How common are serious MTB injuries

MarickH

My girlfriend and I have been only been MTBing for a few months. We do easy trails and light rides. Last weekend we rode in Koeberg; she came round a turn a little fast, hit some sand, went OTB and dislocated her shoulder. She had surgery on Friday and is having a painful recovery.

I have always been a cautious person and consequently a cautious MTBer, but her injury has made me even more hesitant.

I know that there are two types of cyclists: those that have fallen and those that are going to fall, but my question is, how common are serous MTB injuries, the kind that require surgery or extended recovery?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough question that.

Falls happen to everyone, but there are a couple of things you can try to help lessen injuries.

Firstly, give up riding. (Just kidding!!! Where's the fun in that?)

Seriously though, the worst injuries that new riders have are from falls resulting from a lack of commitment. This doesn't mean you should through caution to the wind, but there is a balance somewhere.

Go and do a skills course - you will thank your instructor for the proper start in this great sport. A knowledge of the basics, learned correctly, should help to keep you out of trouble.

Injuries are common but serious injuries? Maybe not so much.

Any sport you do, above bowls etc, carries a risk of injury. I have maimed myself at numerous sports (broken bones, dislocated knees, smashed teeth etc) but I wouldn't take another path because in the end I had more good than bad from each sport.

There are 2 types of cyclists.

1 that has fallen and 1 that will eventually fall.

Par for the course buddy.

I think you can get along without seriously injuring yourself if you always stay within your limits as a newbie. The problem with this approach is that your skills won't develop. I completely agree that attending a skills course is a great idea.

What I have found is that as my skills improve, I'm riding faster, tackling more gnarly obstacles, so if I do fall off I'm probably going to be more badly hurt simply because I'm going faster. So it is a bit of a catch 22.

But I do think that you can keep yourself out of danger by staying on easier trails, walking tricky bits, or having a good recce first. Some people might argue that you're not getting the full enjoyment out of mountain biking with this approach but I'd say that you should ride at the intensity that you're comfortable with.

Hope your friend gets better soon, and hope she climbs back in the saddle, seeks out some sand, and masters it. It's one of the nicer skills to have in your back pocket.

Don't let falling and a dislocated shoulder discourage you.  I've fallen a lot but only had two bad ones in over 20 years doing motocross and mtb.  Touch wood never had a bad fall on the road bike but can see it coming one day with the group riding!  Its surprisingly easy to dislocate the shoulder even with a small fall - trust me I know.  

As the guys here have said - good advice is to learn how to fall to try and minimise the risk....its not foolproof but does help.  Lastly, don't worry about falling.  If you're worrying about falling when riding, you will fall!

A skill course is the best you can do!

It gives you self confidence and safety.

Unfortunately, i do not know someone in Somerset.

Its that old thing of, "fall down 7 times, stand up 8".

I've had a couple injuries on the bike that required surgery, but, the way I see it, I must have thousands of hours on the bike where I was not injured, so statistically the numbers aren't too bad.

Do not discount the value of some good general fitness and mobility. It will not only help to prevent falls because of better balance, but it will decrease your chance of picking up a serious injury when you do fall. It is a fact that weight bearing exercise promotes bone density. Furthermore joints that are supported by strong and flexible muscles, ligaments and tendons are much less prone to dislocations and serious injuries.

Do strength and mobility training at least twice a week. You will reap rich benefits in the long run. If it is your scene, you can visit a gym, but by using body weight and a few dumbbells you can do a lot of strengthening exercises at home. Google is your friend. Lots of exercises and programs to choose from.

I have spent more than 1000 hours on the mtb & roadbike the past 3 years without a serious accident. Had a few minor falls on the mtb though, it happens, often when you least expect it.

I'm also a cautious rider, will never hold a Strava KOM on a technical singletrack section but I also have no intention to end up in hospital trying to push the boundaries, have seen it happen frequently with some of my more adventurous friends.

I disagree with the idea that your skills won't improve if you don't push yourself, it does, it just takes much longer...

Archived