loadshedding

Matchstix

ours has been like that for a while!

fortunately the wife stays home with the boys, so there is a hot plate of food waiting in the oven for me when I get home from my commute......and the geyser has been on too, so a nice hot shower.

now if one tries the whole switching off of geysers when out or not needing hot water, and both partners work AND you have kids who are collected from day care, now you need to make food and get the rug rats cleaned...can't be a fun task.

it will be interesting to see the no. of gas hobs fitted as of late and also if there will be a "baby boom" over this load shedding period.

Fitting one in August after tax season. 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitted a gas hob on January 24th, still on the same 9kg bottle.

As part of a minor renovation, replaced our conventional geyser with a solar geyser. I'm keen to see the savings on electricity.

All small things to try and reduce our reliance on our national power non-provider.....

I'm just wondering whether to go full gas, or hob only with leccie oven. Judging by the forums, there's little to no difference with the advent of thermofans in both gas & electric, plus with the increases coming in the future I'm inclined to go for full gas... 

I'm just wondering whether to go full gas, or hob only with leccie oven. Judging by the forums, there's little to no difference with the advent of thermofans in both gas & electric, plus with the increases coming in the future I'm inclined to go for full gas... 

a lady friend who really knows here way around a stove noted that she struggles when doing meringues and rusks she recons if could be that the heat is not as easy to control when running lower temps 

a lady friend who really knows here way around a stove noted that she struggles when doing meringues and rusks she recons if could be that the heat is not as easy to control when running lower temps 

Hmmmm... Shot. Not that I'm doing meringues and rusks, but I do do the odd 100 degree low and slow roast 

Dunno if it's just my imagination, but since the loadshedding has started, I'm "using" a lot more electricity. Normaly 400 units is enough to carry me through the mont (that includes Jacuzzi usage). Nowadays I need to buy more units towards the end of the month. As it stands now I will have to buy more units before the end of this week. And I have not used the Jacuzzi once this month.

Edited by Wannabe

That's what my minister of home affairs says as well. She loves the gas hob, but prefers the electric oven. :)

Edited by DJR

Midrand is the lucky winner of the loadshedding lotto right now....fortunately (or should that be, unfortunately?) we have a generator...

Ja right. Just checking for a friend hey? First you buy a Spaz, now an apron, what's next?

If you are a mountainbiker (especially German or Swiss) you always go Full Gas...

Dunno if it's just my imagination, but since the loadshedding has started, I'm "using" a lot more electricity. Normaly 400 units is enough to carry me through the mont (that includes Jacuzzi usage). Nowadays I need to buy more units towards the end of the month. As it stands now I will have to buy more units before the end of this week. And I have not used the Jacuzzi once this month.

Jacuzzi .... you pimp you

Ja right. Just checking for a friend hey? First you buy a Spaz, now an apron, what's next?

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/young-man-apron-baked-tasty-pie-16924886.jpg

I have a full gas version and LOVE it. Granted the oven component does take a while to get used to but once you get the hang of it it's happy days of full roast dinners during 5 hours of load shedding

We even use the hob for our kettle, we do not own an electric one

I have a full gas version and LOVE it. Granted the oven component does take a while to get used to but once you get the hang of it it's happy days of full roast dinners during 5 hours of load shedding

We even use the hob for our kettle, we do not own an electric one

Awesome