something they are not.

The real kicker for me is why someone would want to ride it fake branded bike....clearly there is a market.

I will echo this sentiment. HOw many frames are actually fabricated in SA?? i know two off hand that are proudly south african assemblies and no more.. Anyone have this information at hand?

who are they?

Here is another thought.....Many cyclists upgrade every few years and resale value certainly needs to be considered when purchasing a new bike. I'm not sure how easily second hand fake-a-rellos sell for, but I dont think they sell for much. Its like buying a toyota, a bit pricey compared to others, but you are gauranteed good resale in a few years time. The first thing a discerning buyer in the classifieds will ask for is a serial number. I for one, have compromised and have chosen to ride a second hand bike, simply because I would rather have a quality second hand bike than a mongrel new one.

Just thinking how difficult is it to make a 'mold' from an existing frame? Surely if they want to copy a frame they just need to buy one and do it .... of praat ek nou akkas?

For sure, one only has to look at the vehicle manufacturing, almost every American and European car is copied and sold in China with slightly different name change.

who are they?

Have a look online at bike suppliers in SA. None of them are ashamed to admit that the bikes are manufactured in the east. Be it China, Taiwan, or Kazakhstan.. labour there is dirt cheap, they get the benefit of having a company mass purchase material for them and import costs are insignificant when comparing manufacturing in SA..China=no strikes for higher wages..no loss of production..

snip snip.....

I would rather have a quality second hand bike than a mongrel new one.

Mongrel

Now there is an excellent name for these type of bike frames

Much better then 5-Works

Have a look online at bike suppliers in SA. None of them are ashamed to admit that the bikes are manufactured in the east. Be it China, Taiwan, or Kazakhstan.. labour there is dirt cheap, they get the benefit of having a company mass purchase material for them and import costs are insignificant when comparing manufacturing in SA..China=no strikes for higher wages..no loss of production..

I only know of Pyga and Morewood...maybe there is more

Here is another thought.....Many cyclists upgrade every few years and resale value certainly needs to be considered when purchasing a new bike. I'm not sure how easily second hand fake-a-rellos sell for, but I dont think they sell for much. Its like buying a toyota, a bit pricey compared to others, but you are gauranteed good resale in a few years time. The first thing a discerning buyer in the classifieds will ask for is a serial number. I for one, have compromised and have chosen to ride a second hand bike, simply because I would rather have a quality second hand bike than a mongrel new one.

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Absolutely nothing wrong with a pre-loved bike of some pedigree!

I have it on good authority that an alu frame could cost as little as 2k to roll,weld,and incl material..this same fram is painted and a pretty name applied and is sold for 14k.... what other industry is making that much profit ?

The nice thing about the capitalist system is that excessive pricing creates a vacuum for you to fill.

Why don't you start a factory making Alu frames at R2k and sell them for R7k so dominating the market? You can make a killing !

I only know of Pyga and Morewood...maybe there is more

Good thing i said i know of two off hand. I did ask "Anyone have this information at hand?"..

The nice thing about the capitalist system is that excessive pricing creates a vacuum for you to fill.

Why don't you start a factory making Alu frames at R2k and sell them for R7k so dominating the market? You can make a killing !

If i knew anything about building bikes i would. But i think importing is what has made our debate worthwhile.

Yip, exactly....what the big brands don't realize is that you sign in blood when handing over your IP to the east. Sure you save bucks on labour....and in the short run the board will be happy...profits are up, costs are down. But then they have you by the short and curly's, your IP that you laid out big capital for, you hand over in the form of a mold.

You are 100% correct, Rouxtjie. I know of a large SA company (that shall remain unnamed) that opened a large network in Australasia and the East. Manufacturing and IP was also moved to China ("cos it's cheaper")... Within a year, sales started dropping off in the East and then severely falling in Australasia. Head Office in SA didn't have a clue what was going on, but thought it was due to the global economic downturn (particularly, in their sector). A mate of mine was sent out to troubleshoot and he found, after a YEAR of investigation in HK and Mainland China, that the Chinese subsidiaries/JV had simply filled all the orders for Australasia and the East out the back door...with none of the profits / turnover coming back to SA but rather going to the Chinese "partners". What makes it even worse is that the Chinese Co had undercut the whole industry's pricing model and thus fundamentally undermined the profitability of those product lines...