Flat pedal shoes (other than Five Ten)

GuyOnBike

Just a heads up. Beware of pedals with Titanium axles. Steal allows a bit of flex in the axle where Ti allows none, so they just shear off when under too much pressure. I have a friend with whom this happened, not a nice picture with more stitches than I can count!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never knew they were called 'bear traps' :-) And also never had any pedals 'bit' me with any accidents. I think my HiTech and these 'bear trap' pedals were actually a nice combination as I never had any slip-off due to shoes' grooved soles.

Had a few accidents with clip-on pedals (loaned type) but it was more due to un-accustomed feel as well as my 'rearwards pull' reaction (not 'sideways' reaction) when having a fall.

Unfortunately I cannot affort any other pedals....

When looking at the NukeProof pedals, won't it also hurt anyone with their pointed pins on pedals itself?

Yes they will hurt you. But the pedal size and the amount of grips makes it much less likely to happen compared to shitty bear traps.

Just a heads up. Beware of pedals with Titanium axles. Steal allows a bit of flex in the axle where Ti allows none, so they just shear off when under too much pressure. I have a friend with whom this happened, not a nice picture with more stitches than I can count!

The Giant ones are cro-mo: not sure what that is?? http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/original.mtb.sport.platform.pedals/564/57278/

R550 seems a bit steep for Giant equipment? A new set of Shimano Saints go for R750.

I got my Nukeproof on the classifieds quite cheap though.

I guess the studs do bite occasionally,but don't allow any slip even when wet.

Do keep in mind if you are used to riding clipped in it will take a good couple rides to get used to flat pedals. I found I relied to much on my SPD's to lift my bike thus I went to flats to try better my technique I just haven't really gone back.

R550 seems a bit steep for Giant equipment?

Then you don't want to see the bill for the other Giant equipment I'm getting ;-)

Maybe get some of giants cheapie flat pedals for under R200 as a test pair, they have decent enough pins just the bearings are not serviceable

doesn't help if your pedal spindle is cro-mo,but the crankarm threaded insert is alu: hit a stump today, and with my pedal acting like a swashplate, i thought i had bent the spindle. But alas, alu insert is ISM. fk.

anyway, those new giant pedals look pretty cool. remind of me of mainstream platforms. The previous versions were utter shite.

Edited by Capricorn

I just bought a set of those giant pedals today for R350 but they are the unsealed version. Same bodies and those pins are RAZOR sharp when new. And I know that the axles are strong cos I hit a stump in tokai on Wednesday and bent the old ones , as well as the end of my Hussefelt crank. Also did a nutsac to bars followed by a faceplant.......

doesn't help if your pedal spindle is cro-mo,but the crankarm threaded insert is alu: hit a stump today, and with my pedal acting like a swashplate, i thought i had bent the spindle. But alas, alu insert is ISM. fk.

anyway, those new giant pedals look pretty cool. remind of me of mainstream platforms. The previous versions were utter shite.

Is that a alu insert into carbon? What cranks?

I'm starting off with Giant Platform Sport pedals, which costs R550.

I feel this isn't too bad as I can get a feel for flats - then decide if I want to invest in proper ones in the future.

Ouch, paid R350 for the same pedals at my LBS.

For every pr of 510 you get, you'll probably go through 3 prs of "skate" shoes. Right tool 4 the right job....just saying. Just compare build quality is all.

Is that a alu insert into carbon? What cranks?

Not carbon: alu SLX cranks. With alu insert. happy days.. Not.

Edited by Capricorn