Why do you need cadence??

Pointer

Hubbers,

Who use there cadence function on Polar, Garmin, Bryton or Suunto?

I just bought the Garmin Edge and got the speed/cadence sensor with. This senor is bulky and was wondering who use the cadence information and why?

Will I benefit from having it? Don't need to install the speed sensor since the gps give your speed anyway.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cadence is an important measure to cycling more efficiently

Most recommend 80-100 revs per minute

Above that you windmill and not have enough torque

Below that you can tire out your mossels quicker

Just watch the PROs on TV

Have it .Never use it .Same with heart rate .For interest sake mainly .Distance ,ave speed and time is useful

The reason you have a cadence sensor is to be able to monitor your efficiency while pedaling.

As 'Dale points out, but for the wrong reasons, optimum efficiency is achieved at around 90 cadence for the majority of cyclists. Below this level you are using your muscles excessively to produce power and using energy stores rapidly, above this number you struggle to replace the oxygen in your blood leading to lactic acid build up.

Odds are you will know when you are pedaling too fast but it's when you go too slow that the cadence monitor helps by giving you a visual reminder that you are grinding and should change down to an easier gear.

Hubbers,

Who use there cadence function on Polar, Garmin, Bryton or Suunto?

I just bought the Garmin Edge and got the speed/cadence sensor with. This senor is bulky and was wondering who use the cadence information and why?

Will I benefit from having it? Don't need to install the speed sensor since the gps give your speed anyway.

It's helpful to know especially if you are on a training programme with specific targets.

You don't need a sensor tho...just count your revs over a 15 second period and multiply by 4

Isn't cadence more important for road cycling?

I think it is very important for MTBing too.

I always tell myself...the higher cadence = less knee pain

I also need high cadence to get to the speed I need to be quickly to clear things.

The sensor is also nice to have if you ride a lot of tree lines etc where GPS signal can be lost. I've seen a difference in distance covered between my ride and a mates who only uses GPS when riding through forests etc.

Upping my cadence has changed the way I ride.  I climb faster and my legs stay fresher.  At first I felt stupid spinning away while the "big boys" attacked the hill standing but it works for me.  I don't have a sensor, but I have a few songs I sing in my head to keep the tempo up. 

What made a big difference for me too, was one session on the watt bike, and analyzing my pedal stroke.  The graph visually gives instant feedback, and I now know what "right" feels like. 

Upping my cadence has changed the way I ride. I climb faster and my legs stay fresher. At first I felt stupid spinning away while the "big boys" attacked the hill standing but it works for me. I don't have a sensor, but I have a few songs I sing in my head to keep the tempo up.

What made a big difference for me too, was one session on the watt bike, and analyzing my pedal stroke. The graph visually gives instant feedback, and I now know what "right" feels like.

Same here... my body (knee)lets me know when I need to up my cadence. But I don't ride with any sensors or monitors.. I ride on feel.. lost my 2e gps at the berg and bush so now everything is on feel[emoji12] strangely I am actually riding better without anything.

Same here... my body (knee)lets me know when I need to up my cadence. But I don't ride with any sensors or monitors.. I ride on feel.. lost my 2e gps at the berg and bush so now everything is on feel[emoji12] strangely I am actually riding better without anything.

It is because you are lighter now... :lol:

Upping my cadence has changed the way I ride.  I climb faster and my legs stay fresher.  At first I felt stupid spinning away while the "big boys" attacked the hill standing but it works for me.  I don't have a sensor, but I have a few songs I sing in my head to keep the tempo up. 

What made a big difference for me too, was one session on the watt bike, and analyzing my pedal stroke.  The graph visually gives instant feedback, and I now know what "right" feels like.

Nice one blondie...cadence is a very very important metric if you are serious about improving performance, as you pointed out as well, stroke analysis. 90rpm for the win....

Nice one blondie...cadence is a very very important metric if you are serious about improving performance, as you pointed out as well, stroke analysis. 90rpm for the win....

I wrote a letter to santa and asked for a sensor for Christmas.  ;) 

I ride on feel too.

I think it feels better cause it is more for the fun rather than the 'race against the dials/sensors'.

Archived