Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

Here's mine WITH FiveTens...

attachicon.gif12m fail.jpg

Down to the shin bone...

BUT... that was not from a pedal and cannot be blamed on FiveTens. Nope, the only person to blame here was me for pulling a Fischbach and taking my foot off and getting it caught in the rear wheel, while jumping.

I bet you those 510's had white laces prior to you "move" on the bike :P

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's mine WITH FiveTens...

attachicon.gif12m fail.jpg

Down to the shin bone...

BUT... that was not from a pedal and cannot be blamed on FiveTens. Nope, the only person to blame here was me for pulling a Fischbach and taking my foot off and getting it caught in the rear wheel, while jumping.

MA se woes mar daai lyk seer  :eek:  :rolleyes:

MA se woes mar daai lyk seer :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to flag all your posts, because every time you post I suddenly NEED a newly painted frame. topic>

Thanks!

It's the same type of technique as doing box jumps. Crouch and jump. The bike WILL come up with you. You need to lift the front wheel first, but that's how it's done.

Lift front wheel (the better you get at this the easier it'll be to bunny hop and the higher you'll go as well) and then do your box jump. Suck up the bike, as if you're trying to get on to the top of the box.

I've literally been thinking about this all day. What's a box jump?! Google is full of people jumping on top of boxes. Some cross fit routine. No bikes. I'm confused.

I've literally been thinking about this all day. What's a box jump?! Google is full of people jumping on top of boxes. Some cross fit routine. No bikes. I'm confused.

Lol. That's because it's exactly what I was referring to. A box jump is when you jump, from a standing position on the ground to a position on top of a box resting in front of you.

You start by going into a crouch and then exploding up and forwards, bringing your legs up and under you at the same time in order to come to a rest on top of a box.

Bunny hop is the same general principle, except your floor is the pedals and the box is an obstacle that you need to clear. Lift the front end, crouch and explode upwards. Suck up the bike (bring your legs up to clear the box) and the bike will follow.

Land...

Where the majority of people get it wrong (with cleats, mainly) is that they jump without first compressing / crouching or lifting the front end. That's like trying to do a box jump without crouching - all the upward motion is coming from your calves, instead of your quads, hammies, glutes AND calves. That's why they get so little air...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Lol. That's because it's exactly what I was referring to. A box jump is when you jump, from a standing position on the ground to a position on top of a box resting in front of you.

You start by going into a crouch and then exploding up and forwards, bringing your legs up and under you at the same time in order to come to a rest on top of a box.

Bunny hop is the same general principle, except your floor is the pedals and the box is an obstacle that you need to clear. Lift the front end, crouch and explode upwards. Suck up the bike (bring your legs up to clear the box) and the bike will follow.

Land...

Where the majority of people get it wrong (with cleats, mainly) is that they jump without first compressing / crouching or lifting the front end. That's like trying to do a box jump without crouching - all the upward motion is coming from your calves, instead of your quads, hammies, glutes AND calves. That's why they get so little air...

Someone sticky this, and move it to an immortal thread with flashing lights. Or something. Thanks man. I've been schooled. Can't wait to hurt myself learning this.

did you fall on the pedals and then go back and drag your shins over the pins again as you were not happy with the results from the first slip?

Haha, no not exactly.  We were on the farm, and late the Sunday afternoon I went for a play session on my way to tighten one of the windpumps.  There is a very old kraal on the way back, which is built with rocks, and it has nice and wide walls.  So I did a few sets of riding on the wall and dropping off the wall onto the side of an erosion ditch which is great fun.

However I just before heading home, I thought, let me do one more, a little faster, but I overshot the landing slightly and my right foot slipped off the pedal, and the pedal attacked my shin.  

Worst is, my knee/shin guards were at home. 

Someone sticky this, and move it to an immortal thread with flashing lights. Or something. Thanks man. I've been schooled. Can't wait to hurt myself learning this.

Next episode request is for proper manualing technique........

Hear hear!

Bring it Captain .....

Disclaimer time

I suck at bunnyhops & manualling. I know the theory, but my lard ass can't really apply it that well!

EDIT - I can't jump that high in real life either, so I'm limited ito height I can get in a bunnyhop. 

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Just find your balance point..........

Haaa, easier said than done!!!

Yip, I can find my balance point for about 3 seconds and then I lose it.  But I am getting better, thanks to riding more with flats.  When you are cleated you tend to chicken out and grab brakes before you are comfortably at the balance point.