Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

Were did you get the mirror from?

I got mine from Aspire Velotech in the States ~ www.avt.bike. They ship to SA no issues.

Price starts at around $30 for one unit, less for multiples.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm keen for one of those italian bike mirrors if someone from cape town wants to do a multiple unit order... 

or maybe this is an opportunity for one of thehub's sponsors to start stocking them

So what can we each individually do?

Lets get some suggestions going! I'll kick off with these. Please add what you have thought of!

1. Tackle the mindset of all of the people in your circle of influence. Family, friends and co workers!

Get them to somehow understand that no matter how badly behaved a cyclist can be, he\she will add less than 30 seconds to your trip but those could be the difference between the trip almost having any delay and someone's special person return home to continue living a life with them.

2. Become super vigilant about your own interactions with cyclists on the road and don't allow anger or frustration to put their lives in any unnecessary danger if you encounter them in this state.

3. ....

You can do what you want it is not going to change the carnage on the roads. Remember it is not only cyclists who are killed on our roads but, also a huge number  of pedestrians. As much as I like road riding, the reality of the matter is that mountain biking is far safer. You only fall if you make a silly mistake . Mount biking is unfortunately (or fortunately) the solution to the problem.

You can do what you want it is not going to change the carnage on the roads. Remember it is not only cyclists who are killed on our roads but, also a huge number  of pedestrians. As much as I like road riding, the reality of the matter is that mountain biking is far safer. You only fall if you make a silly mistake . Mount biking is unfortunately (or fortunately) the solution to the problem.

If no one does anything you are right, nothing will improve.

Riding off road is not the solution. It is an alternative. An alternative many of us already choose for as much of the free time we have. But how exactly is this a solution when you commute to work and back for example??

I was thinking of this this morning. Money talks - what is the cycling industry worth and how many people does it employ?

If government can be shown that cycling contributes to the economy and employes people maybe then stricter rules will be enforced. Also, its is not just an elitist sport as there must be thousand of commuters who ride to work simply because they can't afford public transport. That should also help get government involved.

I have no idea who you would pass these numbers on to though.

Erm I heard R600mil from Argus - ppl traveling to CT etc. The only way to make a significant impact on a reflection of that is to all not enter... But too late we have already done it...

Are there any plans for a memorial ride for Johan?

Will find out. There will be a minute of silence at the one tonner. :w00t:

RIP

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/copy-of-ca-p4-johan-schoeman-done-1.1765443!/image/753854007.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/753854007.jpg

I have a thought process which may need some tinkering.

I had an experience which sparked a letter to the Minister if Safety and Security, after a few mails back and forth he eventually answered my first mail, I could post it in a separate place if there is interest.

Anyway it seems the issue is about policing and the law, what if we offered our services to the traffic authorities? They are looking at a reservist type structure and the amount of stupidity I see, on the road daily, is frightening. If I could help police in some way and know that something will be done about it, I am willing to give up time to help and make sure people see that they cannot get away with breaking the rules.

How many of you would give up an hour or two or three a week to do this and how could we offer our services? Sit at an intersection for an hour recording transgressions on camera and then this could be passed on to the traffic and they deal with it accordingly, taking the law into account.

RIP Johan and may your family find peace.

PS edited for spelling and grammar - may still not be perfect

Edited by eelvio

http://t.co/pDdnij0YOO 

Just a correction on this article - the Funeral is at "Sonstraal NG Kerk" not Durbanville.

I have told Elzette about the initiative to have a moment of silence at this weekends race, as well as some riders who are going to wear black armbands - I cannot tell you how much that means to her!!!!

We are blown away by support shown from this forum (and others) and really appreciate it.

Thanks ALL!!!!

Edited by RIPJohan

I have a thought process which may need some tinkering.

I had an experience which sparked a letter to the Minister if Safety and Security, after a few mails back and forth he eventually answered my first mail, I could post it in a separate place if there is interest.

Anyway it seems the issue is about policing and the law, what if we offered our services to the traffic authorities? They are looking at a reservist type structure and the amount of stupidity I see, on the road daily, is frightening. If I could help police in some way and know that something will be done about it, I am willing to give up time to help and make sure people see that they cannot get away with breaking the rules.

How many of you would give up an hour or two or three a week to do this and how could we offer our services? Sit at an intersection for an hour recording transgressions on camera and then this could be passed on to the traffic and they deal with it accordingly, taking the law into account.

RIP Johan and may your family find peace.

PS edited for spelling and grammar - may still not be perfect

Sounds something like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781731/Drivers-phone-beware-The-bicycling-vigilante-He-s-self-appointed-scourge-reckless-motorists-filming-misdeeds-handing-evidence-police-And-popular-ain-t.html

Just a correction on this article - the Funeral is at "Sonstraal NG Kerk" not Durbanville.

I have told Elzette about the initiative to have a moment of silence at this weekends race, as well as some riders who are going to wear black armbands - I cannot tell you how much that means to her!!!!

We are blown away by support shown from this forum (and others) and really appreciate it.

Thanks ALL!!!!

Thanks for this update too! Many of us may not know Johan or his family personally but we more than certainly understand this situation and the impact it has! Most of the long standing members of this community have unfortunately lived through saying goodbye to someone they know for very similar reasons and therefore share this grief with you during this time of mourning.

Yip but I am not so sure I want my face all over the papers, also not necessarily on a bike as that may incite hatred.

Yes, it's far more civilised there, but I'm mostly referring to the system they have in place rather than the method in which it is done. You will find many people prepared to contribute as part of their normal daily commute rather than specifically sitting somewhere to do this.