When can I stop calling myself a noob?

Albatross

1000 posts will unshackle you my brother....however in real life the fishing analogy rings true

First you want to catch a fish

Then you want to catch lots of fish

Then you want to catch a big fish

Then you want to catch elusive fish

Lastly you want to teach people to fish.

So lets translate to cycling

First you want to ride a bike

Then you want to ride in a race

Then you want to ride a hard race

Then you want to a stage race

Then you stop giving a crap about races and just ride with tjommies for the laughs 

Quick question - How come for the Cycling analogy a stage race is the pinnacle of achievement?

If this rings true the Minnaars and Buys's of the world have got it wrong!

Personally I would substitute "stage race" with World Level race (be it Stage Race, Marathon, Cross country, Downhill, or Enduro)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question - How come for the Cycling analogy a stage race is the pinnacle of achievement?

Personally I would substitute "stage race" with World Level race (be it Stage Race, Marathon, Cross country, Downhill, or Enduro)

I think it is just that for the majority of recreational cyclists out there doing a stage race is "the pinnacle of achievement", very few casual cyclists make the conversion to Cross Country, Downhill or Enduro afaik.

I think it is just that for the majority of recreational cyclists out there doing a stage race is "the pinnacle of achievement", very few casual cyclists make the conversion to Cross Country, Downhill or Enduro afaik.

Fair enough - but this type of thinking has created a very skewed mindset in SA as to what is considered proper racing or high quality events ... 

And there I always thought it was completing the August :eek:

So this weekend, I joined two older gentlemen, while cycling up Chappies. I was riding a Carbon 10 speed while the one was riding his substitute 6 Speed he bought back in the early nineties.  (His Carbon Spez was cracked.)

His cycling buddy later asked me as we were descending:

‘Do you know who that is?’

‘No’ I said starting to feel like I should.

‘That is Wimpie van der Merwe, he holds the fastest time for the Cape Argus’

‘Perfect’ I thought to myself. I’ve been talking to a legend while cycling up Chappies with out even knowing it. I felt like a tool.

Moments later I was digging for strength as I barely kept up with Mr. van der Merwe while cycling up Suikerbossie.

Even though these two gents are in a league of their own, they invited me to climb with them ^_^  

Thank You!

I have a feeling I will be a noob for many years to come.

http://www.cycletour.co.za/index.php/information/history/

Ideal weather conditions helped Wimpie van der Merwe, runner up in the inaugural event, record an incredible 2:16:40 on his recumbent.

Maybe we should be asking what level noob am I? Does watching 3 Epics on TV make me a level 1 noob?

Yes, it makes you a TV noob .

Guys, I suggested 3 Epics as I thought it was an easy and common target.

We can always vote on it, shall we then make it two or one and then up the post count accordingly ?

Wyatt....I reckon keep the hub post the same, but add one hub warning point.

Two Epics are acceptable as long as the second one is done on  SS.

We can always vote on it, shall we then make it two or one and then up the post count accordingly ?

Id say vote - as some of us have no intention of EVER doing the epic unless we use a Cyclocross bike

Because its the best....kekekekke just yanking your chain nige.

Is what it is nigel...joe soap on the street doesnt have a cooking clue about disciplines /  Worldcup / world champs...most of them starting out probably think minnaar and buys are competing against each other.

When they start out, they want to eventually do what their family / friends are doing or what they are seeing on tv....epic / sani / nissan / mtn / j2c  

Lets not take anything away from the epic though...the father of mtb has done it a couple of times....nuff said.

Because its the best....kekekekke just yanking your chain nige.

Is what it is nigel...joe soap on the street doesnt have a cooking clue about disciplines /  Worldcup / world champs...most of them starting out probably think minnaar and buys are competing against each other.

When they start out, they want to eventually do what their family / friends are doing or what they are seeing on tv....epic / sani / nissan / mtn / j2c  

Lets not take anything away from the epic though...the father of mtb has done it a couple of times....nuff said.

Fair enough ... I just think that to much emphasis is put on stage events in SA and not enough focus on XCO (and DH) ... and thats why we have such a lack of talent in the World Level events.

I agree though, take nothing away from events like the Epic, but I personally think the focus is skewed. Enough so that guys really believe that you suck as a rider if you hate climbing and havent done a multiday race.

I agree with you though that for 90% of the current riders in SA the pinnacle of achievement in their books would be to compete in a large scale event such as Epic of JHB2C etc. and thats awesome as it is a great achievement, BUT there is more out there than just that

Nigel, seriously next time you have a skills clinic please let me know.  If I can get through a week without bruising or scraping my legs I'll then maybe start feeling like less of a noob :thumbup:

Keep the post count the same but include having done a SS event as a requirement as well.

Archived