The Munga 2015

StevieL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bloody hell. Top bike is clearly too small for the rider, given the height of that seatpost and length of the stem. 

Still - amazing feat. 

The Exarro guys got these bikes in 2012 for the Epic, they have literally since then swapped them amongst themselves and ridden them stukkend.

I know it sounds a bit melancholy - but to see these guys take on what they do with the resources they have is just humbling. Alex must again get some credit here, he got a healthy number of guys into the event who were there seemingly 'out of their depth' in terms of preparation - but with real ability to finish given the most important ingredient - resolve to finish.

I see Bernard Swanepoel was following the event - hopefully if there is a profitable mine company in the country - they might give these guys some new equipment.

The Exarro guys got these bikes in 2012 for the Epic, they have literally since then swapped them amongst themselves and ridden them stukkend.

I know it sounds a bit melancholy - but to see these guys take on what they do with the resources they have is just humbling. Alex must again get some credit here, he got a healthy number of guys into the event who were there seemingly 'out of their depth' in terms of preparation - but with real ability to finish given the most important ingredient - resolve to finish.

I see Bernard Swanepoel was following the event - hopefully if there is a profitable mine company in the country - they might give these guys some new equipment.

Oh, absolutely. It takes an enormous level of psychological strength to do something like this. 

this Munga race with the live tracking was just amassing. As been mentioned little work got done, we suffered with our own sleep, and the excitement, sadness and joy was nonstop. I think Alex has got a winning receipt here.

To all the riders, the winners, and non finishers, I take my hat of for you. The difficulty of this race was unknown and they were all pathfinders for future riders to gage their abilities to these adventurers. So much respect must go to HS getting lost, and having the mental strength to turn around and get back to the actual rote, and then still finishing second. Wow, this shows pure determination. Then the last two to three groups who I thought might just not make it, to put all pain and suffering behind them and complete this race with some time to spare. You guys are just amassing. (Also still smiling with over 24 hours to go)

Now the only thing left for me to do is see if I can get my wife to mentally support me in doing this race. (Her comment to me last night was, How can you call this fun. Had to explain it is not fun, but a mental and physical adventure, and when successful, no joy or words can properly explain the jubilation one get from succeeding in such an adventure)  Hope to see some of you there next year.

Now the only thing left for me to do is see if I can get my wife to mentally support me in doing this race. 

She must just allow you to go, Bat. WE will do the support for you - we'll watch your dot till the wee hours of the morning and speculate about when you're going to get up and how long you'll stop for lunch and why your dot didn't move for 10 minutes.

Missing the updates already!

@Ztangi: Want a real brag stamp on your bike? Then do something truly epic next year. Ride @TheMungaMTB

post-4329-0-16036800-1449498071_thumb.jpeg

where does one buy those under saddle bags ?

and are 26'ers still allowed to enter races I mean rides? :nuke: :whistling:

I have a question.. as a competitor were you allowed to log on and see where your fellow riders were? I read the rules and there was no mention of this. I suppose there was little to no internet connectivity on the route so you would not be able to?

I have a question.. as a competitor were you allowed to log on and see where your fellow riders were? I read the rules and there was no mention of this. I suppose there was little to no internet connectivity on the route so you would not be able to?

Can't see anything in the rules that says you can't however I'm not too sure if connectivity will make it possible.

this Munga race with the live tracking was just amassing. As been mentioned little work got done, we suffered with our own sleep, and the excitement, sadness and joy was nonstop. I think Alex has got a winning receipt here.

To all the riders, the winners, and non finishers, I take my hat of for you. The difficulty of this race was unknown and they were all pathfinders for future riders to gage their abilities to these adventurers. So much respect must go to HS getting lost, and having the mental strength to turn around and get back to the actual rote, and then still finishing second. Wow, this shows pure determination. Then the last two to three groups who I thought might just not make it, to put all pain and suffering behind them and complete this race with some time to spare. You guys are just amassing. (Also still smiling with over 24 hours to go)

Now the only thing left for me to do is see if I can get my wife to mentally support me in doing this race. (Her comment to me last night was, How can you call this fun. Had to explain it is not fun, but a mental and physical adventure, and when successful, no joy or words can properly explain the jubilation one get from succeeding in such an adventure)  Hope to see some of you there next year.

So what's your training plan gonna be then?

we all know who belongs to the second bike

Patrick must be smiling from ear to ear

didn't know they really had hardtails in their lineup. And this one is 650b. In guessing their weapon of choice for munga would be that Stage max?

didn't know they really had hardtails in their lineup. And this one is 650b. In guessing their weapon of choice for munga would be that Stage max?

I would say the Stage....not the Max. I'm sure they will be there next year.

wonder what the conversation was about here?! (day 3 pics)

12346410_10153838063127774_1853888279962

Looks like one of those USB battery packs. With a one into 3 charging cable. I love these type of pics. Seeing what was going on during the race. All the different bikes and choices of equipment. By the end it looked like everything was ridden and used so once again it's up to the individual to make it happen. Equipment doesn't make you win!!

Well for now (short term goal) is next year April 36One, and then I guess build from there plenty of long slow rides during the hottest part of the day. Also do a couple of 24 hour events, and most importantly getting the right food and drinks as this seems to have effected many riders. (Hopefully go visit GU at his shop for some small talk, if you know what I mean)

ride like you stole it till we get that nasty ride from underberg to scot town .

then settle into riding the bike for hours/days/weeks at a time and never ever exceed zone 3 or 15/16km/hr whichever comes first

Archived