[Event] Amarider 100Miler

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what Typical is.....

I weight 95kg and will be going with 1.4bar, a bit harder than for Gravel and Grape which was 1,2.

Wow, that's seriously low! What tyres do you have? Is that front and back?

We did some riding in the Tankwa this past weekend roads very corrugated at places . Did 1.2 front and 1.4 at the back on a hardtail and was fine . Weight is 80

Thanks for the insights! Another tyre question - my wife normally runs very light XC race type tyres, which is fine for her weight and riding style, but too risky for me. However I was wondering whether I shouldn't perhaps get a set like hers for me exclusively for gravel road races, given the lower associated risks than with MTB trail riding/racing. I would save about 150g per tyre, which on rotational weight makes a huge difference, especially over 160km!! What do you guys think? Too risky?

Thanks for the insights! Another tyre question - my wife normally runs very light XC race type tyres, which is fine for her weight and riding style, but too risky for me. However I was wondering whether I shouldn't perhaps get a set like hers for me exclusively for gravel road races, given the lower associated risks than with MTB trail riding/racing. I would save about 150g per tyre, which on rotational weight makes a huge difference, especially over 160km!! What do you guys think? Too risky?

This is really just my own biased opinion but I belief it is a bit of a fallacy that dirtroadie races are significantly easier on the tyres, I have just seen too many people fixing punctures on their lightweight tyres on Karoo2Coast,100 Miler, Hell&Back etc , these terrains can be just as brutal on your tyres as the more technical races. You still take a risk if you go lighter.

for 100miler there is nothing technical over the 160km except for one short rocky descent, again it's not that technical, I'm sure you'll even be able to get away with a set of road tires just make sure you have enough sealant. So I'll give you a vote for the xco tires.

for 100miler there is nothing technical over the 160km except for one short rocky descent, again it's not that technical, I'm sure you'll even be able to get away with a set of road tires just make sure you have enough sealant. So I'll give you a vote for the xco tires.

[emoji3]

Lots of Devil Thorns, BIG wicket ones!!  So make sure you have enough sealant in your tires.

I have some bad news boys and girls! If my weather app is anything to go by we're in for a tough day in the saddle - "heavy rain" and "strong wind"!! Let's hope this forecast changes to more favourable conditions closer to the time......

I have some bad news boys and girls! If my weather app is anything to go by we're in for a tough day in the saddle - "heavy rain" and "strong wind"!! Let's hope this forecast changes to more favourable conditions closer to the time......

That report will change 8 times before the weekend ...  I wouldn't worry just yet... 

By the looks of the weather report, I am out.

Wet races = lots of maintenance

Don't mind a little water, but not keen to ride in rain & mud for 3 hours.

"flame suit on"

Last year was also constant fight against the wind; yip not interested in grinding away R2000 worth of parts in that lovely silt and water mix.

This is really just my own biased opinion but I belief it is a bit of a fallacy that dirtroadie races are significantly easier on the tyres, I have just seen too many people fixing punctures on their lightweight tyres on Karoo2Coast,100 Miler, Hell&Back etc , these terrains can be just as brutal on your tyres as the more technical races. You still take a risk if you go lighter.

Agree.  I had 2 sidewalls punctures both sides of the front tire on the Nissen trail seeker this weekend. 

Looked like someone shot the tyres with a pellet gun straight through. 

This happened on a jeep track.

Still don't know how it happenend.

Bought 2 Spez Fast Track Grid 2.0 tires with thicker sidewall for race wheels today.

Not going to chance all the cost/training to get to a race just to suffer another sidewall puncture to save 60 grams on light tires.

By the looks of the weather report, I am out.

Wet races = lots of maintenance

Don't mind a little water, but not keen to ride in rain & mud for 3 hours.

"flame suit on"

the race is 12 days away & you are already making weather decision today, common just be honest what is the real reason?

Can someone tell me how much of this race is sandy, I. E. Not a dirt road (where there is a massive difference in effort required). I have been asked to do it, but not knowing the route, 160km is a helluva long way if you a) not used to the distance and b) are still slogging through 'dunes'. Thanks :)

Archived