loadshedding

Matchstix

This is the statement in response to Nersa's decision to approve only 11bn of Eskon's R22bn proposed price hike, "...we as management went on a three-day retreat to look at the implications of Nersa’s decision and I’m happy to report we put measures in place to make sure load shedding doesn’t happen.” 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just reading the same on SA Money web which goes a bit further into the issue

http://today.moneyweb.co.za/article?id=577626#.VuhsY8Lmq74

“The issue isn’t that Eskom has magically turned around -- the issue is that demand has fundamentally collapsed,” said Shaun Nel, a spokesman for the Energy Intensive Users Group of South Africa, which represents 31 of the country’s largest electricity consumers including Sasol and Anglo American Platinum. “If the commodities situation remains for next year as well, then we’ll see the likelihood of power cuts next year significantly diminished as well.” 

“We have seen a drop in terms of demand, but it’s not drastic,” Eskom spokesman Khulu Phasiwe said in an interview. "There may be a drop in terms of demand in the mining sector," but that is largely compensated through purchases by neighbouring countries, he said.

Eskom has agreed to sell power to Zambia and Zimbabwe, both of which suffer electricity shortages. They are discretionary deals that can be downsized if South Africa’s grid becomes constrained"

They're saying the demand hasn't dropped much, but then in the same breath confirm that the reason it hasn't is because they're selling spare capacity to our neighbours. How idiotic can you get? Then they have the nerve to congratulate themselves on saving us from loadshedding. I wonder what the Eskom bonus pool is going to look like based on this stellar performance?

They're saying the demand hasn't dropped much, but then in the same breath confirm that the reason it hasn't is because they're selling spare capacity to our neighbours. How idiotic can you get? Then they have the nerve to congratulate themselves on saving us from loadshedding. I wonder what the Eskom bonus pool is going to look like based on this stellar performance?

Well it's good business, they need to make money and selling it to the neighbors is one way.

As long as they have done their homework properly and factored in the winter increase in demand and don't land up running out of capacity......

Well it's good business, they need to make money and selling it to the neighbors is one way.

As long as they have done their homework properly and factored in the winter increase in demand and don't land up running out of capacity......

power for sale yes, but on their terms to reduce supply when our needs rise does not offer security for the purchaser. K@k business model if you asked me.

I think that although the shrinking economy has assisted Escom they are also turning the ship around slowly.(Holding thumbs).

They indicated a week ago that they generated the most Electricity since September 2014 and did it two days in a row.

They also cut the usage of the Gas Turbines by more than 50% . These Turbines is what is driving up there cost. So they need to reduce the use of the Turbines to almost nothing.

Lets hope they get it right as the companies can not all start generating power, as the individuals can do at home.

I never thought I's say this but, I'm in Zambia at the moment and load shedding is a daily 8hr occurrence. some have told me it's due to a lack of water to drive hydroelectric power generators, and others have just shrugged their shoulders. But it's happening either way.

I suddenly feel grateful to be South African  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I never thought I's say this but, I'm in Zambia at the moment and load shedding is a daily 8hr occurrence. some have told me it's due to a lack of water to drive hydroelectric power generators, and others have just shrugged their shoulders. But it's happening either way.

I suddenly feel grateful to be South African :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was there in August last year, same story. How's the traffic lol.

I was there in August last year, same story. How's the traffic lol.

The traffic is k@k, went up to Kitwe for a couple of days and the roads are shocking, SA does not know what a pothole is. Ndola was a little better and Lusaka has so far pleasantly surprised. 

Now just to synchronise the traffic lights and implement nationwide driver ed and it may get better. It's a real adventure getting into a car here though....

The traffic is k@k, went up to Kitwe for a couple of days and the roads are shocking, SA does not know what a pothole is. Ndola was a little better and Lusaka has so far pleasantly surprised.

Now just to synchronise the traffic lights and implement nationwide driver ed and it may get better. It's a real adventure getting into a car here though....

I flew Lusaka to kitwe and then drove to ndola, scary stuff with all the road works going on.

Was just reading the same on SA Money web which goes a bit further into the issue

http://today.moneyweb.co.za/article?id=577626#.VuhsY8Lmq74

“The issue isn’t that Eskom has magically turned around -- the issue is that demand has fundamentally collapsed,” said Shaun Nel, a spokesman for the Energy Intensive Users Group of South Africa, which represents 31 of the country’s largest electricity consumers including Sasol and Anglo American Platinum. “If the commodities situation remains for next year as well, then we’ll see the likelihood of power cuts next year significantly diminished as well.” 

“We have seen a drop in terms of demand, but it’s not drastic,” Eskom spokesman Khulu Phasiwe said in an interview. "There may be a drop in terms of demand in the mining sector," but that is largely compensated through purchases by neighbouring countries, he said.

Eskom has agreed to sell power to Zambia and Zimbabwe, both of which suffer electricity shortages. They are discretionary deals that can be downsized if South Africa’s grid becomes constrained"

Yes exactly that... The demand has dropped because a lot of businesses have lost money due to load shedding and have explored alternative means. Some go the cheap route and just install a Generator. Others have realized the benefit of generating your own power.

The public is increasingly switching to Solar Heaters and some also opted to install PV Power. 

Although its still expensive, one can get a loan and still be cash positive at the end of the month. 

What I don't get is why Escom does not escalate maintenance if there is a continuous surplus? Surely this would be more beneficial financially opposed to go back to diesel backup capacity when demand increases again?

Welcome to the future :whistling:

hat, coat, door

I read an article about nuclear vs salt electricity generation in SA but can't find the article again.. can anyone help?

The comparison was how much cheaper salt electricity implementation was in the short term.. safer too.

I read an article about nuclear vs salt electricity generation in SA but can't find the article again.. can anyone help?

The comparison was how much cheaper salt electricity implementation was in the short term.. safer too.

You know who to speak to... The Janitor aka Capricorn

• 2 years later...