Why do you need cadence??

Pointer

I always tell myself...the higher cadence = less knee pain

Tip of the day Hayley.....

Get yourself some decent inserts in your shoes.  Solved a LOT of my knee issues. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ride on feel too.

I think it feels better cause it is more for the fun rather than the 'race against the dials/sensors'.

Yip..I agree. Even when I had the unit on the bike I would hardly ever look at it, and hubby had to always remind me to press start[emoji85]

Serious noob question. I started riding hills in a harder gear thinking it's the only way to get stronger on hills. I do tend to tire quicker, but i get up the hills faster - but recovery time after the hill is longer.

Heard the sheriff's comment on his show about shifting to a lower gear and resulting in less injuries - and that makes sense and works but how does one actually get the legs stronger - just TITS and strength training off the bike?

Yup I also have to agree, I hardly look at my Garmin anymore to check my cadence but I have learnt what 90rpm feels like and try and stick to that. Feels better for longer especially when climbing. I also then know I can up to 100rpm or whatever quickly to clear an obstacle or pass.

I also like to check afterwards on the cadence graph and see where I should have changed up/down quicker/earlier and try and remember that for next time

The speed sensor helps a lot where there isn't great satellite signal.

Serious noob question. I started riding hills in a harder gear thinking it's the only way to get stronger on hills. I do tend to tire quicker, but i get up the hills faster - but recovery time after the hill is longer.

Heard the sheriff's comment on his show about shifting to a lower gear and resulting in less injuries - and that makes sense and works but how does one actually get the legs stronger - just TITS and strength training off the bike?

Sheriff is right, beside putting alot of strain on your knees, tendons and muscles, you will pop aka fatigue alot quicker if you grind out hills instead of spinning them....getting legs stronger is easy, do leg exercises in the gym once a week...that will make them stronger...you want to however use your cardio engine more than brute strength. As you mentioned you take longer to recover if you grind out a hill at a lower cadence than if you spun it out. Again...90rpm for the win.

Tip of the day Hayley.....

Get yourself some decent inserts in your shoes.  Solved a LOT of my knee issues. 

Oh no, I dont struggle with knee pain because I do the high cadence thing (well that is what I tell myself, because I use to have strain on my knees back when I didnt).

Also I ride MTB with only flats, and they are like walking on clouds ^_^

I wrote a letter to santa and asked for a sensor for Christmas.  ;)

what HR monitor do you have...garmin ant+

what HR monitor do you have...garmin ant+

My polar is kaput, so I need to shop around for something that can give me HR and cadence.  gps would be nice. I need something simple.  What do you suggest?

My polar is kaput, so I need to shop around for something that can give me HR and cadence. gps would be nice. I need something simple. What do you suggest?

I have a polar HR monitor and strap lying around somewhere, you want it.. hell I may even have the cadence sensor too.

If you do get a GPS and it's a Bryton I have accessories for you. Just shout I can pop it in the mail for you.

Sorry can't send you the actual Bryton.. the one is somewhere in Magaliesburg and the other somewhere near Spioenkop[emoji12]

My polar is kaput, so I need to shop around for something that can give me HR and cadence.  gps would be nice. I need something simple.  What do you suggest?

ah ok, thought you had an ant+ monitor already and needed a cadence sensor. I have a brand new one for you still its packaging for free. But its going to be useless if you dont have a headunit.

Garmin edge 500 blondie...shop around for the best price. Really lekker unit, that checks all the boxes.

They are nice....but still pricey....I think santa might need more than just a letter, I might have to go visit and sit on his lap :lol:

last unit you'll ever buy. 

last unit you'll ever buy.

I'm thinking if getting hubby something like that for xmas.. he likes seeing how far he still has to ride [emoji23]

I have a polar HR monitor and strap lying around somewhere, you want it.. hell I may even have the cadence sensor too.

If you do get a GPS and it's a Bryton I have accessories for you. Just shout I can pop it in the mail for you.

Sorry can't send you the actual Bryton.. the one is somewhere in Magaliesburg and the other somewhere near Spioenkop[emoji12]

Thanks Gen... I'm keen if you can find the sensor.  The gps is no train smash....I can continue logging strava with my phone. :)

Archived