29er Tyre combo

Mopkop

Would you recommend running the Sagauro on the front? I know how good those protection tyres can be as Ive had them for about 19 months without ANY k@k.

I feel that a new setup should be tried but theres just WAY too many options!!!

Saguaro is imo to heavy for affront tyre and the grip is better with other options like x-king or RR nobby nic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a dry ride like Joberg2c I used Maxis Ardent front and Crossmark rear - Good rolling resistance, bulletproof fit and forget with 100ml Stans in each, no punctures. Only downside is they're heavier than most combos.

Is the general consensus that the Ardent is too aggressive for the rear and not fast rolling enough?

IMHO it isnt too agressive and still rolls well. But there is the ardent race as well which fits in between.

Ive been looking at the tpi between the tyres. The protections are 240tpi while the geax tnt is 120tpi. How big a difference will this make? Id rather go with a heavier tyre but one thats going last. Think I'll stick with the continentals

Ive been looking at the tpi between the tyres. The protections are 240tpi while the geax tnt is 120tpi. How big a difference will this make? Id rather go with a heavier tyre but one thats going last. Think I'll stick with the continentals

Geax are TOUGH as nails!!!

My issue with Conti is the sidewall seeping and losing air, and the frail of the protection sidewall.

That all for a R700+ tyre, not good enough.

Geax are great, as long as you dont try to fit them on Stans rims...

I'm also on Ardent front and Crossmark rear.

Same here, really great combination. Maxxis are a bit heavy, but bulletproof.

Conti best combo by far. You can also use Mountain King front, X king rear for rugged rocky scenarios. But Xking/race king is awesome.

Whatever you do, DONT buy spez spaz rubber, it's heavy and useless imo

Conti best combo by far. You can also use Mountain King front, X king rear for rugged rocky scenarios. But Xking/race king is awesome.

Been on SPEZ rubber for 2 years now an no issues,even doing Enduro with them and no issues so Useless to you maybe but to others they work very well.

Spez Butcher on the front and Captain Control on the rear or Onza Canis. Spez Storm Control is also a great tyre.

Tom

Pump your brakes, bud.

I've been running a pair of Spez Ground Controls for the past year and it's the best rubber I've ever used. Bloody strong sidewalls, grips like snot and rolls well. 

• 3 months later...

Just ripped open rear saguaro.. Need bombproof combo in 2.3 -2.4. Keen to give saguaro another go because its been great, and was pretty rough section. Don't care if heavy, want strength and grip for more trail orientated riding. Suggestions for front tyre?

Spaz Butcher. Since my last post above I'm running them both front and rear. Brilliant tyres and don't cost the earth.

Tom

Just ripped open rear saguaro.. Need bombproof combo in 2.3 -2.4. Keen to give saguaro another go because its been great, and was pretty rough section. Don't care if heavy, want strength and grip for more trail orientated riding. Suggestions for front tyre?

Recently put a WTB trailboss 2.25 on the back, as the weirwolf was shot.

So far I am really impressed with the trailboss. I have stated previously how awesome the Weirwolfs are.

Definately more trail orietated. Dunnow what they weigh. Never worried about the weight of tyres as I prefer riding to walking because of destroyed tyre.

Edit: will work great as front tyre, as the trailboss has a nice and aggressive tread pattern

Who stocks the ardent race in Cape Town ?

Bought 1 at CWC R450 on special, riding it on the back with a Rocket Ron front and so far so good, bought it to train with as Racing Ralph wears to quick, so far no problems and enough grip

Archived