1 Eccentric bb's they always creak in my somewhat limited experience

2 chain tensioners

3 Slotted dropouts with slotted brake mounts. .. too much fiddly work

But thats just my opinion. .

ok - so its 3...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with vetseun a wee bit biased about the on-one. ( apparently the frames are very scarce at the moment)

The most fun for me was in the build, collecting parts, begged, borrowed and bargained for.

Steel most certainly is real!

I prefer the str...

the 2 things I don't like on ss bikes are:

1 Eccentric bb's they always creak in my somewhat limited experience

2 chain tensioners

3 Slotted dropouts with slotted brake mounts. .. too much fiddly work

But thats just my opinion. .

ok - so its 3...

The niner ebb is the one of the best. That being said the one I had on my gt peace never creaked either. All about keeping it clean and greased.

But my real suggestion about a steel SS is buy the best you can.

That will be the best riding bike in terms of feel. The better the steel the better the feel.

The "steel is real" thing never had any impact with me, nor did I fully understand it.

I went ahead and ignored the phrase, and built up my first ss from an old aluminium framed hardtail i had in the garage.

It had too narrow bars, a front shock that didnt really work and v brakes ( although I could not fault the brakes at all) it did what it said on the box, I completed a couple of races with it ( including a deltadash with horrible gearing)

Eventually splashed out and ordered an on-one frame for $199 that was on special. Built it up and after finally riding the on one for the first time on a trail, the steel is real suddenly made sense to me.

i am kicking myself and really hurting for not buying the inbred 26er single speed when i had the chance :(

Build your own ... from scratch ... SS is for FUN

Agreed, and if you are the right size, I have a Ritchey P29 frame in excellent condition for you  :thumbup:

The "steel is real" thing never had any impact with me, nor did I fully understand it.

I went ahead and ignored the phrase, and built up my first ss from an old aluminium framed hardtail i had in the garage.

It had too narrow bars, a front shock that didnt really work and v brakes ( although I could not fault the brakes at all) it did what it said on the box, I completed a couple of races with it ( including a deltadash with horrible gearing)

Eventually splashed out and ordered an on-one frame for $199 that was on special. Built it up and after finally riding the on one for the first time on a trail, the steel is real suddenly made sense to me.

Except for the v-brakes we have the same kind of story. Although not fancy Reynolds or whatever the Inbred has a lekker feel compared to my old momsen that I converted.

Agreed, and if you are the right size, I have a Ritchey P29 frame in excellent condition for you  :thumbup:

Ag nee man.... keep it... you know you need it....  :)

But you better bring gears next week,.... :)

has to be steel. Niner or Cotic Simple.

Only issue I have with the cotics and I have one, is that for the money you pay for it you can buy a frame with proper sliders...

Archived