Assisted Suicide By Bike

patches

ok...flame suit on...when i drive to my morning run at 4:45 in the morning....in my quiet little suburb I pass through two traffic lights designed to accommodate flow through the other road..I usually stop check if there are any cars, cyclists, runners on the road - and if not if go through - else I have to wait for a few minutes....is that the same thing  :ph34r:  :whistling:

edit - both left turns into the main flow

edit 2 - i dont condone the slow and check routine...especially when they are some cars out.....but sometimes...the road is empty...and if you stop and check it is an option to go through

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn :ph34r: this again.....

Edited by Smimby

ok...flame suit on...when i drive to my morning run at 4:45 in the morning....in my quiet little suburb I pass through two traffic lights designed to accommodate flow through the other road..I usually stop check if there are any cars, cyclists, runners on the road - and if not if go through - else I have to wait for a few minutes....is that the same thing  :ph34r:  :whistling:

edit - both left turns into the main flow

Good question Caller No. 5

Well here are the differences I see

• 4:45 (not 6am, which in JHB is actually quite busy already)
  • quiet suburb (not the intersection of Willam Nicol and Republic... ie approx 6 lanes for bike to cross before clear)
  • you stop (they slowed slightly about 20m before intersecion. gave a quick look-a-roo and carried on going)
  • and then the obvious... you're in a car and I don't think you have your wife/child in the back seat. You can accelerate and brake better than a tandem too.

So yeah, I personally wouldn't count it as the same thing.

Unless this was the 1st time on a tandem, I'm sure that they have repeated this act before. If so the passenger is fully aware of the conductors cycling habits. 

Exactly, if that was me and wife for example it would only happen once and be a case of getting the "never riding with you again" lecture plus a few days of solitary confinement having to cook for myslef while sleeping on the couch.

Edited by SwissVan

If it is my wife with me the first thing in my mind would be our baby girl. Having no parents must suck. 

That said I do the skip thing regularly. Mostly on T junctions with a yellow line and where I go straight not into the T. Some crosses to. But OK I ride very VERY early in the mornings and I keep it to crossing with miles clear view to all sides.

If there is Traffic around I stop even with opportunities. I stop and wait. 

I have found GREEN light the most frighting. Cars tend to ignore my right of passage to go straight on green and 50% of the time try to sneak in in front of me or expect me to stop actually. They perform sometimes and is very surprised on near misses so I get very nervous approaching an intersection and there is a car on the other side approaching with his flicker on. Is he going to stop or is he slowing down to just turn in front of me. Especially when I am going fast.

Was hoping for more, its Friday after all.

3 out of 10

I'm pretty sure they were on the Tom Hanks diet or whatever that meat eating one is called.

Does that spice it up for you?

Or do you still need more...

Edited by patches

I'm pretty sure they were on the Tom Hanks diet or whatever that meat eating one is called.

Need more, can't we crowbar something else in here? Hubbers are not biting, where is the tandem authority when you need him?

Stop bantering and stick to the topic :devil:

I go through red robots all the time!!

I'm not blind, I can see if a car is coming and I have more than enough power in the legs to get out of the way if one is on it's way!! 

I go through red robots all the time!!

I'm not blind, I can see if a car is coming and I have more than enough power in the legs to get out of the way if one is on it's way!! 

its ok to murder as well, just have power in the legs to get out the cycle away.