JSE Investing

Wayne Potgieter

(ignore the child-like simplicity of this pic pls...) I've been absolutely stunned by the severity of the daily moves in our market, and this really does apply to most stocks on the board. This is just one I decided to have a look at, Sibanye, over about 1 month. Net gain pretty close to +100%, but the in-between smaller % moves are just staggering.

That's volatility for ya!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The local and international markets are almost impossible to fathom right now. I'm sitting on the sidelines with only some shorts on some international markets to trade with and I'm watching the first quarter earnings data with great interest.

On one of my portfolios I'm taking the opportunity to re-balance it and lock in some capital gains losses at the same time. Sell low and buy low was not a concept I have thought much about?

Edited by River Rat

(ignore the child-like simplicity of this pic pls...) I've been absolutely stunned by the severity of the daily moves in our market, and this really does apply to most stocks on the board. This is just one I decided to have a look at, Sibanye, over about 1 month. Net gain pretty close to +100%, but the in-between smaller % moves are just staggering.

Where can one see these graphs

Or let me rather ask, how do I get into this. I have a small amount that i want to play with.

Where can one see these graphs

Or let me rather ask, how do I get into this. I have a small amount that i want to play with.

I'm signed up with Standard Bank online trading. They recently rolled out in partnership with Iress a really handy dashboard kind of thing, shows me heatmaps, any kind of watchlist, graphs, sens, nothing technical charting wise but nice to have.

I  suspect though most online platforms will have a graph system going on, and probably for cheaper than SBK

Well done, that's the easy part now don't get too irritated with the FICA nonsense :whistling:

Or the ridiculous 'trading hours'. Even worse when you're in another time zone!

But they're cheap and pretty effective.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else expecting/waiting for the market to totally collapse again? 

Or is it just me being a pessimist...  :ph34r:  again

Is anyone else expecting/waiting for the market to totally collapse again? 

Or is it just me being a pessimist...  :ph34r:  again

My timing for the next pullback is July / August when the poor second quarter results are published. In my opinion that will be the first time the market is going to price in the reality of COVID, at the moment it seems to be driven by hope for a V shaped recovery. In the meantime expect a roller coaster ride.

Easy Equities is cheap and has a very good UI. FAR cheaper than Standard / FNB / most bank-based systems at a charge of 0.6% p/a iirc. 

Hi Capt can one buy SATRIX 40  on this platform?

Hi Capt can one buy SATRIX 40  on this platform?

Not 100% sure on that, but I am sure they have that option. Not my area of expertise, yet. 

EDIT: Yes, you can. There are multiple top 40 tracker funds available. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Not 100% sure on that, but I am sure they have that option. Not my area of expertise, yet. 

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

that's interesting, I'm into blockchain business right now. 

Edited by greys

just registered with easy equities , I'm dumb founded by how easy it was 

I've listened to hours of spew by bankers and come no closer than i was 2 hours ago 

.....Now 

Why can't i find Nvidia or Corsair on their site as an example ? Can their stock just not be bought through easy equities ?