Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Problem with this is that if you ignore them they will take civil judgement against you and that affects your credit rating. As much as you hate it, I don't think you can ignore it. Perhaps start another thread asking for opinions and advice?

Nope .. It's like those TV license lawyers SMS... They just relying on people feeling anxious and paying.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with this is that if you ignore them they will take civil judgement against you and that affects your credit rating. As much as you hate it, I don't think you can ignore it. Perhaps start another thread asking for opinions and advice?

That's exactly what worries me...seeing I want to buy an apartment later this year...????

That's exactly what worries me...seeing I want to buy an apartment later this year...[emoji47]

What's the number? 400 bucks odd? It's like dog **** on your shoe... The quickest and easiest way to be rid of it the better.

I have already asked for legal advice. They will need to issue a letter of demand first, then legal action and and and and. Until I get the letter, no need to answer the phone.

Great to hear. Now I have a go-to contact for problems. :thumbup:

Ha ha, although I don't know how much help I could be (I'm not the most tech savvy person out there - that's my sister's boyfriends job)

So today I get a call from Blake and Associates...they calling me on behalf of DSTV...and says that I still owe them R452 ...wtf. Its been two years and now the calling me...says I never gave DSTV notice of termination...some shite like that...so I told the guy I never signed a contract...never had a debit order..always paid by eft and when I decided not to have it for a couple of months I just stopped paying and I would be disconnected...and that happened two years ago for the final time ..the guy then says that the T&C's are on the decoder box...I should have known...whaaaaat I say...I bought my decoder at Cash Crusaders...now what...

Tell them to get stuffed!!!!!

I paid for my Mom's DSTV, my mom died, I gave notice to DSTV, amongst the many things I had to do. DSTV carried on for a month, unbeknown to me. I get a bill for R800 or whatever. Tell them them to bugger off, As far as I'm concerned, I gave notice.

A few months later I sell the decoder at 2nd hand shop. Get a call a couple of days later, they can't sell it, because I owe DSTV money. It seems DSTV is protected!

I'm stuck with a decoder (one of the recording ones) I can't sell, because somehow, legally, DSTV can prevent anyone else from 'registering' it on their system, until the monies are paid!!!

That was 6 years ago.

Decoder in the bin.

Never heard another word.

I'll never pay DSTV a cent, never.

Cool! How many Usb ports?

Hmm, just the one. And no SD card slot.

I have attached a USB hub and am happy to report that my IR keyboard and mouse both work although not in all situations. I don't know if I will need to have extra storage. I know that on my older device I never use the SD card so I hope not.

The device is clearly set up for streaming with Android TV and had no apps loaded which would be of use in a normal Android device. So, no file explorer, browser, and any other apps which you may have used.

I had to sideload them using my phone and a micro USB but it went pretty seamlessly although I had to stop the updates on every single existing app as they were configured to update automatically and were doing so, blocking everything else. Once that was done, other installs went fine. 

I have been warned that sideloaded apps won't work properly but the only one not working properly is Euronews. BBC, Nat Geo, Mobdro and all my others work fine. ExpressVPN too. 

Netflix was preloaded.

Interface is cool, as is the remote with voice control.  

Overall, happy but still to explore it fully. 

Now I just need to establish a reliable fibre feed and complimentary mobile data package for my phone and I'll be away. 

Let me know if you have any questions or want screenshots.

Hmm, just the one. And no SD card slot.

I have attached a USB hub and am happy to report that my IR keyboard and mouse both work although not in all situations. I don't know if I will need to have extra storage. I know that on my older device I never use the SD card so I hope not.

The device is clearly set up for streaming with Android TV and had no apps loaded which would be of use in a normal Android device. So, no file explorer, browser, and any other apps which you may have used.

I had to sideload them using my phone and a micro USB but it went pretty seamlessly although I had to stop the updates on every single existing app as they were configured to update automatically and were doing so, blocking everything else. Once that was done, other installs went fine. 

I have been warned that sideloaded apps won't work properly but the only one not working properly is Euronews. BBC, Nat Geo, Mobdro and all my others work fine. ExpressVPN too. 

Netflix was preloaded.

Interface is cool, as is the remote with voice control.  

Overall, happy but still to explore it fully. 

Now I just need to establish a reliable fibre feed and complimentary mobile data package for my phone and I'll be away. 

Let me know if you have any questions or want screenshots.

Would be interested in how you loaded the file explorer to brows normal internet as I also have the device for a month now.

Happy with it but wanted to brows the internet on google which does not seem possible.

Would be interested in how you loaded the file explorer to brows normal internet as I also have the device for a month now.

Happy with it but wanted to brows the internet on google which does not seem possible.

I don't have the device so not sure what is installed etc, but if you have access to the Play Store you should be able to install the Chrome App. That should let you browse

I don't have the device so not sure what is installed etc, but if you have access to the Play Store you should be able to install the Chrome App. That should let you browse

For some reason I couldn't find the chrome app on the App store, but did download Penguin browser for browsing internet. Haven't used it much,but did the trick. 

No, you don't have access to the normal Apps because it has Android TV installed, not Android. So no way to load Apps like file explorer, Chrome or your browser of choice or any App other than those Google approved.

It's a Pain in the neck.

So here's what I did:

Used another machine(My phone in my case) and downloaded APK files from apkpure.com. Just search for what ever it is you want (ES File Explorer, Chrome, NatGeo, BBC etc) then saved all the APKs onto a USB stick. Then installed them onto the Xi Box from the Stick. 

At that point they were installed but did not display in the Home screen so I installed this:

https://apkpure.com/display-info/ngl.utils.display

which does show on the home screen and on opening, displays all the sideloaded Apps you have installed.Sort of a container for sideloaded APKs.

Anybody want help, just PM me.