December Bike Shop Experience

Eddy Gordo

I thought it ironic that one of the shops on the Good-guy-list is a place were I promised myself 3 years ago I will never walk in again. Thinking about it I now realize that shop assistants can make or break a place without even the owners knowing about it.

Maybe I should give Revolution Cycles another try. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it ironic that one of the shops on the Good-guy-list is a place were I promised myself 3 years ago I will never walk in again. Thinking about it I now realize that shop assistants can make or break a place without even the owners knowing about it.

Maybe I should give Revolution Cycles another try. 

For me it's being ignored 3 times that places a shop on my never walk in again list.

If you just get it once it could just be an off day.

The consumer psyche is interesting.

Well, exactly it. I like dealing with stirling. If he is not there I would chat to his staff and leave. 

Nixm I agree as well 2 or 3 times if still not your cup of tea then to bad for said lbs. 

I think we missing the point here and I don't believe it's to do with race as there are many very successful black people with loads of money, this has to do with the service levels we receive based on the perception on our disposable income due to our appearance..

I had a similar situation last year, we had just moved into our newly completed home in Cape Town and were busy with the landscaping and planting of trees. I had planned on visiting car dealerships to decide on cars for an incentive I was running but as I was really enjoying spending the morning with the family I didn't change as I hoped to return to the garden the rest of the afternoon. I went down to our fancy Culemborg vehicle district in a slightly messy track pants, t shirt and sandles. Anyway at this particular dealership I looked at the car I was interested in for 20 min sales people walked past me chatted to their colleagues about their weekend plans no one even acknowledged my existence, I used the time to confirm my car for my incentive and once done I went into the sales managers office and introduced myself and told him about the poor service I received and proceeded to go to the next dealership, when I walked into their showroom I went to the car I was interested in sat in it and within 2 min a young lady came over asked me if I needed help offered me coffee and within 10 minutes I had signed a deal for 4 cars with a total value of R2,1 million. The quickest deal ever!

The point is people the world over are judged on their affordability based on their appearance.

sometime back there was an incident involving Oprah and a store assistant not wanting to take an 'expensive' bag out of the cabinet because she didn't believe the woman could afford it....whether it racial stereotyping I don't know but the store lost out a sale on a €10 000 bag.

I think we missing the point here and I don't believe it's to do with race as there are many very successful black people with loads of money, this has to do with the service levels we receive based on the perception on our disposable income due to our appearance..

I had a similar situation last year, we had just moved into our newly completed home in Cape Town and were busy with the landscaping and planting of trees. I had planned on visiting car dealerships to decide on cars for an incentive I was running but as I was really enjoying spending the morning with the family I didn't change as I hoped to return to the garden the rest of the afternoon. I went down to our fancy Culemborg vehicle district in a slightly messy track pants, t shirt and sandles. Anyway at this particular dealership I looked at the car I was interested in for 20 min sales people walked past me chatted to their colleagues about their weekend plans no one even acknowledged my existence, I used the time to confirm my car for my incentive and once done I went into the sales managers office and introduced myself and told him about the poor service I received and proceeded to go to the next dealership, when I walked into their showroom I went to the car I was interested in sat in it and within 2 min a young lady came over asked me if I needed help offered me coffee and within 10 minutes I had signed a deal for 4 cars with a total value of R2,1 million. The quickest deal ever!

The point is people the world over are judged on their affordability based on their appearance.

sometime back there was an incident involving Oprah and a store assistant not wanting to take an 'expensive' bag out of the cabinet because she didn't believe the woman could afford it....whether it racial stereotyping I don't know but the store lost out a sale on a €10 000 bag.

Its not about RACE, its about bad service.

Friend of my father, white guy, wanted to buy a brand new Hilux double cab (dont ask me why) the white sales man made him go to an ATM to draw a mini statement to show he had money in his account, because he wasnt dressed well. He went back and bought the car cash from another salesman. He happened to be a very wealthy hippie type.... The guy was just an idiot, not a racist.

Point is, bad service is bad service an idiot is an idiot. If there is bad service between two people of different races, it does not automatically make it about racism. Thinking that every negative experience a person has is driven by racism, is where the "chip" statements comes from.

If the idiots stereotyping is costing them money then they are punishing themselves, and their businesses wont do well.

My main gripe though is that the stores I did not mention have this great reputation and yet they fail to deliver.

I suppose for others the stores that I like people again dont like. 

The difference for person person is huge and is not right. 

A customer at the end of the day is a customer. I dont mind that staff are chatting etc. But when a client is in the shop that client needs no that client must be acknowledged and made to feel welcome. Bicycle parts are these days very pricey and not like in my youth readily available at the corner shop.

Agreed on Crown Cycles - Mark is a brilliant mechanic and the team are just great to deal with, prices very reasonable. Pitty I have moved away from the area, but I will still drive my bike there for work needed.

I broke off my rear derailleur this December whilst down in the Cape. Decided to give Chris Willemse a go as I had been a very loyal cwc online customer but had never had the opportunity to actually visit the shop. Oh the horror! I spent 50 minutes in the shop waiting for my order. They later realised that someone put my order on the counter, ready for pick up, but they were all to busy having a chit chat to care. That R85 delivery charge, to not have to go to the shop, is money well spent.

I also visited CWC in december as im not from durbanville area... the shop looks fantastic and clean... for the rest i never felt soooo unwanted in a LBS. I had my bike serviced there and the older guy there at the service station was very rude and didnt appreciate his jokes. They made me feel so unwanted as a customer and ill never ever go back !! 

What Rider3000 says, especially the oke behind the service counter....

will only go there to get clothing or acessories on special.

Also, lots of the sale staff are probably casuals, no disprespect to them, but they didnt have a clue when I asked technical questions, the funniest part was when i had to show this guy on their own PC about an item that was on sale.

I also visited CWC in december as im not from durbanville area... the shop looks fantastic and clean... for the rest i never felt soooo unwanted in a LBS. I had my bike serviced there and the older guy there at the service station was very rude and didnt appreciate his jokes. They made me feel so unwanted as a customer and ill never ever go back !! 

When they opened their new store I was in the market for a bike. They had an All mountain I was interested in. I experienced exactly what you described

It is ridiculous how one of the most important things for a shop's success is customer service, and yet they cannot get that simple thing right. I have been to numerous shops where it feels like they are doing me a favour by serving me.

Why advertise if you don't want customers in your shop?

I'm not going to name any names, but let's just say I am glad I stay in Somerset West. Spoilt for choice here.

For me it's being ignored 3 times that places a shop on my never walk in again list.

If you just get it once it could just be an off day.

The consumer psyche is interesting.

Jeez you're understanding and patient

Sorry man you may be a great guy but to bring race into it just does nothing for me.

That's pretty one dimensional since racism in cycling is alive and well.

or can't it be spoken about because too many people live in denial (besides Egyptians)

Archived