Front knee pain.

SpiralS

I am experiencing front of knee pain. More in the left than right. Can this be related to any setup issues?

It's hampering riding at the moment. I have to skip a day on my commute.

Any advice will be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DieBees

It could be one of two things. A saddle that is too low or if you are pedaling in too low cadence and forcing it.

Look at you saddle height and make sure you maintain a cadence of above 80.

Other than that I dont really know...

Agree with DieBees, sounds like your saddle could be too low.

Rule of thumb: Front knee pain = saddle too low

Back knee pain = saddle too high.

This is obviously for those who don't have any previous knee issues.

Ja, your saddle is (1) too low and/or (2) too far forward.

Sort out your setup asap and the pain should just disappear on its own.

Can also be shoe and cleat set up...normally if its on the inside or outside of the knee its cleat alignment..if its at the bottom or top of the knee its saddle height.

People often underestimate the importance of cleat alignment, if your cleat alignment is out it will affect your knee..because the bottom part of your leg is being twisted lightly.

I had the opposite experiance ...bike came from a service ...took it for a spin....incredible left knee pain..in front ...checked my saddle height....2cm higher...lowered it ...all good ...no pain ... :)

Had the same issue only on my right knee.Adjusted my cleats and saddle height. All is fine now, also used K-tape during longer rides at first, really helped a lot.

If there was no pain before check setup. I had my saddle drop few cm and got all kinds of pain. Seat + Cleats should be something moved there.

Get a professional setup done - I think Dr Jeroen Swart in CT does them - and if you have an injury he will point you in the right direction too.

I have pain on the inside of my knee. The saddle height, as stated above, is the first point to correct, but the physio also pointed out to me that I don't activate my glutes properly when I pedal, which leads to my knee dropping inwards and causing the pain. So I have to stretch before I ride as well, which isn't really a strong point of mine.. :blush:

I had a similiar issue until i had my bike setup done. 
I used Debbie from Dynamic Bike Fit in Tokai to do the setup. 

It was really a pleasure dealing with her. 

Archived