loadshedding

Matchstix

Overheating being in the cupboard may actually also invalidate the warranty, although they would have to try prove it. (e.g. Some vendors will not replace failed server components under warranty if they are hosted in racks with glass doors)

Got that covered too, the cupboard it resides in is large and ventilated outward (which also acts as an exhaust by directing any fan humming "noise" into the garden).

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok that explanation makes it easier to understand, how about the lights, do you connect it on the same way through the inverter?

If you want to do lights search gumtree for "rechargeable LED lights" 

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-led/midrand/loadshedding-rechargeable-led-light-bulbs/1001277765890910004284509

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-other-electronics/bedfordview/buy-1-get-1-free-special-+-load+shedding-buster-+-rechargable-led-light-bulbs-with-remote+control/1001281161230910383094909

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-lamps-lights/fourways/rechargeable-led-lightbulbs-with-remote-control-singles-bulk-available/1001284982180910005488909

use an existing lamp or buy one and stick in a corner, fit these lights as you would a normal bulb, comes with its own battery which charges continuously, then when power goes off, use remote to switch on.  I have 1 per room and is much cheaper than wiring in an inverter and batteries to your DB for light :)

Good thing is you can also unscrew the bulb and use it as a torch !!

Edited by shaper

HI - I am going the generator route - I was wondering if anyone knew where I can buy a nice sound proof enclosure for outside taking in to account that I will need to have it ventilated. Otherwise I will build something.

What would be the best way to sound proof it - given that there is a bit of heat, egg boxes dont excite me too much...

HI - I am going the generator route - I was wondering if anyone knew where I can buy a nice sound proof enclosure for outside taking in to account that I will need to have it ventilated. Otherwise I will build something.

What would be the best way to sound proof it - given that there is a bit of heat, egg boxes dont excite me too much...

if you MUST build it yourself - use flameproof ceiling sound boards...

Altenately - check your pm's

Yip my unit is driving me abit batshit crazy i have to cover it with a towel and cushion to muffle the sound.

That sound like an ex-girlfriend of mine, many years ago :ph34r:

As an aside, be careful your inverter doesn't overheat. Ok, that sounds like me, quite recently :whistling:

if you MUST build it yourself - use flameproof ceiling sound boards...

Altenately - check your pm's

No PM... hint hint.

I made a rudimentary version with some pallets and some fiberglass insulation that the guys use for aircon ducting (25mm fiber with aluminium backing) and a fan behind the gennie that works really well, so much so that i hear my neighbors more then i hear my own, but I would still like to make up something a bit more tidy.

If you want to do lights search gumtree for "rechargeable LED lights"

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-led/midrand/loadshedding-rechargeable-led-light-bulbs/1001277765890910004284509

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-other-electronics/bedfordview/buy-1-get-1-free-special-+-load+shedding-buster-+-rechargable-led-light-bulbs-with-remote+control/1001281161230910383094909

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-lamps-lights/fourways/rechargeable-led-lightbulbs-with-remote-control-singles-bulk-available/1001284982180910005488909

use an existing lamp or buy one and stick in a corner, fit these lights as you would a normal bulb, comes with its own battery which charges continuously, then when power goes off, use remote to switch on. I have 1 per room and is much cheaper than wiring in an inverter and batteries to your DB for light :)

Good thing is you can also unscrew the bulb and use it as a torch !!

How long have you used them? Read a few reviews were people weren't happy with the quality and durability. Might be they bought cheaper versions ...

How long have you used them? Read a few reviews were people weren't happy with the quality and durability. Might be they bought cheaper versions ...

Only had for 2 months but are currently working ok, so long term cannot say... but are easily replaced at those prices!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Not science fiction: SA may soon have too much electricity

http://mg.co.za/article/2016-03-10-not-science-fiction-sa-may-soon-have-too-much-electricity 

South Africa could be heading for a surplus of electricity within five years as Eskom, the state power monopoly, has accelerated its build programme and the first unit of the Ingula pumped storage scheme is a year ahead of schedule, Eskom chief executive officer Brian Molefe told journalists at a media briefing at Parliament.

But Molefe indicated that this does not necessarily mean that Eskom will not be involved in the proposed nuclear build programme. He said nuclear was “a cheap and clean” technology, but the ultimate decision on the programme was in the government’s hands.

“We are a year ahead at Ingula,” Molefe said. Ingula is under construction on the escarpment of the Little Drakensberg, between the Free State and KwaZulu-Natal. The scheme consists of an upper dam (Bedford Dam) and a lower dam (Bramhoek Dam), 4.5km apart and connected by waterway tunnels.

The underground powerhouse will house four 333MW reversible pump-turbines. The first has come on stream a year ahead of schedule.

Extra power capacity

When this powerhouse comes on stream – all four units are tipped to be in operation by the end of the year and another one will be up before winter – Eskom will have about 1?400MW of extra power capacity.

Once the coal-fired Medupi and Kusile plants come on stream, they will add nearly 10?000MW of electricity, which senior Eskom managers argue will radically change the power position of the entity.

Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown said: “I commend the team at Eskom for progress made in the execution of the build programme and overall improvement in the performance of the business. She noted that its leadership had been pivotal in raising the morale at the entity.

Molefe, promising that there would be no load-shedding in the winter months, said nuclear energy would be a good route to go “even if we have a surplus [from Eskom’s other generating activities]”.

Adding nuclear power units would create an opportunity to generate income from electricity sales, and could “reduce the cost [of electricity] for ordinary citizens”.

Pressed on how the private sector could get involved in Eskom businesses, Brown said that Eskom “must decide which assets [should be disposed off]”. She felt strongly that the “basic services” of generation, transmission and distribution should remain in the hands of the state. But bringing in the private sector to help Eskom to recommission them mothballed power stations could be an option, she added.

Downgrade fears

On a potential Moody’s downgrade of Eskom, Molefe said: “Let us not jump before the drum starts beating. They [Moody’s] are approaching the drums … let us work together as South Africans to show it is not necessary to downgrade [Eskom]” or any of the state-owned entities.

He said Moody’s was doing preparatory work to consider whether it was necessary to downgrade the electricity utility. A downgrade would still leave South Africa a notch above junk status.

“Even if we do end with a downgrade [by one notch], it is still investment grade,” Molefe said.

Not science fiction: SA may soon have too much electricity

http://mg.co.za/article/2016-03-10-not-science-fiction-sa-may-soon-have-too-much-electricity 

South Africa could be heading for a surplus of electricity within five years as Eskom, the state power monopoly, has accelerated its build programme and the first unit of the Ingula pumped storage scheme is a year ahead of schedule, Eskom chief executive officer Brian Molefe told journalists at a media briefing at Parliament.

But Molefe indicated that this does not necessarily mean that Eskom will not be involved in the proposed nuclear build programme. He said nuclear was “a cheap and clean” technology, but the ultimate decision on the programme was in the government’s hands.

“We are a year ahead at Ingula,” Molefe said. Ingula is under construction on the escarpment of the Little Drakensberg, between the Free State and KwaZulu-Natal. The scheme consists of an upper dam (Bedford Dam) and a lower dam (Bramhoek Dam), 4.5km apart and connected by waterway tunnels.

The underground powerhouse will house four 333MW reversible pump-turbines. The first has come on stream a year ahead of schedule.

Extra power capacity

When this powerhouse comes on stream – all four units are tipped to be in operation by the end of the year and another one will be up before winter – Eskom will have about 1?400MW of extra power capacity.

Once the coal-fired Medupi and Kusile plants come on stream, they will add nearly 10?000MW of electricity, which senior Eskom managers argue will radically change the power position of the entity.

Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown said: “I commend the team at Eskom for progress made in the execution of the build programme and overall improvement in the performance of the business. She noted that its leadership had been pivotal in raising the morale at the entity.

Molefe, promising that there would be no load-shedding in the winter months, said nuclear energy would be a good route to go “even if we have a surplus [from Eskom’s other generating activities]”.

Adding nuclear power units would create an opportunity to generate income from electricity sales, and could “reduce the cost [of electricity] for ordinary citizens”.

Pressed on how the private sector could get involved in Eskom businesses, Brown said that Eskom “must decide which assets [should be disposed off]”. She felt strongly that the “basic services” of generation, transmission and distribution should remain in the hands of the state. But bringing in the private sector to help Eskom to recommission them mothballed power stations could be an option, she added.

Downgrade fears

On a potential Moody’s downgrade of Eskom, Molefe said: “Let us not jump before the drum starts beating. They [Moody’s] are approaching the drums … let us work together as South Africans to show it is not necessary to downgrade [Eskom]” or any of the state-owned entities.

He said Moody’s was doing preparatory work to consider whether it was necessary to downgrade the electricity utility. A downgrade would still leave South Africa a notch above junk status.

“Even if we do end with a downgrade [by one notch], it is still investment grade,” Molefe said.

No No No... We are not heading for a surplus because Eskom is doing a great job in spending our tax money on expensive, dirty power stations. The SA public has given you the finger and are increasingly installing Solar Water Heaters and PV Power systems.

Companies, like mine, know that if it was not for the SA middle and upper class being sick of having to deal with load shedding, after you took our Tax money to build a firepool instead of maintaining the existing power staions, Eskom would still be Knee Deep in s###.

Rather forget about coal fired power and invest in Renewables.. incentivise my clients to install a Solar PV system or Solar Heater again.. But No.. too many of you have "interests" in the coal mines.

No No No... We are not heading for a surplus because Eskom is doing a great job in spending our tax money on expensive, dirty power stations. The SA public has given you the finger and are increasingly installing Solar Water Heaters and PV Power systems.

Companies, like mine, know that if it was not for the SA middle and upper class being sick of having to deal with load shedding, after you took our Tax money to build a firepool instead of maintaining the existing power staions, Eskom would still be Knee Deep in s###.

Rather forget about coal fired power and invest in Renewables.. incentivise my clients to install a Solar PV system or Solar Heater again.. But No.. too many of you have "interests" in the coal mines.

The problem is that they are not looking for the best solution to suit everyone, they are looking for the best one to suit their pockets and their comrades pockets.

The problem is that they are not looking for the best solution to suit everyone, they are looking for the best one to suit their pockets and their comrades pockets.

Thats exactly the problem.. They know what the solution is, but they do not care because it does not financially benefit em.

Well don't worry too much.. Apart from maintenance load shedding as a form of power management is unlikely to return soon.. Eskom boasts that its them.. but this article says different..

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/energy/158643-load-shedding-was-ended-by-south-africas-weak-economy-not-eskom.html

Was just reading the same on SA Money web which goes a bit further into the issue

http://today.moneyweb.co.za/article?id=577626#.VuhsY8Lmq74

“The issue isn’t that Eskom has magically turned around -- the issue is that demand has fundamentally collapsed,” said Shaun Nel, a spokesman for the Energy Intensive Users Group of South Africa, which represents 31 of the country’s largest electricity consumers including Sasol and Anglo American Platinum. “If the commodities situation remains for next year as well, then we’ll see the likelihood of power cuts next year significantly diminished as well.” 

“We have seen a drop in terms of demand, but it’s not drastic,” Eskom spokesman Khulu Phasiwe said in an interview. "There may be a drop in terms of demand in the mining sector," but that is largely compensated through purchases by neighbouring countries, he said.

Eskom has agreed to sell power to Zambia and Zimbabwe, both of which suffer electricity shortages. They are discretionary deals that can be downsized if South Africa’s grid becomes constrained"