Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Mine has 46cm centre to centre.

Also fitted some Crosstop leavers. Really a must according to me.

Must say I really enjoy my bike!!!

post-7189-0-60574600-1489860156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mongoose

What brakes do you guys run? I have TRP Spyre-C, but the braking performance is average at best. I have Shimano RT66 160mm rotors front and back with std calipers as mentioned. I have 105 5800 brake levers.

Can I try different cable housing or brake pads?

I have Shimano Sora callipers. It is specifically made to be used on STI's leavers. ( Shimano entry level CX range) got it from CRC.

My first build with it was with 9 speed Sora leavers. Braking was fine.

Up grated to carbon Sram Red leavers. The carbon leavers are so stiff. Braking performance increased drastic. Felt like new brakes. You will be amazed what difference stiffer leavers make to braking performance!!

• 3 weeks later...

That is awesome! Killer!

What ratio are you running?

32/18... I take it up to the block house and on the trails around so didn't want to restrict myself too much on the climbs.

It is pretty perfect. I am not setting any land speed records but it's comfy

Been riding Wolverine with normal road tyres last two weeks. Have some Schwalbe gravel tyres in the post, expecting them on Monday. Will post some pics and experience with them

What pressures do you guys run on 35c-40c tyres? 3bar?

I run 3 bar on gravel and 4 on tar on my 40c's

I ran 2.5 front and 2.7 back on 40c Clements set up tubeless on a Breedts ride last weekend.

No problems. Enough grip to ride all the way up and solid enough on the way down not to bottom out.

Edited by eddy

I ran 2.5 front and 2.7 back on 40c Clements set up tubeless on a Breedts ride last weekend.

No problems. Enough grip to ride all the way up and solid enough on the way down not to bottom out.

Your weight Eddy?

Okay guys, so I've been following this thread for quite a while now, and I've recently come into some money that can be appropriated to a new project, which involves a Chinese carbon cross bike.

First question. There are so many guys selling their stuff, and so many of the frames are similar, what do I go for and from who do I get it? It appears that Thru-axle is becoming the thing now, so I'd prefer to go with that and (obviously) a disk brake setup.

Thanks in advance!

3.5 bar on 40C Veetires. Can probably go softer but don't want to damage the rims when I run out of skillz.