Meerendal MTB

Tubeless

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything specific you noticed? I don't ride there often but I haven't noticed anything weird the last time I was there..

Contermanskloof trails and Hooggekraal trail are open to the public (R30 in the honesty box) if you're looking for some alternatives in the area. Hooggekraal is graded blue (intermediate) and Contermanskloof has green, blue and black options.

They have decided to go it alone. They are no longer part of Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club as far as I know. Was there a few weeks back. The trails are not great. Loads of bushes growing on the sides which cover you in ticks as you ride past. Sad one!! :thumbdown:

please tell more, where was this?

Do we have to pay twice or just once for use of both trails? I normally just pay at Hooggekraal and once in a blue moon I ride both trails. Please advise me on the correct format. Thanks.

Hi copperhead, you need to pay per trail. so if you ride both in the same day then R30 for Conti and R30 for Hooggenkraal

I spoke to a club member on Sunday morning as I left Hoogekraal and he asked if I was going to join the club. We spoke about Meerendal and there was no mention of it being separated. It is an attraction to join and I stand to correction but that only leaves Hoogekraal and Conties and the corridors, because Majik is free and the others are closed to MTB'ers?

Is this confirmed or are we jumping to conclusions, just like saying the Llandudno cyclist died but yet she is on her way to a full recovery?

Have to admit but last time we were there about two weeks ago, I couldn't help thinking how the trails have rapidly gone into disrepair in general, but especially the new burms section and the new single track from the vineyards down to the old starting hut (although I suspect it may have been too muddy to have it open). Real shame given the facilities and after-ride experience. But the new start and finish at Contermans are great with the coffee shop and toilets, and will be seeing more of us. Just a shame the Hoogekraal corridor with Contermans is closing/ed. Will just have to tackle it from the road instead, but it's not the same.    

I spoke to a club member on Sunday morning as I left Hoogekraal and he asked if I was going to join the club. We spoke about Meerendal and there was no mention of it being separated. It is an attraction to join and I stand to correction but that only leaves Hoogekraal and Conties and the corridors, because Majik is free and the others are closed to MTB'ers?

Is this confirmed or are we jumping to conclusions, just like saying the Llandudno cyclist died but yet she is on her way to a full recovery?

Your club membership would still include access to Meerendal (I assume the club and Meerendal still has an arrangement even though they are now seperated)

I rode there on Wednesday and must say that the trails are not what it used to be.  The singletrack is shot and the bushes have overgrown some sections.

Will skip it for a couple of months, hope they come to the party and sort it out.

Agree with flymango. Was at Meerendal on Sunday. Really disappointed by the state of especially the new sections. Think they should be careful not to take their loyal MTB following for granted.

Cool. Thanks. I thought I was getting it wrong!! Are you guys not interested in maybe having a day permit for R50 or R60 where we can get a temporary board and ride all the trails for the day? I might come out there more often then.. :whistling:

we are working on it and looking at the price range mentioned. There are a number of landowners involved so it isn't something we can do without their buy in.

Your club membership would still include access to Meerendal (I assume the club and Meerendal still has an arrangement even though they are now seperated)

Agreements and pricing are being negotiated and we don't forsee that access for club members will change.

You can do Hoogekraal, Conters, Meerendal, Hillcrest, and Bloemendal on the Tygerberg membership. Also the link from Hillcrest  to Majik.

Cool. Thanks. I thought I was getting it wrong!! Are you guys not interested in maybe having a day permit for R50 or R60 where we can get a temporary board and ride all the trails for the day? I might come out there more often then.. :whistling:

hi .. watch this space as it is being worked on

Does it mean a reduction in my 2015 subscription cos Meerendal doesn't fall within Tygerberg maintenance? 

Archived