Noobie - Pyga vs Specialized

Gummi

How so?...

26/38 crank with 11/36 cassette provides the following gear ratios on the extremes:

26/38 0.72

38/11 3.45

X01as follows:

34/42 0.80

34/10 3.40

32/42 0.76

32/10 3.20

As you can see, X01 with a 32T chainring will provide just about the same ratio of gears as a 2x10 (26/38 with 11/36 cassette) - some will argue it's simpler as there's less superfluous gears within the range.

Fair enough. Personally though, there are certain trails around my area where a 32 would probably be a bit furious for me and I would really struggle up steep technical climbs so would it not be better starting out with a 28 or 30 up front?

I'm definitely no expert on this topic but I really think at certain times I would miss my Granny gear, especially when I had just started riding.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. Personally though, there are certain trails around my area where a 32 would probably be a bit furious for me and I would really struggle up steep technical climbs so would it not be better starting out with a 28 or 30 up front?

I'm definitely no expert on this topic but I really think at certain times I would miss my Granny gear, especially when I had just started riding.

Are you running a triple crank or 2x?

The OP's comparison is between a 2x and 1x - the comparable easiest ratios are 0.72 and 0.76 - oh so similar... 

Basically on the X01 with a 32T chainring he has the same 'granny' gear as he would on a 26/38 2x.

If he chooses to go even smaller on the 2x, to a 24/36 then, yes a 28T would be the same.

Did I mis something - the OP never said what he's planning to spend...

But, it does seem that he is comparing two bikes from different price brackets just based on the specs.

I love my PYGA and am bias but it doesn't seem a fair comparison for the Spez, based on specs...

Too true....I thought I was going nuts but also cant find anything about R40K (despite my earlier input).

Too true....I thought I was going nuts but also cant find anything about R40K (despite my earlier input).

The whole 40k thing started where Rawboned said +- 40k so that's where the price thing came from

The whole 40k thing started where Rawboned said +- 40k so that's where the price thing came from

Yup, based on the price for a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon (which based on the specs looks to be the Specialized option).

Yup, based on the price for a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon (which based on the specs looks to be the Specialized option).

Ah - so it's a R40k Spez.

As mentioned, I can't see the PYGA build as listed coming close to R40k.

Not really apples vs apples.

This will be the bike to compare against the pyga in the same price. Camber expert carbon evo

FRAME
FACT 9m carbon front triangle, 29" EVO geometry, FACT IS construction, M5 alloy rear triangle, tapered headtube, carbon PF30 BB, full internal cable routing, 142mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
SWAT
Bottle cage w/ SWAT Technology
REAR SHOCK
Custom FOX Float CTD Factory w/ AUTOSAG, custom EVO tune, Kashima coating, Climb, Trail, Descend settings w/ Trail and rebound adjust, 197x51mm
FORK
RockShox Pike RC 29, Solo Air spring, tapered alloy steerer, w/ lockout, compression, rebound adjust, 15mm thru-axle, 120mm travel
HEADSET
1-1/8 and 1-1/2" threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearings
STEM
Specialized, forged alloy, 6-degree rise
HANDLEBARS
Specialized XC, mini rise, 7050 alloy, 8-backsweep, 6-upsweep, 10mm rise, 31.8mm
GRIPS
Specialized Sip Grip, light lock-on, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, Others: XL
FRONT BRAKE
Shimano XT BR-M785, hydraulic disc, Ice Tech pads, S/M: 180mm rotor, Others: 200mm
REAR BRAKE
Shimano XT BR-M785, hydraulic disc, Ice Tech pads, S/M: 160mm rotor, Others: 180mm
BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano XT BL-M785, hydraulic, alloy lever
REAR DERAILLEUR
SRAM X01, 11-speed, carbon cage
SHIFT LEVERS
SRAM X01, 11-speed, trigger
CASSETTE
SRAM XG 1195, 11-speed, 10-42
CHAIN
SRAM, 11-speed
CRANKSET
Custom SRAM S-2200, carbon, PF30 spindle, 30T, 94mm BCD spider
BOTTOM BRACKET
SRAM, PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge
PEDALS
Resin test ride, w/ toe clips, CEN std.
RIMS
Roval Traverse Fattie 29, alloy disc, 29mm wide, 24/28h
FRONT HUB
Roval Traverse, 15mm thru-axle end caps, 24h
REAR HUB
Roval Traverse 142+, XX1 driver body, 12mm thru-axle, 28h

post-40228-0-37773400-1421410972_thumb.jpg

Can't comment on the PYGA, although all I hear/read is that it's damn good.

However, I can comment on the Camber. I Love mine (2014 model) ! it's an absolutely amazing bike to ride!

this is a thread comparing it to an Epic, but you'll still get an idea of what it's like from the feedback.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140397-what-came-first-the-chickenamber-or-the-eggpic-a-long-probably-boring-read/

Happy and safe riding whatever you decide on.

However, if you decide on the Camber, please buy tons of Spez gear...... helmet, gloves, shorts, shirt,socks, shoes, jacket, t-shirt,bib, underwear,slops, belt, earrings,beanie,cap,reading glasses,the limited edition Jack Parow Spez cap... everything Spez...

Then wear it ALL when you go riding.... give the "haters" more reason to "hate" ;)

Bliksem! As a newby I'd be happy with any MTB in a R10k price range nevermind a Pyga or Spez..

Money aside - I hope you enjoy the sport buddy! Your entering a awesome family :thumbup:

This will be the bike to compare against the pyga in the same price. Camber expert carbon evo

Yip, and a really nice ride the Camber Evo is...

I've ridden both properly and would not mind swopping my 110 for an Evo. Is it a much better bike? No, it's just slightly different. The PYGA feels a little bit more lively due to the steeper head angle, but the Camber is of course slightly more stable. The 110 feels bottomless in the rear, the Evo gives you much more feedback and feels like it reaches its limits quicker. Most 110s (mine included) run Revelations, the Pike on the Evo is without a doubt one up on that front, but if you're running a 140mm Pike on a 110, they're two extremely closely matched bikes in terms of being the fastest down the hill. Do I prefer one above the other? No.

Have a 110 so I am completely subjective and biased .......  PYGA! PYGA! PYGA!

There is a reason why it has a cult-like following.

Either way .... happy trails bud!

The camber is an awesome bike. My buddy has one and he raves about it. I have a Pyga and I love it as well. Comes down to budget and preference. But, as was mentioned earlier, there's a reason the Pygas have a cult like following.

They put a big smile on your face!

Have a 110 so I am completely subjective and biased .......  PYGA! PYGA! PYGA! There is a reason why it has a cult-like following. Either way .... happy trails bud!

You keeping yours then?

Archived