How common are serious MTB injuries

MarickH

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You generally start out with a big bag of luck and a small bag of skills, the one generally decreases as the other increases. ( Old Motorbikers saying )

I have had many accidents in 20+ years of cycling, some have been rather spectacular according to witnesses and have only had one serious injury. Sometimes you are just lucky/unlucky whichever way gravity and physics conspire against you.

In ten years of riding and falling pretty much every ride I had no serious injuries. Then last year I went OTB twice. Once needing xrays but nothing other than bruising found, the other needing a week in ICU with brain injury.

My suggestion: get a good helmet, and replace it every couple of years.

Started in 2011 and have fallen more times than I can remember, sprained both wrists to a point I thought they would never recover, ruined kits and bike parts and quite a bit of skin.

In the first year, I was more confident than I am now even though my skills are much better now than they ever were. After each fall, im a little less confident which takes a little longer to get back each time. And then I just fall again and start the whole process over.

I guess as you get older you get more cautious and Im extra careful in the technical sections now, no more bombing, with the constant thought in my head that im going to be hurt again and unable to ride for a certain time. This alone is enough of a deterrent to be brave.

Im still quick enough though to not cause any other riders any grief.

Edit: I fell 3 weeks ago at Welvenpas on a fairly straight downhill section.. rookie error I think and went OTB.. hard and fast onto lose rocks.. deep tissue bruising on my right leg for weeks and some new scars to boot, couldnt walk on it for a week and a half etc. Wife is getting quite good at sewing up my bibs these days :)

Edited by Surv0MTB

I started Mtbing last year. Initially I fell a lot. Lots of OTP crashes some spectacular and I walked off with bruises and scratches and very sore thumbs. Its also how you fall, relax and flow with it don't fight it. I cycle a bit faster now but crash less probably due to a new bike which I do not wish to mess up too much! I think mtbing one will always crash a bit it is part of the fun and adventure. 

Having said that a friend I cycle with nearly broke his collar bone going OTP in a dirt rut. He is a martial arts master so these things happen. He has been cycling for years. Another friend who is fit who I cycle with could not get up an incline and fell back and crashed, he landed on a rock which was v-shaped and it happend to crack his rib. Bad luck. Very painful. A week later he slipped in the rain at home outside and broke his ankle needing plates and pins which is even more painful the poor guy yet this was not a mtb injury. Stuff happens I guess. 

My worst injuries surprisingly came from the most basic falls. 

Crashed and grazes happen all the time, I suppose you learn to deal with it: Still better than coming off on the road imo.

MTB crashes are at least mostly your own fault. Just a fine line between the limit of your skill and the extent of your bravery. 

Take it slow and you'll be fine.

Broken lots. It happens. If you don't break you not trying hard enough. Just kidding. I personally think they happen quite often. But it's life. I have been looking for some cotton wool to wrap myself in but it costs too much. No matter what happens though I will not give up the sport I love.

Think the worst I saw was s few years back when a guy was getting air lifted off Tokai. Just at the tar section on the way to the mast he was descending and apparently took his hands off the bars for a second. That was all it took. He had a gaping big hole where his nose used to be. It looked horrific. We watched the helicopter land, load the guy and take off. The pilot was a very cool yank dude. Brilliant flying skills.

wish i hadn't read that that section will never be the same again for me...

wish i hadn't read that that section will never be the same again for me...

That Tar section and the transition from Tar to gravel has claimed quite a few victims over the years.

Ive heard stories of  the accidents that happen on that tar to dirt section enroute to the mast. Infact I think about it everytime I bomb down some jeep track. Im now extra careful up there and generally when ever there is transitions from dirt to sand or tar to dirt etc.