The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So tomorrow the trip to Oudtshoorn starts,a bit of KKNK a few last training rides,maybe the Swartberg Pass at a sedate pass (Gir-T the wife does not know what that is) and on Tuesday we pull into Kleinplaas for some or other obscure cycle race done by certifiable MTB'ers :whistling:  :eek:  :clap:

So tomorrow the trip to Oudtshoorn starts,a bit of KKNK a few last training rides,maybe the Swartberg Pass at a sedate pass (Gir-T the wife does not know what that is) and on Tuesday we pull into Kleinplaas for some or other obscure cycle race done by certifiable MTB'ers :whistling:  :eek:  :clap:

Enjoy the trip:)

See you there.. one week today

I will take that anytime above last years 42 degrees

I love the heat - will take that any time over having to wear arm warmers

10 days left...... and I got the flue from friday!!!  :thumbdown: so tapering earlier than I wanted to. (wish there were a cry face)

Me too - spent the long weekend in bed. Made the rather amateur move of reading last year's race report:

http://www.velotales.com/2014/04/the-36one-challenge-2014.html and was even grumpier than I normally am when I get man flu.

I have a question to all the expert techno guys... Can one use Strava on your phone with mobile data switched off? In an effort to safe battery life and also as a backup for my Garmin that will not last the whole race? What are your plans to "record" the full race?

I have a question to all the expert techno guys... Can one use Strava on your phone with mobile data switched off? In an effort to safe battery life and also as a backup for my Garmin that will not last the whole race? What are your plans to "record" the full race?

dont think you can, Strava would use data to record your cycle,

Get a battery pack, i got one of these Amped chargers at the Epic and its great!!

you can run strava with mobile data switched off.

i'm using my edge 500 with extra battery pack and DIY OTG cable 

my wife will be using an old nokia with running only strava & gps 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/144531-36one-2015/page-12#entry2557497 

My Garmin Edge 500 made the trip on one charge last time. I'm going to carry a second GPS along just in case though.

Hi all,

Super excited for our little ride next weekend. 

2 questions: 

1. Anyone from Joburg driving down that can take 2 bikes? We're flying down Thurs and would prefer not to fly with bikes. Happy to pay our share. 
  2. Rain next Thurs/Fri is predicted to be 21mm. No forecast for Sat yet. So, what kind of surface are we riding on? is the sand slippery when wet with clingy mud or is it fast draining and less clay? i.e. do we need to think differently in terms of what tyres we pack and possibly mud guards? 

Bought a Red-e 6000 mah power bank for my garmin 510 and light, works perfectly. Dont need a special cable as it charges the garmin while recording without switching off. 

Hi all,

Super excited for our little ride next weekend. 

2 questions: 

1. Anyone from Joburg driving down that can take 2 bikes? We're flying down Thurs and would prefer not to fly with bikes. Happy to pay our share. 
  2. Rain next Thurs/Fri is predicted to be 21mm. No forecast for Sat yet. So, what kind of surface are we riding on? is the sand slippery when wet with clingy mud or is it fast draining and less clay? i.e. do we need to think differently in terms of what tyres we pack and possibly mud guards? 

If I recall correctly that soil is sandy rather than clay in the area, but thanks for adding something else to my worry list. :unsure:

Google showed me right back to the source of all knowledge...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132334-making-a-fender-for-your-mtb/

Possible to easily make a quick "joppie" and add it to the bottom of the box at CP1.

yes you can do that , I switch everything off just the strava is on

If I recall correctly that soil is sandy rather than clay in the area, but thanks for adding something else to my worry list. :unsure:

Google showed me right back to the source of all knowledge...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132334-making-a-fender-for-your-mtb/

Possible to easily make a quick "joppie" and add it to the bottom of the box at CP1.

if you want your bike transported speak to andre steenkamp - send me a message - he is running a small vehicle down for the event.