Flat pedal shoes (other than Five Ten)

GuyOnBike

It's extremely important to have a pedal and shoe that work together. Not all pedals and shoe combos are equally good, I had a pair of pedals that stuck like glue to allstars! Personally I prefer Adidas Adicourt shoe's, they go for around R799 and I've been riding them on Echo Trials pedals for about 2 years now and they're still going strong!!!

Here's my combo. I took the pedal with to the shop and pushed the shoe onto the pedal by hand to do my grip test

post-19039-0-50417100-1410596747_thumb.jpgpost-19039-0-64539600-1410596776_thumb.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of interest, what pedals have you got. Bear traps don't count as flats.

I don't have pedals yet- getting my bike next week and deciding on options as I really don't want cleats again.

Whoa those pedals look good!

I don't have pedals yet- getting my bike next week and deciding on options as I really don't want cleats again.

They are awesome!!! What will you be using the bike for? They are not designed for DH or Freeriding so I'm not sure that they will last. Have a look at Shimano Saint or Nukeproof. I'm a big fan of both!! Crankbrother 50/50 pedals give good grip but the bearings don't last

As Porqui said, Vibram soles. We are both running a pair of Hi-Tec Figaro's fro Cape Union Mart, paid R500 on a sale.

They are comfortable and stick like crazy to a decent set of flats, you need to lift your foot to change position on the pedals! Used them for probably a year or so with minimal wear or sign of the pins making holes like other shoes I've used.

As a side note, Shimano uses Vibram on there flat shoes.

These have just hit my "buy before we even look at food for the month" list.

They are awesome!!! What will you be using the bike for? They are not designed for DH or Freeriding so I'm not sure that they will last. Have a look at Shimano Saint or Nukeproof. I'm a big fan of both!! Crankbrother 50/50 pedals give good grip but the bearings don't last

I'll be doing trail riding mostly. I had a look at Nukeproof.

I'm gonna start with some Giant flat pedals with pins in them - to see what flats are about.

Edited by GuyOnBike

Just buy the five tens from the get go... there is a reason they are so popular. I rekt about 2 pairs of shoes trying to "save" money... got Five tens, end of buying new shoes every month

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview-gee-atherton-on-flat-pedals-and-his-win-at-the-cairns-world-cup-dh-2014.html

After forking out 25K for a new bike, I'm turning coins around twice so I think I'll be going for the budget option.

After forking out 25K for a new bike, I'm turning coins around twice so I think I'll be going for the budget option.

Understand, was in the same situation

but its like buying a top end Fishing reel and rod... and then skimping on the fishing line, haha

Understand, was in the same situation

but its like buying a top end Fishing reel and rod... and then skimping on the fishing line, haha

Hahahaha!! I'll still save for the better ones, but until then so that I can at least start riding and even seeing if I like flats this will have to do

Edited by GuyOnBike

Glad to see this topic as it will help me with alternative shoe choices.

Althought I got clip pedals, I cannot affort clip-on shoes, yet, and secondly, due to my foot size (I have a 10 1/2 footprint, which is wide) cannot find shoes anywhere that fits (and I have been all over in many bike shops).

So, I am currently riding with standard flat-pedals (see pic, without the reflectors), and outdoor soft-sole, short-ankle support shoes.

My first pair was a Bronx (looks very similiar to HiTech Figaro) which fell apart when I walked these thru a few mud pools. Now I am wearing Hi-Tech Langdale, which also looks very similiar to Figaro.

Prefer these for the rugged sole (good grip when off-bike and walking / carrying bike) on rough terrain. Plus the shoe soles are thick enough to give me comfort when on the pedals (with its pointed teeth).

My biggest problem is not when my feet get off, as I am just riding casually trails, with the occasional "chicken" downhill, but more the shoe laces that tend to get out of my shoes (I push them into the side, between foot and shoe well).

Next time I will probably buy a roll of heavy duty duct tape and use pieces to cover my shoe laces, as well as keeping some water/dirt from coming in at the top :-P

post-57331-0-87569500-1410605100_thumb.jpg

post-57331-0-31526700-1410605105_thumb.png

Edited by GroenHoender

Glad to see this topic as it will help me with alternative shoe choices.

Althought I got clip pedals, I cannot affort clip-on shoes, yet, and secondly, due to my foot size (I have a 10 1/2 footprint, which is wide) cannot find shoes anywhere that fits (and I have been all over in many bike shops).

So, I am currently riding with standard flat-pedals (see pic, without the reflectors), and outdoor soft-sole, short-ankle support shoes.

My first pair was a Bronx (looks very similiar to HiTech Figaro) which fell apart when I walked these thru a few mud pools. Now I am wearing Hi-Tech Langdale, which also looks very similiar to Figaro.

Prefer these for the rugged sole (good grip when off-bike and walking / carrying bike) on rough terrain. Plus the shoe soles are thick enough to give me comfort when on the pedals (with its pointed teeth).

My biggest problem is not when my feet get off, as I am just riding casually trails, with the occasional "chicken" downhill, but more the shoe laces that tend to get out of my shoes (I push them into the side, between foot and shoe well).

Next time I will probably buy a roll of heavy duty duct tape and use pieces to cover my shoe laces, as well as keeping some water/dirt from coming in at the top :-P

PLEASE DON'T CALL THOSE FLAT PEDALS!!! They are called bear traps, providing hardly any grip and always biting you in the back of the leg!

Do yourself a favor and find find some half decent platform pedals, even a set off BBB's will do the job. I'm running a set of Nukeproof Neutrons at the moment, though I know they can be on the slightly more expensive side in SA.

post-27175-0-62245100-1410605813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alouette3

Never knew they were called 'bear traps' :-) And also never had any pedals 'bit' me with any accidents. I think my HiTech and these 'bear trap' pedals were actually a nice combination as I never had any slip-off due to shoes' grooved soles.

Had a few accidents with clip-on pedals (loaned type) but it was more due to un-accustomed feel as well as my 'rearwards pull' reaction (not 'sideways' reaction) when having a fall.

Unfortunately I cannot affort any other pedals....

When looking at the NukeProof pedals, won't it also hurt anyone with their pointed pins on pedals itself?

Edited by GroenHoender

I'm starting off with Giant Platform Sport pedals, which costs R550.

I feel this isn't too bad as I can get a feel for flats - then decide if I want to invest in proper ones in the future.

post-41958-0-41301700-1410606705_thumb.jpg

I'm starting off with Giant Platform Sport pedals, which costs R550.

I feel this isn't too bad as I can get a feel for flats - then decide if I want to invest in proper ones in the future.

That looks pretty decent with well spaced pins. They do look a bit on the small side though, but flat pedals are very hard to judge. Some people like pedals big enough to land a boeing on, others like them slanted. Personally I like a big flat pedal with lots of pins. As you can see in the pic of the Echo's, they are nice and flat with loads of grip. But they have slipped a few times and taken chunks of flesh from my leg!