2015 Tour de France

Frosty

I know you can't compare the revenue that football makes to cycling.. BUT eg, Juventus got paid $15.2m up front at the start of the season for their cut at the TV rights.. and that's only in serie A, that's not even their Champions league TV rights cut.

Yes I know not all cycling events are watched on TV .. but Tour de France is watched by millions... sponsors pick up a big part of the organisers costs, so hello, it's time the teams got some of the revenue. 

What do you think the TV rights are worth for the 3 grand tours? Using Juventus is a poor example. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think the TV rights are worth for the 3 grand tours? Using Juventus is a poor example. 

that's why I did say I know you can't compare.

But no one is able to tell me what they sell the TDF TV rights for?

Good question, I always ASSumed it was a huge amount but apparently not

Not sure who funds the entire production which must cost a small fortune but from reading this article it looks like it might be France Television (French State owned TV)

http://inrng.com/2015/02/the-tour-de-frances-tv-guarantee/

Conclusion

There are regular questions about the Tour de France and TV rights and recent tales of the Tour de France being up for sale suggest the Tour de France could be bought and turned into a bigger money-spinner if only the TV rights could fetch a higher price. It’s not so simple as a protective government decree prevents an all-out bidding war.

Good question, I always ASSumed it was a huge amount but apparently not

Not sure who funds the entire production which must cost a small fortune but from reading this article it looks like it might be France Television (French State owned TV)

http://inrng.com/2015/02/the-tour-de-frances-tv-guarantee/

Conclusion

There are regular questions about the Tour de France and TV rights and recent tales of the Tour de France being up for sale suggest the Tour de France could be bought and turned into a bigger money-spinner if only the TV rights could fetch a higher price. It’s not so simple as a protective government decree prevents an all-out bidding war.

I swear the moment government owns anything it's a loss.

Nee wat.. start a bidding war let the biggest purse win the tv rights. so much in cycling needs to change for the sport to actually start making money.

I swear the moment government owns anything it's a loss.

Nee wat.. start a bidding war let the biggest purse win the tv rights. so much in cycling needs to change for the sport to actually start making money.

I have a feeling that we would see a lot less of the TDF on TV if it went that way...the frenchies treat it as an advert for the country i.e. a 3 week live tourism advert.

I like your thinking...

The rules for Green has changed radically.

Gonna be interesting.

I know Cav' has been eaten less donuts to get over the mountains to chase the maillot vert.

Bouhanni will be interested too.

Sagaaan will have some good challenges.

Yep, Sagan showed us he is made of some pretty strong stuff in the Tour of California. I reckon it is going to be a mighty exciting 3 weeks of racing.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Not 8.3 billion quid...

How much do you pay to watch a race? Cycling's revenue model is poked.

But increasing costs for teams to turn hotel parking lots into trailer parks is not the answer.  Ask Doug Ryder how tight the budget is.

Yep, Sagan showed us he is made of some pretty strong stuff in the Tour of California. I reckon it is going to be a mighty exciting 3 weeks of racing.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Indeed it is going to be.

Not 8.3 billion quid...

How much do you pay to watch a race? Cycling's revenue model is poked.

But increasing costs for teams to turn hotel parking lots into trailer parks is not the answer.  Ask Doug Ryder how tight the budget is.

I know your point is that it should be the same for all teams i.e. same accommodation standards, BUT that's BS because we know very well that despite the accommodation rule there is a big difference in many other aspects as well which are not (yet) ruled out by the UCI.

If a team can afford it, why not? Surely not because its unfair....ppffft

I wonder if the teams are allowed to fly first class, or do the have to go economy... wink wink?

I know your point is that it should be the same for all teams i.e. same accommodation standards, BUT that's BS because we know very well that despite the accommodation rule there is a big difference in many other aspects as well which are not (yet) ruled out by the UCI.

"The ASO (the organisation who owns and runs the TdF) is responsible for booking and paying all hotels the teams stay in. You might think that some of the smaller teams might get shafted with hotels while others big budget teams like SKY get the 5 star treatment. Actually, this isn’t the case (anymore). What happens is the ASO book all the hotels and visit each. They give all hotels a rating from 1-5. Then they allocate each team with a hotel so that they each get equal nights at 1’s, 2’s, 3’s etc. This way there is no favortism and equal number of nights in dodgy hotel rooms." source this time http://cyclingtips.com.au

Pity it's the tour de France and not just Paris, Cairns and Nice....with all those luxury hotels.

Pro Cycling is so poor that there isn't even a minimum wage for women pros yet we want to increase costs further because a couple of big budget teams can? It's just like the doping at USPS, they did it to stay competitive but everyone else did it to keep up. Does it really matter that Froome sleeps with Porte, or whoever, and is a minute slower up a 20km hill than he could be as long as Contador and Quintana have a equally bad night?

If a team can afford it, why not? Surely not because its unfair....ppffft

I wonder if the teams are allowed to fly first class, or do the have to go economy... wink wink?

22 teams enter TDF, surely you want all 22 there?

Reality is Brailsford has muddied the waters with all the marginal gains BS he sprouts to hide the more obvious reasons for improvements in his riders and the motorhome is just one more: "Sport science is massive on sleep at the moment."  Like wow, sleep a new thing? None of us sleep after a big session? Tyler wrote about it in his book? Or was that a different kind of sleep?

Take the olympics, a village gets built so all athletes get the same treatment. Even Bolt. Mainly because the handball team was there and the party is huge.

Another rule is that all teams travel between points in the same way. So the transfers over distance are either plane or train for all. And knowing ASO, the charter plane is 'roach only.