Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

I so desperately want to slap a set of drop bars on my rigid Salsa El Mariachi.

But I'm afraid of going through the whole financial exercise of bars and shifters and brakes and drive-train.

Then in the end the fit is not good as the frame is not designed for drop bars and the top tube might be to long.

I'm already running a 50mm riser stem with my flat bars.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Considering parting with this machine as I don't get enough time to ride my "normal" MTB let alone this one. Could also do with a larger size

post-3441-0-22688200-1528009554_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-13844000-1528009745_thumb.jpg

Haven't placed an add yet as I'm in 2 minds about it. If you're interested, let me know.

• 7 months later...

Frame is done and I will be collecting it tomorrow!  Shaun did a great job, I could not have asked for anything better!

How far did you get with this build?

• 7 months later...

Thank you for this thread guys. I've probably only been through 80% of it currently. So much good advice. I'm in the process of building a bamboo bike and I've decided to make it a cycle cross/gravel bike. Will post pictures soon.

My bamboo-cx-gravel-bike is coming along nicely.

I increased the width of the chainstay where they join onto the BB, also increased width on seatstays. I'm hoping to fit 40c's.

This is a Raleigh rc3000 frame. The fork is the wrong way around so that it could fit on my jig table.

What are we looking at here?

Newspaper wrapping of bamboo??

Don't tease us...tell us!!!

Hehe, yeah, underneath all those pick and pay specials is bamboo. I'm waiting for the resin to dry on the joints, then I can take off the newspaper and sand the bamboo a bit. Then clear coat the whole bike. Maybe I'll do the joints in a bright green.